Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,518 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all, Im considering taking a position at the hospital in Palatka and would love any feedback on the town. I currently live in a small twn and love it. I really need information on what part of town to rent a place to live, be it a trailer or house. I am very nervous about the move, just need some re assurance from someone around there that knows the area...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM

37 posts, read 130,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyveee2000 View Post
Hi Y'all, Im considering taking a position at the hospital in Palatka and would love any feedback on the town. I currently live in a small twn and love it. I really need information on what part of town to rent a place to live, be it a trailer or house. I am very nervous about the move, just need some re assurance from someone around there that knows the area...thanks
Beware the Georgia Pacific pulp mill to the north of the airport...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaFla View Post
When's the last time you woke up in Palatka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1990 View Post
PALATKA

This little town is the antithesis of quaint. Wake up to the smell of sulfur from the local paper factory! See the majestic smokestacks peer through the morning haze.

Palatka, Florida, isn't one of the prettiest towns in Florida, nor is it an entertainment mecca. Very few jobs here, either.

But....

Since the late 1980s when Research-Cottrell installed the air pollution control devices at Georgia-Pacific, the only time the odor of the mill's pulp processing is detectable is when there is a "low ceiling" of clouds for more than 6-8 hours. This occurs so infrequently that when it does occur, my children [life-long residents] want to know what in the world that smell is.

Other sources of foul smells in the Palatka/Putnam County area have been cleaned or removed as well:
- Cabbage rotting in the fields of East Palatka and Hastings. Few farmers are growing cabbage anymore due to lack of demand.
- Rice Creek. I don't know why this waterway stunk so bad when I was growing up unless it was just run-off from the pulp mill. But it's clean and stink-free now.
- Adhesives and finishes used at Florida Furniture. [Gaack! I never noticed this odor until the mill quit stinking.] Florida Furniture went bankrupt a few years back and the site was bought by a condo developer. The developer got the historic site about half-way demolished before the economy tanked on him and he just quit. [This is an eyesore, Mr. Developer.]
- Slaughter ponds at Florida Packing & Provision. Florida Packing closed down about 10 years ago when it was determined that the cost of bringing the facility up to ISO standards was prohibitive.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:29 PM

191 posts, read 632,555 times
that area is very rural and dead. I wouldn't go there but if the job is good enough maybe go palm coast and travel some although i hated it there.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM

509 posts, read 1,679,751 times
Palm Coast is a hell of a commute to Palatka. I did it for a time. St. Augustine is nice and about 30 minutes from Palatka. Pickin's are slim when it comes to renting an apartment in Palatka. Its small and the economy is depressed. The best thing about it is the St. Johns River and Florida School of the Arts at St Johns College. It is convenient to the beaches and to Gainesville, also about 30 minutes away. Take the job and you can use it as a way to look around for where you really want to be.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,312 times
Lots of picturesque old homes in Palatka down by the river. Not sure of the crime rate and demographics though. Find a crime map on line or sometimes the real estate links like Trulia or Zillow have some info.

I lived there in the 60s and it is quite different now with lots of new development on the west side of town. I would rent and not buy to begin with until you know the area. Donno anything about renting in the area.

St Augustine is really nice with lots of artsy crafty shops, restaurants, bars etc in the historic district only 30 miles away from Palatka via a 4 lane highway. Could be possible to rent in SA and commute to Palatka

Real nice beaches in the St Augustine area too. My favorite resturant for seafood in SA is Osteens. Get there early to avoid a wait

Was there two weekends ago for the Gamble Rodgers Folk Festival and they had 6 different stages set up in historic venues walking distances from each other downtown. A cool sea breeze was blowing in so even the outdoor stage set up by the marina was comfortable. It went on day and night on Sat and Sunday. Lots of talented bands and artist and in such nice surroundings!

The downtown SA area was hopping with lots of tourists so the town obviously more than just small town USA

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:46 AM

12 posts, read 37,843 times
Default Try Florahome, Keystone Heights or Melrose

They are all beautiful little towns west of Palatka with only a 20 - 25 minute ride to Palatka on State Road 100.

Since you will be working in Palatka you will have all the stores available to you.

You will only be 30 minutes from Gainesville in these areas.

Good Luck to you in your new job.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyveee2000 View Post
Palatka and the surround area has a lot of nature and beauty. We have a house to rent/sell in Hollister (20 minutes west of Palatka) on 5 acres. We especially like the great bike trails, good hiking and wonderful canoe and kayak opportunities. They have good theatre shows at the college and some very active musicians.
There is little or no traffic and you are centrally located to Gainesville, the beach and JAX. We are not native to Florida and find it very pretty. We do not get any smell from GP where we live. It is a nice place to raise kids.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,214 times
Hi I love Palatka. I am from Va. and it gets cold here. Palatka the first time I arrived there reminded of Beverly Hills Cop and Eddie Murphey driving down the road looking at beautiful palm trees. They have lots of restraunts; shopping; close to 6 beaches, within an hours drive; fantastic weather ; friendly smiling faces everywhere. There is The St, Johns river; and a few miles away is Cressant Lake. I absolutely Love it there. I spend 16 weeks a year there.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,214 times
Oh I forgot to tell you about St.Augustine just a few minutes away; they have 2 spanish forts a castle and pirate ships as well as a beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida