U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 PM

36 posts, read 67,617 times

Advertisements

Just about to sign a lease in Audubon Oaks — Luxury Apartment Homes ....Great place to live, and a very nice area by the mall..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 PM

213 posts, read 592,442 times
Audubon Oaks, is alright , lived there for 2 years, has the same problems as every where else, walls are thin, front gate messed up all the time, parking is tight depending on which building you live in , and you either have to go thru best buy parking lot, or make a u turn to go a lot of places out on hwy 98.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM

213 posts, read 592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmn610 View Post
Thank you both! We are excited above the move and at the same time, overwhelmed by the idea of starting from scratch in an area we've never seen! But, lots of people do it, so I'm sure everything will be great! I appreciate your insights! It's a relief to know that Lakeland is a nice place to live and work! We spoke with a property manager who reccomended we try the "village at lake highland apartments" - we're headed to FL in June to check out the area for ourselves. Thanks again!
so have you made the trip down? and did you check out Village at lake highland ?? , its like a previous posted stated, very thin walls , you can hear your neighbors talking, going to the bathroom, having sex, sneezing etc. the are a little on the high side price wise also. and parking is definately a nightmare, if you come in after 6pm you normally have to park way down from your apartment. and be careful coming in and out, a lot of people don't think they have to go around the oneway round about like they should, and you come close to getting hit head on all the time.
33813 area of town, is probably the best area of lakeland to live. nice place to live and work ? depends on who you talk to , there is a lot of crime and definately areas of town, that you do not want to live in and do not want to visit after dark, so if you have made it down be careful.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 67,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmn610 View Post
I am being transferred from MI to Florida - my new office will be in Lakeland - my wife and I would appreciate any information we can get on the area. What is it like (urban? rural? big city? small town?) - we've been doing some research online, but know that insight from real people who live in/near the area can be invaluable! We have two young children and will be looking to rent for the first year or so. We've been advised to check out Lakeland Highlands and Willow Oak... but can't seem to find apartment listings for "lakeland highlands" is that a separate city or just an area of Lakeland? I'd like my drive to work to be 30 mins or less. We will be heading down to visit the area in a few weeks and would love any reccomendations/insights you would share! THANK YOU!
Lakeland Highlands is a census designation.. but it is considered Lakeland. There are no apartments there. The closest I know of are up Bartow Rd, Edgewood, Cleveland Heights, or Pipkin. Or down in Mulberry or Bartow.

My parents live, and I used to live at the other end of Clubhouse Rd in Highland City.

Edit: Oh, they just built Village at Lake Highland in the area.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:03 PM

53 posts, read 144,379 times
Lakeland is definitely a terrible place to live. I definitely would not recommend moving here with small children. There is a very high rate of sex predators here. There is a lot of drug use, ignorance, racism & intolerance here.

A good rule of thumb, whenever planning on moving somewhere you've never been (especially in the south), when you get there take a look in the walmart and people watch. There you will get a good gauge for your new neighbors.

There are also many very bad places in Lakeland. Like I said drugs is a big problem here. Also traffic on the main roads is very bad here.

Anyways, people who were raised here will sell you on how wonderful this place is, but keep an open mind. I'm sure there are people that talk bad about every city in America, but since I have lived in several places, and travel regularly, I can tell you with great accuracy, that this is not a great place to live - in my opinion.

There are nice places & nice people here, but the bad outweighs the good by quite a bit.
If you don't expect much out of life, and enjoy interacting with many people who would be called the scum of society in most other places, then perhaps you will enjoy it here. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,286 times
Default Moving to Lakekand area - Need Apt help/info

Hi, I am a 23 and moving from NYS to Lakeland. I start my new job in August and need to find an apartment really quick. I have read the posts about the southside of Lakeland as being the best and someone mentioned zip code of 33813. I have also checked the Carlton Arms both in North and South Lakeland, and was wondering if anyone had comments on them. The village of Lake highland is a bit over what my price range is, I am hopefully looking for something between $550-$650. The Carlton Arms is $561. I am looking for a decent neighborhood. Can someone else tell me what zip codes are the best areas to live in? THANKS

Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 6,559,542 times
Really hard to read some of these posts. Such hatred.

My daughter and children live in the Deerbrook developemnt and they are very happy. Scott Lake Elementary is highly rated and is thinking of going Charter. George jenkins high school has a good reputation. Lakeland is what you will make it to be, no better or no worse than any other area. It is growing and there are bad areas, just like any other place. Come down and look for yourself. And, I have been to the Walmart in S. Lakeland and I didn't think it was bad. I am definitely conscious of bad elements when I am out and about.

Lakeland sure got screwed over with the recent revival of the CSX deal. Winter Haven stuck it to them, along with J.D. Alexander and Gov. SCott. But that is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida