Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times

Advertisements

Do you own a rifle or a handgun?

Total Number of Licensees/Registrants: 582,172

State Requirements
Rifles and Shotguns

* Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No.

* Registration of rifles and shotguns? No.

* Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No.

* Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No

Handguns

* Permit to purchase handgun? No

* Registration of handguns? No.

* Licensing of owners of handguns? No.

* Permit to carry handguns? No, unless concealed.

Other Requirements

* Is there a State waiting period? Yes - 3 days for handguns

* Is there a FBI *NICS check for firearm transactions? Yes and a state check system.

* Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? Yes.

* Record of sale: No

*NICS - National Instant Check System
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
Actually, gun dealers are required to keep records of all guns purchsed through them. When they retire, I believe they need to turn their records over to BATF. BATF just cannot put that information in any data base. I forget the name of the form I have to fill out when purchasing a gun, but it's got most of your important information on it. Most people put their social security number on it as well, although it's not required.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:52 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,312 times
do you think that we should tighten that up a little bit?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
That is a genie out of the bottle. No one is taking any of them away. They just loosened them up a little more a couple of years ago making it ok now for me to shoot you if I just feel threatened or put in fear.

Last edited by macguy; 08-02-2007 at 06:47 AM..

Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 AM

14,966 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Register owners of ski masks in Florida... what else would they be used for?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
That is a genie out of the bottle. No one is taking any of them away. They just loosened them up a little more a couple of years ago making it ok for me to shoot you if I just feel threatened or put me in fear.
shoot me? why?

Cops and prosecuters hate that new law.

Public defenders love it.

Personally I'd rather run for cover or drive away (unless I'm in my house) than shoot someone just so I can "stand my ground". What's the point? Too much blood. Too much paperwork and court time. I'd rather be at the beach than in a courtroom.

P.S. I am a CWP holder.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:31 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
Quote:
No way! Why would I want the government to further limit the rights of law abiding citizens to defend themselves from violent criminals?

When was the last time a cop stopped a murder, rape, assault with a deadly weapon while it was in progress? The best they can do is sometimes catch the guy who perpetrated the crime so that the system can let him go again.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
No way! Why would I want the government to further limit the rights of law abiding citizens to defend themselves from violent criminals?

When was the last time a cop stopped a murder, rape, assault with a deadly weapon while it was in progress? The best they can do is sometimes catch the guy who perpetrated the crime so that the system can let him go again.
I'm not sure I understand your idea. Do you think it's better for a civilian with a gun to kill a rapist or murderer rather than having the cops catch him and bring him to jail?

I have no problem with holding them until the police arrive, even taunting them a little, but we all make mistakes in judgment once in a while, criminals and gun owners. I'd hate to be the one who shot the wrong guy.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,674 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your idea. Do you think it's better for a civilian with a gun to kill a rapist or murderer rather than having the cops catch him and bring him to jail?

I have no problem with holding them until the police arrive, even taunting them a little, but we all make mistakes in judgment once in a while, criminals and gun owners. I'd hate to be the one who shot the wrong guy.
The problem is that criminals will have a gun no matter what law there is against it.....and if people that follow a law against anyone owning a gun ....then the criminal is free to do what he wants with your life in his hands...because you would rather follow a law of no one being able to have a gun so when he robs you at gunpoint what are you going to do?.....pull out a butterfinger?........if a criminal knows that law abiding citizens cant carry a gun then he has less fear of doing bad things......and if he knows we cant defend ourselves legaly then we are really in trouble because not everyone will follow the rules so i think the new law about being able to kill someone if you feel threatened is a good thing because it is in the back of a criminals mind too...... that we are allowed to kill him if he attacks us and we wont go to jail....so it might prevent someone from even doing a crime in some cases which will save some peoples lives

Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,166 times
Quote:

Tough for an innocent person to be in your daughters room in the middle of the night. I would shoot the guy, end of story and I will live with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: