Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I have been hearing of people who have bought outright not insuring condominiums they have purchased due to the high costs.
my HOA from my condo requires that all residents have coverage (replacement) w/ proof of insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
I recently posted the following homeowners info in the Tampa Forum but here it is again for your convenience:

I switched from State Farm to Castle Key (Allstate) in November 2010. I have $200K on the building and $80K contents. Deductibles are 2% for hurricane and $1000 other perils. My annual premium is $1492. The premium includes comprehensive sinkhole ($150). The house is block, has under 2000sf, was built in 1983, and the roof was replaced in 2002. I also added an optional flood policy in January of this year for $343. We're not in a flood zone, but our house backs up to lowlands. It's not great, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Fortunately, a mortgage company isn't dictating coverage and requiring escrows.

In addition, we are on levelized billing with Tampa Electric. Our monthly bill is $125. There's only two of us and we have no pool so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Both our vechicles are paid for and nothing special (Honda Odyssey and Toyota Tacoma). Each premium runs around $1100 per year and has been on the rise for the past two years... I suppose as a result of the rampant in Florida PIP Claims.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I recently posted the following homeowners info in the Tampa Forum but here it is again for your convenience:

I switched from State Farm to Castle Key (Allstate) in November 2010. I have $200K on the building and $80K contents. Deductibles are 2% for hurricane and $1000 other perils. My annual premium is $1492. The premium includes comprehensive sinkhole ($150). The house is block, has under 2000sf, was built in 1983, and the roof was replaced in 2002. I also added an optional flood policy in January of this year for $343. We're not in a flood zone, but our house backs up to lowlands. It's not great, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Fortunately, a mortgage company isn't dictating coverage and requiring escrows.

In addition, we are on levelized billing with Tampa Electric. Our monthly bill is $125. There's only two of us and we have no pool so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Both our vechicles are paid for and nothing special (Honda Odyssey and Toyota Tacoma). Each premium runs around $1100 per year and has been on the rise for the past two years... I suppose as a result of the rampant in Florida PIP Claims.
You must have some low deductibles on the cars as that is pretty high.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You must have some low deductibles on the cars as that is pretty high.
The deductibles are $250 comprehensive and $500 collision. I was told by the insurer the higher premiums are because both vehicles have been in a collision within the past 2 years PLUS we're in a high claim area. Both vehicles were rear-ended and neither were at fault but because there was a repair claim, apparently grandma and grandpa are now a higher risk.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,519,428 times
Quote:
The deductibles are $250 comprehensive and $500 collision. I was told by the insurer the higher premiums are because both vehicles have been in a collision within the past 2 years PLUS we're in a high claim area. Both vehicles were rear-ended and neither were at fault but because there was a repair claim, apparently grandma and grandpa are now a higher risk.
This has some good tips.

How to cut your car insurance costs - Money - TODAY.com

Quote:
Choose your coverage carefully
It's obvious, but worth repeating: The more coverage you elect and the lower deductible you set, the more you'll pay.

"Don't go for every bell and whistle," says Lachnit. "If you're willing to pay a little higher deductible, you can wind up saving big on your rates. Going from a $250 to $1000 deductible could save you 25% to 40% on your policy."

Set aside a portion of what you save to cover that higher deductible cost in case you ever do have a claim, and you should come out ahead.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,842 times
Quote:
You need a new insurance company. I've had 3 not at fault accidents where my insurance company didn't pay any money in the past 8 years and my insurance premium was never raised for any of them.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:22 PM

749 posts, read 1,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm sure somewhere in the giant box of flotsam and jetsam in the garage we've got the receipt for the $70/year in 'wheel tax' the city of Martin, TN used to extort from us every year when we lived up there. The spousal unit tends to keep stuff like that for some strange reason. IIRC, car insurance was pretty much the same here and there.

Y'all can keep Tennessee; gave it an honest try, discovered we utterly loathed it, and were out of there with the first job offer that looked like it would be more than a lateral movement of suck.

beachmouse; I laughed out loud reading your post! My husband and I feel the same way. We've been in TN for 3 1/2 years. We also gave it a try and it's to the point we too utterly loath it here. We are outta here as soon as the first opening my husband gets in another state. I was born and raised in Florida. Merritt Island. Moved to TN from California. Everything went up on us here in TN except car registration and gas. But we spend more on gas here as you have to drive so many more miles just to do your typical errands. So actually we paid less for gas in our cars when we were in Ca. Health Ins, Car Ins (both with less coverage now also). Utilities, food etc. Utilities do look cheaper on paper here, but when you figure you have to use the Central Heat/Air 99% of the time; you pay more here in TN than you do else where. Or at least what we have witnessed and lived through.
We are considering Fla if we have a chance. That's how I stumbled on your post. Thank you again for such a great post. Many of us feel as you do.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Hang in there, and know that you're plotting an exit strategy. Not every place is going to be right for every person or family. What bugs me is when someone tries to claim there's some sort of moral deficiency or something you did wrong, and that why you don't feel like a place is home. End of the day, not every place is right for every person, and there should be no sort of moral judgement attached to saying you want out of a place that's a bad fit.

Best of luck in finding a place that's a better mesh with you and your family's wants and needs.

As for utilities, our high bills actually had less to do with cost per kilowatt hour (which wasn't bad by national standards) but more to do with poor construction standards- no one made contractors build energy efficient homes, original buyers of the housing stock in town didn't ask for more insulation, so it was a case of build cheaply and let the buyers pay for that cheapness many times over with high utility bills.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Everything went up on us here in TN except car registration and gas. But we spend more on gas here as you have to drive so many more miles just to do your typical errands. So actually we paid less for gas in our cars when we were in Ca. Health Ins, Car Ins (both with less coverage now also). Utilities, food etc. Utilities do look cheaper on paper here, but when you figure you have to use the Central Heat/Air 99% of the time; you pay more here in TN than you do else where. Or at least what we have witnessed and lived through.
Sounds like you didn't pick the right area, either. We live in Knoxville and don't really have to travel anywhere to get errands done. Utilities are crazy cheap. End of story. Leave the windows open for about 3 months a year, at least, too. Food is definitely cheaper than FL. Car insurance half of what we paid in FL.

I guess you have to carefully pick where you move to. Tennessee, is not a small state, and there are a few distinctive weather patterns. That is why the state is split up into what they call the three grand divisions. Personally, I'd only want to live in the Eastern one, and then probably only in Knoxville. Sure that may not say much about the rest of the state but I don't care. I have found my paradise and I'm not giving it up!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Well said Beachmouse.

Hey maybe that is a good idea for a tv show. Going all over US and seeing what costs are really like, environment etc... anybody done this? Maybe house swapping or maybe some other reality show w/ all the "drama"... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida