Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM

32 posts, read 179,593 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest areas of Florida which are more rural/pretty/countryside-ish and away from any major built up areas? I'm looking for somewhere to rent for 2-3 months this Vermont winter, bringing my dogs and looking for a little warmth. I really don't mind where, as long as it's in the countryside or small town sort of area, and away...far away....from condos/disney/high-rises etc.

Once I have a few area suggestions I can go on VRBO to look for rentals.

THANKS SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
Hernando County may fit your needs. It is 45 miles north of Tampa and 90 miles due West of Orlando, so if you wanted to go to those places, its not too far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLou View Post
Hi there,

Can anyone suggest areas of Florida which are more rural/pretty/countryside-ish and away from any major built up areas? I'm looking for somewhere to rent for 2-3 months this Vermont winter, bringing my dogs and looking for a little warmth. I really don't mind where, as long as it's in the countryside or small town sort of area, and away...far away....from condos/disney/high-rises etc.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:56 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,726,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLou View Post
Hi there,

THANKS SO MUCH!
I have driven all over the state and Florida in most respects is not a pretty state; at least not in the way you are referring to. There are no beautiful rolling fields with streams and lovely trees. Mostly it is flat with scrub brush and pine trees, sandy soil half dried up lakes and so on. Except for maybe a few areas around Ocala that is very nice, Florida is not Vermont.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:52 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,261,001 times
You'll find some hills around Tallahassee in the Panhandle, Ocala, Clermont, and along the old Dixie Highway around Frostproof.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:35 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
Have you driven through Hernando County, just south-east of Brooksville between Spring Hill and Dade City? There are beautiful rolling fields with streams and lots of trees. Certainly not flat with scrub brush and pine trees, certainly not dried up lakes and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I have driven all over the state and Florida in most respects is not a pretty state; at least not in the way you are referring to. There are no beautiful rolling fields with streams and lovely trees. Mostly it is flat with scrub brush and pine trees, sandy soil half dried up lakes and so on. Except for maybe a few areas around Ocala that is very nice, Florida is not Vermont.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:10 AM

17,453 posts, read 38,833,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Not true. We lived in East Pasco (Dade City) and that whole area from San Antonio, through Dade City and the surrounding unincorporated areas like Blanton, Trilby and St. Joe have beautiful rolling emerald green fields, woods, lakes and some definitel HILLS! One of the most beautiful areas in peninsular Florida, as far as I'm concerned. But true, it's not Vermont but then does anyone expect or want it to be?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,490,700 times
Just like to point out that the original poster did not say they were looking for Vermont. Who would ever expect a state 1500 miles or more south to be anything like Vermont? They did not.

That being said, I was surprised driving around the area outside of Leesburg, Clairmont, Wildwood, Traveres, Ocala, etc,etc.....just a half a mile from a typical gated community you can find vast forests, lakes, plenty of acreage. I would have thought a place 30 minutes from Disney would be suburban sprawl. I am surprised at the wilderness still all around. And yes, the area around Clairmont is nice and hilly.....

Frank

Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,286,689 times
In general, any areas not along I95 or I4 will be fairly rural. The further north tends to be more rural. Try searching for communities in the Panhandle, North Florida and along US 27.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 AM

495 posts, read 2,320,602 times
North Marion County between Gainesville and Ocala sounds like what you are looking for.

Areas south of Micanopy and west of McIntosh are rolling hills with big oaks and tall palms.

Some photos here

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...2009-a-16.html

Takes a while to load.

Be advised that the last two winters have been colder than normal with lots of mornings in the upper 20s and some even in the low 20s. Although even the cold days usually are sunny with high temps in the mid 50s to 60. Cold rainy days where a jacket is needed in the afternoon are rare but they do happen.

This may not be Vermont Winter cold but it is not beach weather either.

Gainesville, just 20 miles north has a lot to offer in dining, entertainment, etc as it is the home of the University of Fla with aprox 50K students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida