Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Not true. I don't live anywhere near the water and I pay $2500 because of all the sink hole activity around here. It also depends on how old the house is, how well it can withstand wind, how it was built, etc. I know someone that pays more than me for a smaller house that is worth less, not near the water- because the house is old, did poorly on a wind mitigation test, etc. You really have to live in a house that is away from the water and away from areas with sink hole activity, with good wind mitigation ratings and construction to pay under 1%. And even then your deductible will likely be very high.
All things that are easy to avoid. You'd be paying less for a house anyway that has those issues. My response was to the person thinking about moving to Florida. It's not hard to avoid high insurance in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 03:20 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
All things that are easy to avoid. You'd be paying less for a house anyway that has those issues. My response was to the person thinking about moving to Florida. It's not hard to avoid high insurance in FL.
I don't think houses in my area cost less than houses in lower sink hole activity area, so not true either. My house is well built, newer, and has great wind mitigation ratings, all of which help a lot. With all the sink hole activity everywhere I disagree- it is hard to avoid high insurance in FL. If you're away from the water you are plagued by the sink holes.

And by the way I am not talking about the cheap people that refuse to carry sink hole insurance even when they should. I know someone like that whose house currently has several large cracks and because they have no sink hole insurance they are stuck living with the house like that until it becomes a bigger problem, at which point they will abandon it.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
The average cost of home owners insurance is about $1,300 a year, based on statewide average.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The average cost of home owners insurance is about $1,300 a year, based on statewide average.
I found several sources saying the average was in the high $1300s in 2008, and they also state that premiums in FL have significantly increased since then.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:56 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
I don't think houses in my area cost less than houses in lower sink hole activity area, so not true either. My house is well built, newer, and has great wind mitigation ratings, all of which help a lot. With all the sink hole activity everywhere I disagree- it is hard to avoid high insurance in FL. If you're away from the water you are plagued by the sink holes.

And by the way I am not talking about the cheap people that refuse to carry sink hole insurance even when they should. I know someone like that whose house currently has several large cracks and because they have no sink hole insurance they are stuck living with the house like that until it becomes a bigger problem, at which point they will abandon it.
Plenty of cities in the middle of the state by way less than 1%.

My response was to someone who hasn't moved yet. It's very easy to avoid areas with hurricane and sinkhole problems when searching for a home today.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:56 PM

I posted it once, I don't "keep saying" it.

By the way, I never post anything I can't back up.

How do your home insurance rates compare with others? | Insure.com

Sinkholes can (and do) happen anywhere in FL and quite a few other states. In FL, it's where most of the lakes came from, or went. Western FL from Tampa up to above the Georgia Border is more prone that most areas in FL.

This site will tell you all you want to know about sinkholes:

Sinkholes, from USGS Water Science for Schools

Most sinkhole claims are bogus, thus the higher costs for sinkhole insurance in the most prone areas. Most of the "sinkhole" claims are no more than settling of the ground that the slab lies on. During construction, if the site is not properly prepared the ground is loose from the pre-construction work done on and near the site. Once the slab settles, and it does not usually do so evenly, the structure it sits on is going to show stress cracks.

I've spoken to more than one geologist who have told me that leaking swimming pools cause many sink holes. The water leaking into the ground eats away the limestone assisted by the chemicals in the water, so that may be a good reason not to have an in ground swimming pool in sinkhole prone areas.

Here is a little film that will show you a real sinkhole.

YouTube - ‪Winter Park Florida Sinkhole (1981 / 2008)‬‏

Quote:
You keep saying that but please provide a source. Last time I did a search for that the number was much higher.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:04 PM

374 posts, read 945,142 times
I did go to the website, and this is a quote directly from there:

Florida premiums are underestimated because data did not include rates from Citizens Property Insurance, Florida's insurer of last resort, which has the highest rates in the state. Also, the average includes Florida policies that include windstorm coverage and those that don't, so the average cost of a comprehensive Florida home insurance policy will be higher than the number shown.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:12 PM

It depends on location. Minutes ago I got off the phone with a friend who lives in Longwood, Seminole County. Windstorm, sinkhole, the whole thing, $1426 a year. I have a smaller, older home in Spring Hill and its over $2,000.00 a year. If I dropped the sinkhole option it would be about $1,200.00 I do have storm mitigation discounts. The roof is up to code as of 1992. Hurricane clips all over the attic. I also have hurricane resistant windows that meet the Miami/Dade codes for hurricane protection. The garage door is reinforced, all the doors to the outside meet the Miami/Dade code as well. Without those modifications my insurance would be $700 a year more. So, it depends what you are insuring and where it sits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I did go to the website, and this is a quote directly from there:

Florida premiums are underestimated because data did not include rates from Citizens Property Insurance, Florida's insurer of last resort, which has the highest rates in the state. Also, the average includes Florida policies that include windstorm coverage and those that don't, so the average cost of a comprehensive Florida home insurance policy will be higher than the number shown.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:12 PM

The article is based on 2008 data so not necessarily true any more. And you've mentioned the $1300 more than once.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Great. You win.

Quote:
The article is based on 2008 data so not necessarily true any more. And you've mentioned the $1300 more than once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida