Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM

458 posts, read 593,087 times

Advertisements

Funny thread. We are originally from a Philadelphia suburb. So we are used to New Yorkers complaining, telling us how we should be more like NY, etc. Listening to NY sports radio is hilarious, all those titles and they still moan all the time. Its hard to relate as Phila. hasn't won in over 20 years.

Anyway, it is a give and take. Most New Yorkers are good people. And the state of NY contributes more money to the Federal treasury than it takes out...unlike many red states. So take the good with the bad.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,786,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
It's seems like whether you come from New York "en masse" or alone, New York City socializes you to complain even if you're from Jersey.
When I do say en masse, I mean it more as a "I heard Florida was a great, this person and that person moved down there, NY SUCKS, IM COMING TO RUIN FLORIDA!!!" than in a literal sense. Something like a conformist effect.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:19 PM

396 posts, read 396,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida cracker View Post
i grew up here, first time i heard a new yorker it was the harshest sound i had ever heard a human make. now i'm all grown up and think that all the complaining new yorkers do is part of their culture, it's called socializing.
Speaking of how New Yorkers sound, I've personally become enlightened to the fact that New Yorkers:

1) speak louder
2) speak faster
3) and speak closer to your face than any other American would.

Why is that?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times
Default Attn: Moderators

Quote:
Speaking of how New Yorkers sound, I've personally become enlightened to the fact that New Yorkers:

1) speak louder
2) speak faster

Why is that?
Moderators:

You recently started a Hurricane sub-forum so people can discuss hurricanes ad naseum. Clearly, a "New York Haters" subforum is long overdue. Why riddle the Florida forum with these baseless, nasty, mean-spirited threads? Please move them all to their own subforum. Thank you.

Riveree

Old 08-01-2007, 04:29 PM

607 posts, read 3,549,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Thank you for saving us.
don't thank me. I wrote "settled". That was long before me.

I came down here specifically to take my shoes off.

I just think it's idiotic to lump New Yorkers into one negatively characterized group, just as it is to lump all southerners into one group.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:35 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post

I just think it's idiotic to lump New Yorkers into one negatively characterized group, just as it is to lump all southerners into one group.

.........or one race, or one religion, etc.

Thank you Dennis, rep points for you .

Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:

1) speak louder
2) speak faster

Why is that?
I suppose you have some generalities for the Black race too, and for Hispanics, or gays............. you need to be careful about offending.

I'm offended by you and your not-well-thought-out ideas of a perfect society.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:42 PM

Thanks riveree, I just realized why SOME northerners complain

Old 08-01-2007, 04:43 PM

396 posts, read 396,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I suppose you have some generalities for the Black race too, and for Hispanics, or gays............. you need to be careful about offending.

I'm offended by you and your not-well-thought-out ideas of a perfect society.
Hi there Dennis S,

This is your quote from just 41 minute ago:
"If it weren't for Northeasterners settling in Florida the so-called natives would still be barefoot."

How would you compare it to the your statement above?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:45 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,508,186 times
Quote:

1) speak louder
2) speak faster

Why is that?

wow- how old are you. What a platitude. S and Central Florida has people from everywhere- Michigan, PA, Mass, Chicago, and snowbirds. You have a mass of people from everywhere searching for paradise. This is a recipe for disaster. I wouldnt blame it on NYers. Some of the rudest, ignorant people I met in the 9 years we were in Florida were from there (not natives though) Florida is a melting pot- take a trip to Coconut Grove if you dont believe it. Most hostility is from too many crowds- not people from NY. btw NY is a huge state- have you ever visited any other states yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: