Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:08 AM

607 posts, read 3,550,069 times

Advertisements

Fellas.................. no need to be ganging up on me.

I've been carrying a gun and using a gun since the late seventies.

Read. I never said I want to change the laws. Read.

I was asking if Macguy thought that the laws were too easy.

I also wouldn't shoot someone in front of my daughter.

I've been in many situations and seen many outcomes in my life involving guns and death.

I know how things play out, in the courts and in post traumatic thoughts.

Using a gun is a great responsibility. That is my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 10:27 AM

I just thought of something important.

If I saw a bomb-laden terorist heading toward a crowd anywhere in my country............. I'd pop him in a milisecond. No hesitation.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,091,328 times
It is definitely easier to get off on a self-defense claim in Florida. The "duty to retreat" doesn't even exist here under certain circumstances.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,159,741 times
Shooting someone in front of a child would be the last of my concerns. My child can thank me later for saving his/her life if that ever did happen (very unlikely). Since, that would be the only reason I would ever shoot anyone - i.e. immediate threat of death (or serious bodily harm) to me or my family.

Quote:
It is definitely easier to get off on a self-defense claim in Florida. The "duty to retreat" doesn't even exist here under certain circumstances.
That's correct. But, if you can safely retreat, why not retreat? When it comes to your life, the best defense is NOT a strong offense. It's a strong set of legs and some good running shoes. A gun should be nothing but a tool of last resort.

I am a huge supporter of the 2nd Amendment; the right of all lawful citizens to own whatever kind, and however many, firearms they want; the right to cary a weapon. I don't like restrictive gun laws on lawful citizens. I collect guns, shoot guns, and hunt with guns.

However, for now, I have chosen not to carry a gun on me (unless traveling long distances). Obviously, I have no problem with people who want to get a permit and carry a gun - these aren't the people who go around pulling guns on people in traffic, etc. At some point, if I think crime gets bad enough, I may start carrying a gun. I don't carry valuables or much more than $20 on me at any time, and feel quite comfortable not carrying a gun. Basically I'm lazy and just don't want to keep track of one more thing than I have to. Honestly, I have never been physically threatened in Orlando and just don't feel that I have any reason to carry one.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:09 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,818,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Actually, gun dealers are required to keep records of all guns purchsed through them. When they retire, I believe they need to turn their records over to BATF. BATF just cannot put that information in any data base. I forget the name of the form I have to fill out when purchasing a gun, but it's got most of your important information on it. Most people put their social security number on it as well, although it's not required.
Do you belive that BATF does not keep these records in a database? Come on now. Do you trust the Feds to follow the laws? I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
do you think that we should tighten that up a little bit?
ABSOLUTELLY NOT!! If you wnat to "tighten" anything up is increase penalties for armed robbers and burglars and such. Give them life, for all I care, but leave leagl gun owner alone. Most guns used in crimes are stole guns or illegal guns brought in through the world's largest hole: the US-Mexico border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That is a genie out of the bottle. No one is taking any of them away. They just loosened them up a little more a couple of years ago making it ok now for me to shoot you if I just feel threatened or put in fear.
That is BS and you know it. You can only shoot in self-defense and if you shoot someone who is unarmed or someone running away, you know you are going to jail.

The new law just repealed "duty to retreat" which is a pathetic law that has gotten several law-abiding citizens shot on the back while trying to run from a crackhead. Now you can defend yourself.

Self defense is a God-given right and FINALLY Florida understands it.

Quote:
shoot me? why?

Cops and prosecuters hate that new law.

Public defenders love it.

Personally I'd rather run for cover or drive away (unless I'm in my house) than shoot someone just so I can "stand my ground". What's the point? Too much blood. Too much paperwork and court time. I'd rather be at the beach than in a courtroom.

P.S. I am a CWP holder.
That is baloney that "cops hate the self defense law". The law was created so that you don't have to run. Let's say a crackhead has a gun and is gonna shot you. You trying to drive off won't work. You will be shot to death. You need to defend yourself. THAT is the reason why the alw was passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
No way! Why would I want the government to further limit the rights of law abiding citizens to defend themselves from violent criminals?

When was the last time a cop stopped a murder, rape, assault with a deadly weapon while it was in progress? The best they can do is sometimes catch the guy who perpetrated the crime so that the system can let him go again.
EXACTLY. Cops are "Reactive". They come AFTER you were raped, robbed or murdered. What good is it to the victim who is now traumatized (or dead) for the cops to come and fill a report??

Preach on, borther.

Prichard... are you from outside Mobile, AL? I remember being a town called Prichard outside Mobile.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your idea. Do you think it's better for a civilian with a gun to kill a rapist or murderer rather than having the cops catch him and bring him to jail?

I have no problem with holding them until the police arrive, even taunting them a little, but we all make mistakes in judgment once in a while, criminals and gun owners. I'd hate to be the one who shot the wrong guy.
No, jail is fine. No one wants to shoot someone. It is stressful, you have to live with it, and a major hassle after that. But it beats being killed by a crackhead and it sure beats being victimized by some dope smoker.

There are circumstances where you cannot just "hold the guy" until cops get there. If the guy smoked crack, he will be out of control, won't feel pain, will want to kill you. I worked in criminal law for a year, trust me on this one. Crackheads are completely out of control and extremely violent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Tough for an innocent person to be in your daughters room in the middle of the night. I would shoot the guy, end of story and I will live with it.
Exactly. What would you rather do? Have your child raped by some pedophile nutcase and then call the cops so they can fill out a police report or shoot the guy and defend your family?

Do people NOT want the laws to protect you and your family from the predator??

Old 08-02-2007, 02:19 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,818,862 times
Quote:
Fellas.................. no need to be ganging up on me.

I've been carrying a gun and using a gun since the late seventies.

Read. I never said I want to change the laws. Read.

I was asking if Macguy thought that the laws were too easy.

I also wouldn't shoot someone in front of my daughter.

I've been in many situations and seen many outcomes in my life involving guns and death.

I know how things play out, in the courts and in post traumatic thoughts.

Using a gun is a great responsibility. That is my point.
Quote:
I just thought of something important.

If I saw a bomb-laden terorist heading toward a crowd anywhere in my country............. I'd pop him in a milisecond. No hesitation.
Wait so you'd let your daughter get raped rather than shooting the pedophile infront of her?? I think the psychologist would find easier to work with a child who saw someone get shot than get raped by an adult crazie, do you not think so?? Rape of a child is devastating. A shot is a loud noise and a flash and that's it.

Using a gun IS a responsibility, no doubt. But if it either the crackhead or some poor bastrad whose wife the crackhead will turn into a widow, brother, the crackhead is going down.

That is why if you see danger, you try to get away, no doubt. No point in confronting criminals. But there ARE times where you cannot escape and the self-defense law was designed to protect the victim, NOT the crakhead.

If you want laws that put the criminal before you, move to a liberal state like Massachussetts or Connecticut. They will throw the book at you for shooting "the poor 'substance dependent fellah' who was only in your home because he needed food money" while you are protecting your children inside your home. The liberal states will happily charge anyone defending their children inside their home becaus ethey think criminals only exist because "society is unfair and they have no other choice".

But I think anyone with 1/2 a brain would see that laws that protect the citizen and not the criminal make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
There may no longer be a duty to retreat, but anyone with common sense will try to get away from trouble. I DOUBT anyone wants to shoot someone just because they think they can.

You guys are WAY too worried about the good guys shooting someone. You need to worry about the bad guys killing a decent person. That is what people need to worry about.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:36 PM

Where's the NIRVANA dude. If someone was raping my daughter I'd take him outside, kick his ass, urinate on him then shoot him in the balls. Then call the cops after he bleeds to death.

"A shot, a loud noise and that's it"? Have you ever cleaned blood and little pieces of the person you hate the most off of a frilly bed, off of pink walls, off of a cieling, off of a little girls face and body? I really doubt it.

I don't depend on my gun, I depend on my mental and physical strength and appearance. The gun is the last resort. I hope you understand this time. I think I made it real clear.

I'm on your side Nirvana but you've got to read the posts , all of them.

Last edited by dennis s; 08-02-2007 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 10:17 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,621,854 times
Default Not good!

I think the way the laws are now, if you step onto someones lawn they can shoot you. I see some nice dirt roads by the beach and around the state....wanted to drive down some to see where they lead! But am afraid they will lead me to someone waiting with a shotgun and shoot me! I think they can! SCARY!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 AM

that's why the law is bad. I f you walk up to a car to tell them that their baby seat is on the roof or their dress is hanging outside the door they'll shoot you, Especially if you look like me. (big and ugly)

Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,607,271 times
Quote:
that's why the law is bad. I f you walk up to a car to tell them that their baby seat is on the roof or their dress is hanging outside the door they'll shoot you, Especially if you look like me. (big and ugly)
Ahem, and you don't think that could happen, regardless of the law? We'd probably be surprised how many people carry a gun with them; we just don't know it. I've "packed", in my vehicle, and I can promise you, that I wouldn't shoot you simply because you walked up to me, (ugly or otherwise). I would certainly be watching you, for any suspicious moves on your part, (i.e. you pull out a gun, knife, etc., or try to open my door), but I'm not going to just whip out my pistol and start blazing away, because you're telling me my headlight is out! People are either responsible or they aren't, in their gun usage, and no law in the world will fix that!

I'm getting a little tired of hearing how people think we're turning into the OK Corral in Florida, because we now have the option of using deadly force, IF we have to do so, without legal repercussion, (which means that there must be viable cause to defend yourself. You can't shoot someone just for stepping on your lawn!). I don't particularly relish the idea of shooting anyone, but I like the fact that the law supports my right to stand my ground, whether in my home, or vehicle, or wherever, and protect myself, and my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: