Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 AM

469 posts, read 1,328,351 times

Advertisements

Pros and Cons for both from those with experience. (BTW- we are a family of 5 with 3 kids under age 11)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:39 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
In my opinion, Universal would be more suited for older kids. They have a limited little kid section. I think it also depends on how adventerous your kids are as well. Universal has a lot of those virtual rides that bump and move like crazy. I get seasick when I have gone there. My kids did't like Universal when they were 7 and 10. Maybe it is just my kids. I did see many families with older kids. I have not been in 3 years. Maybe things have changed. My kids were so turned off, they don't care to ever return.

We have been to Disney so many times, that they are now sick of Disney. We usually went to Magic Kingdom. Each one of mine knew exactly which rides they wanted. We would spend half the day running from their desired rides, then head over to Epcot where they also knew which rides they wanted to go to. We were done by 8 pm.

Both are crazy busy. Waiting in lines are expected in both. I think you can pay for a shorter line at Universal, but I believe you can only use it once per day/per ride. Disney has the fast pass for their most popular rides. Disney pays close attention to the customers. If you have the "It's My Birthday" button, all day long, the Disney cast members are wishing that child a happy birthday. We once went into the ice cream parlor and they noticed my daughter had the birthday pin, they broke out into a happy birthday song that got all the customers singing along. She then was given a huge ice cream cone. She felt very special that day!

As you probably already know, Universal annual pass is much cheaper than Disney's. If you get Disney's cheaper pass, you cannot go at all during the summer, Thanksgiving week or Christmas week along with a few other blackout dates. I don't think Universal has backout dates, though I could be wrong.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM

469 posts, read 1,328,351 times
thank you! my kids are not into the virtual/scary stuff at all. Haunted mansion is about as scary as we can do with all 3. I do like having the option of exploring the 4 parks as opposed to 2. Thanks for your feedback. black-out dates dont bothe me because we won't be going during the dead of heat or holiday times

Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
I agree that Universal is more for the older kids. Disney (especially Magic Kingdom) is much better for younger kids. I love going there just to see my daughter's reaction. She is 6 and thinks that Disney is the most magical place in the world. I love to see her eyes light up and the excitement that lasts all day.

I couldn't imagine taking her to Universal. DH and I enjoy going there, but not with her. Not enough there to keep her entertained.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:01 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
WDW IS the most magical place in the world. It turns all that come in to it into little children, even for just the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I agree that Universal is more for the older kids. Disney (especially Magic Kingdom) is much better for younger kids. I love going there just to see my daughter's reaction. She is 6 and thinks that Disney is the most magical place in the world. I love to see her eyes light up and the excitement that lasts all day.

I couldn't imagine taking her to Universal. DH and I enjoy going there, but not with her. Not enough there to keep her entertained.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM

197 posts, read 752,187 times
With Disney, you have four theme parks to choose from, unlike Universal.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
WDW IS the most magical place in the world. It turns all that come in to it into little children, even for just the day.
You never forget that excitement when as a child you saw Mickey or your favorite princess for the first time.

I am a child every day so I don't need WDW for that, but it does make being a child even more fun. (Some days I think my 6 year old is more mature than me. lol)

Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
The first time? Jeeze, I get excited each time. No, really, WDW is great. I do like Universal Studios more however, but if I could do both on a trip to O-town I would.

Glad I don't have a 6 year old. I'd be playing with all the neat toys they have now days. I always find myself strolling down the toy aisle anywhere I go. Walgreens, CVS, WalMart, etc. I don't like Toys R Us though.
I collect toys from the 50's and 60's but I am sure a 6 year old today would be bored silly with Mr. Machine, Kelly's Car Wash, a Tom Thumb cash register and all my neat stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
You never forget that excitement when as a child you saw Mickey or your favorite princess for the first time.

I am a child every day so I don't need WDW for that, but it does make being a child even more fun. (Some days I think my 6 year old is more mature than me. lol)

Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Your family is exactly like mine. If you are going to buy a pass, but it for Disney. A majority of Universal's rides are going to require height requirements your kids can't go on.

Universal is a great ride park. WDW is a great theme park. With that said, WDW is going to cost a whole lot more.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,777 times
If you can do just week-days, check out how you can save over a $100.00 per pass:Florida Resident | Tickets & Passes | Walt Disney World Resort

Larry - Palm Beach Gardens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida