Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,959 times

Advertisements

Saw some interesting houses for sale there. Don't know anything about the place and found it's even tough to find on the government census ( my kind of place I think )

How far is it from Pensacola? Anyone know about the "historic" district there?

Is real estate as dead there as it is in SW Fla? If so, you reckon 10-20% back of asking prices is realistic?

Major major big deal to us is who is the local cable company? We operate 24 X 7 on the net. Hence, no cable internet, no interest.

We've been interested in an area about an hour from where live now. BUT we visited Navarre last year and revisited it via the net today and it would "appear" that some of the same houses are still for sale and short sales are taking place. IF that area is due for an additional 10-20% decrease in prices, we would be interesed in revisiting it and maybe getting serious about it.

In the meantime though, we also saw these houses in "Defuniak Springs" that are very interesting. Now we start a new information gathering adventure

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 01:31 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Saw some interesting houses for sale there. Don't know anything about the place and found it's even tough to find on the government census ( my kind of place I think )

How far is it from Pensacola? Anyone know about the "historic" district there?

Is real estate as dead there as it is in SW Fla? If so, you reckon 10-20% back of asking prices is realistic?

Major major big deal to us is who is the local cable company? We operate 24 X 7 on the net. Hence, no cable internet, no interest.

We've been interested in an area about an hour from where live now. BUT we visited Navarre last year and revisited it via the net today and it would "appear" that some of the same houses are still for sale and short sales are taking place. IF that area is due for an additional 10-20% decrease in prices, we would be interesed in revisiting it and maybe getting serious about it.

In the meantime though, we also saw these houses in "Defuniak Springs" that are very interesting. Now we start a new information gathering adventure

Thank you!
I was just up there a few weeks ago and I like the whole area. I don't think it for every one though, kind of slow. We just had company from Nicevill this weekend and they love it up there. They have lived there 18 years now. The cable thing applies to me as well, most all of my business now is transacted on line.
I never attend trade shows or buy $2000 a month magazine ads anymore. I do business all over the world and never have to leave my home office. What an age we live it today. I am defiantly staying this side of the Florida state line. No desire to leave the state just a little better lifestyle and some air you can breath.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I was just up there a few weeks ago and I like the whole area. I don't think it for every one though, kind of slow. We just had company from Nicevill this weekend and they love it up there. They have lived there 18 years now. The cable thing applies to me as well, most all of my business now is transacted on line.
I never attend trade shows or buy $2000 a month magazine ads anymore. I do business all over the world and never have to leave my home office. What an age we live it today. I am defiantly staying this side of the Florida state line. No desire to leave the state just a little better lifestyle and some air you can breath.

We enjoyed the Navarre area and were ready to make an offer on a house there last january. But the realtor was quite negative when we asked her to do small things like get a few quotes from contractors for some renovations and double checking cable availability etc. Imagine that, a customer asking a realtor to do something other than walk with their hands behind their backs

We don't need to do anything. And my Wife will do whatever I want . She doesn't care one way or the other if we move. It's ME. I want a larger house with room for a tournament pool table, even if I have to build a dang 500 sq ft addition.

So we've been looking. Neither one of us wants to leave Fla. Go where? NC? LOL. No!

Methinks we're going to catch a flight up in a couple weeks and check it out again. I also want to visit Milton as there's a Chelation doc there ( and apparently in Destin ). So in between is the plan.

I just asked my Wife if we can go visit and she said Yes!

Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
We enjoyed the Navarre area and were ready to make an offer on a house there last january. But the realtor was quite negative when we asked her to do small things like get a few quotes from contractors for some renovations and double checking cable availability etc. Imagine that, a customer asking a realtor to do something other than walk with their hands behind their backs

We don't need to do anything. And my Wife will do whatever I want . She doesn't care one way or the other if we move. It's ME. I want a larger house with room for a tournament pool table, even if I have to build a dang 500 sq ft addition.

So we've been looking. Neither one of us wants to leave Fla. Go where? NC? LOL. No!

Methinks we're going to catch a flight up in a couple weeks and check it out again. I also want to visit Milton as there's a Chelation doc there ( and apparently in Destin ). So in between is the plan.

I just asked my Wife if we can go visit and she said Yes!
Room for my pool table is an important issue with me as well. I also need an out building for my studio, preferably sitting on several acres at least. I have an old Gold Crown II set up now and a few bar tables in storage as well as an antique Brunswick 9 ft T rail pocket table from the turn of the Century.

I used to own a couple of poolrooms and have been buying up some used equipment with thoughts of opening another room but haven't gotten around to it. By the way, one of the best players in the world John Schmidt the current US Open champoin lives in Milton. Although he will lose his title because the finals of this years tournament are tonight.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Room for my pool table is an important issue with me as well. I also need an out building for my studio, preferably sitting on several acres at least. I have an old Gold Crown II set up now and a few bar tables in storage as well as an antique Brunswick 9 ft T rail pocket table from the turn of the Century.

I used to own a couple of poolrooms and have been buying up some used equipment with thoughts of opening another room but haven't gotten around to it. By the way, one of the best players in the world John Schmidt the current US Open champoin lives in Milton. Although he will lose his title because the finals of this years tournament are tonight.
Cool! I was a bad kid growing up in the same neighborhood as hopkins, oganowski and the group in NJ.

I'm OLD and slow though. Play straight pool

Gotta have it. The boat in the backyard I can live without. The table I can't. We still may buy over here but it seems there's more variety of foods and other things up yonder than over in Sebring.

Any idea on how bad the insects are up there? We were there in the beginning of january and it was great. Had to wear sweatshirts and jeans it was so, er, cool. No idea what the summers are like except that it's a pretty good target for you know what.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Cool! I was a bad kid growing up in the same neighborhood as hopkins, oganowski and the group in NJ.

I'm OLD and slow though. Play straight pool

Gotta have it. The boat in the backyard I can live without. The table I can't. We still may buy over here but it seems there's more variety of foods and other things up yonder than over in Sebring.

Any idea on how bad the insects are up there? We were there in the beginning of january and it was great. Had to wear sweatshirts and jeans it was so, er, cool. No idea what the summers are like except that it's a pretty good target for you know what.
I played Hopkins a few times years ago. He beat me playing straight pool once playing me 110 to 60. This is at a time I was running a 100 plus every afternoon and would have thought no one on the planet could give me that. Very few games went over three innings he ran out so many times. I only won a few games and only because I got out the first or second inning.

My wife used to play Lori Jon now and then when she was playing in some of the ladies tournaments. She played pretty good at one time winning a lot of tournaments, more then I ever did. I won a few big tournaments in Europe but nothing to speak of in the US. Of course the Europeans didn't play all that well back then but are in my opinion, except for the Philippine players, the best players in the world.

It's funnt, my wife grew up in Metuchen and used to walk past Mizeraks pool room everyday but was never in there till she met me. She didn't even know who Mizerak was. We probably know some of the same people.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I played Hopkins a few times years ago. He beat me playing straight pool once playing me 110 to 60. This is at a time I was running a 100 plus every afternoon and would have thought no one on the planet could give me that. Very few games went over three innings he ran out so many times. I only won a few games and only because I got out the first or second inning.

My wife used to play Lori Jon now and then when she was playing in some of the ladies tournaments. She played pretty good at one time winning a lot of tournaments, more then I ever did. I won a few big tournaments in Europe but nothing to speak of in the US. Of course the Europeans didn't play all that well back then but are in my opinion, except for the Philippine players, the best players in the world.

It's funnt, my wife grew up in Metuchen and used to walk past Mizeraks pool room everyday but was never in there till she met me. She didn't even know who Mizerak was. We probably know some of the same people.
Is Lori Jones maiden name Oganowski? Hopkins and those guys played at High Cue in Elizabeth. I was beaten up in the parking lot of High Cue after doing the hussle which I used to do when I was a kid. Bad boy! I didn't play for money again till I moved to NYC more than 10 years later and even then it was behind the scene stuff, never the type that went on when I was a kid.

Far as the Philippines, I never played there but I DID play some pretty hot sticks in Vietnam. Never lost either. Seems like there's a table every 100 feet in that country. I WANTED to play in Japan but alas, never made it there.

Now you have me going on the dang thing. Wish I had the space now.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Lets get back to the topic....

Old 10-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Is Lori Jones maiden name Oganowski? Hopkins and those guys played at High Cue in Elizabeth. I was beaten up in the parking lot of High Cue after doing the hussle which I used to do when I was a kid. Bad boy! I didn't play for money again till I moved to NYC more than 10 years later and even then it was behind the scene stuff, never the type that went on when I was a kid.

Far as the Philippines, I never played there but I DID play some pretty hot sticks in Vietnam. Never lost either. Seems like there's a table every 100 feet in that country. I WANTED to play in Japan but alas, never made it there.

Now you have me going on the dang thing. Wish I had the space now.
Yea, before she married Sammy Jones. I played at the Hi Cue a few times I think a guy names Mike Ash owned the place. That place had champions wall to wall. I think we got off the subject so that about it for pool.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yea, before she married Sammy Jones. I played at the Hi Cue a few times I think a guy names Mike Ash owned the place. That place had champions wall to wall. I think we got off the subject so that about it for pool.

Sunric, yes sir! Just let me reply to this one.

Mark Ogonowski hussled me when I was 14. He grew up on the north side and I grew up on the south side. They had a beautiful National table and Lori was just a little girl. Her Father would show her how to shoot when she could barely see over the table. 3 piece slate that took several guys to bring it down their basement, got it all set up and when Mr Ogonowski came home he freaked out. They put the wrong base down!

Anyway, after getting beaten for 50 bucks by Mark ( I was I think 12? ), I got my Dad to buy me a table. Within a year I beat Marks butt down our basement

Thanks for the latitude Sunrico.

Now, can someone tell me how far Defunial Springs is from Navarre?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida