Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM

67 posts, read 342,041 times

Advertisements

Thanks for reading. I was wondering where there were some nice small towns in Florida. Places that are small, have some nice, open land, safe, pet friendly, and some nice little shops. Preferably within an hour drive of Tampa or Miami to West Palm Beach. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Might be helpful

10 great places to discover the 'hidden' Florida - USATODAY.com

Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahok View Post
Thanks for reading. I was wondering where there were some nice small towns in Florida. Places that are small, have some nice, open land, safe, pet friendly, and some nice little shops. Preferably within an hour drive of Tampa or Miami to West Palm Beach. Thanks in advance.
Florida is a HUGE geographic state, with numerous small town options you're craving -- you just have to pick yours!

Based on your post, I would plan a few exploration trips to Florida:
  1. Fly into Miami and take US27 north to Ft White (and explore surrounding towns). Don't make any reservations. Stop where you like and get a book on Bed & Breakfasts and State Parks. Return from Gainesville airport.
  2. Fly into Orlando and take US17 south (after US27) to Punta Gorda. Explore the towns and coast along US41 south to Bonita Springs. Return from Ft Myers airport.
  3. Fly into Tampa and take US19 north up the Gulf Coast to Tallahassee, exploring surrounding towns. Bring your B&B book and State Parks guide. Maybe plan to camp/rent a cabin in a Park this trip. Eat oysters in "R" months. Return from Tallahassee airport.
  4. Fly into JAX and take US17 south along the St John's River to Sanford. Take boat rides, rent boats. Get on SR417 (Greenway) to CR15 to US441. Continue on 441 to Lake Okeechobee down the east side and straight across to West Palm Beach. Eat frog legs! Return from WPB airport.
Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 01:31 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahok View Post
Check out Mount Dora.
What To Do In Mount Dora, FL - The Official Online Visitor's Center

Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
Check out Sarasota or North Port.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:20 PM

69 posts, read 177,670 times
I love Okeechobee but a lot of people will tell you it sucks.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Healey View Post
I love Okeechobee but a lot of people will tell you it sucks.
I've been thinking about moving to Okeechobee or Arcadia. I love hot weather and a rural feel. I grew up in a small town and I like to visit big cities, but I love living in a small town. The only problem is I'm a teacher and finding a job in those areas might be a little hard to get right now. Oh well, I can dream about it for now...

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM

154 posts, read 388,521 times
I love High Springs

Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM

69 posts, read 177,670 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about moving to Okeechobee or Arcadia. I love hot weather and a rural feel. I grew up in a small town and I like to visit big cities, but I love living in a small town. The only problem is I'm a teacher and finding a job in those areas might be a little hard to get right now. Oh well, I can dream about it for now...
Both are small rural towns but Okeechobee is much better than Arcadia. Being on Lake Okeechobee is a huge plus, the sugar cane fields to the south are beautiful, and you are not too far from West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, ect.

-Pat Healey

Old 08-23-2011, 02:29 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Healey View Post
Both are small rural towns but Okeechobee is much better than Arcadia. Being on Lake Okeechobee is a huge plus, the sugar cane fields to the south are beautiful, and you are not too far from West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, ect.

-Pat Healey
That's what I was thinking. From looking on google maps, Okeechobee seems like a cleaner town. I also like how it has some buffer off the coast if a hurricane comes through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida