Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times

Advertisements

Some are now in use. I think as it continues they have some realistic feed back rather then just speculation. It has to be tried on a small scale so they can know how to actually implement it, I.E. what age groups to start with do you want them in kindergarten to start or high school.

Nooks at RMS | Chipley Bugle (http://chipleybugle.com/news/2011/06/03/nooks-at-rms/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 04:16 PM

374 posts, read 945,684 times
The cost to schools for digital textbooks

Still proud that my alma mater was first

Old 06-05-2011, 01:56 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
The cost to schools for digital textbooks

Still proud that my alma mater was first
This might work in a high school, but what about elementary school? Small children are destructive by nature. The schools will have to replace these things every year, or even in the middle of the year, because the 8 year olds will break them. Even middle school children can be destructive.

What about the kids that lose them? The parents that decide to steal them? And like all technology, these things will not last forever. Most school districts keep textbooks for 5-7 years (sometimes even longer). Will these new devices last that long without becoming obsolete or malfunctioning?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
This might work in a high school, but what about elementary school? Small children are destructive by nature. The schools will have to replace these things every year, or even in the middle of the year, because the 8 year olds will break them. Even middle school children can be destructive.

What about the kids that lose them? The parents that decide to steal them? And like all technology, these things will not last forever. Most school districts keep textbooks for 5-7 years (sometimes even longer). Will these new devices last that long without becoming obsolete or malfunctioning?
8 year olds don't tote 10 text books on various subjects. Some even have their own cell phones and have an understanding of technology better then most adults since they have knows nothing else. They won't smash the e-pads any more the they will smash the windows in the school. Childern are smarter them many adults want to give the credit for. By the way, did you read any of this thread? You honestly think the parents are going to steal them? The technology we are talking about in the next few years will cost probably no more then one book today yet be able to store a thousand books. I hope you don't think the cost of a school book will come down in the next few years, they will cost even more then today. With today's retail cost about $114.00 and wholesale about $60.00 in a few years the cost to a school for an e-tablet will be under $20.00. By the way, I paid $1900. for my first VCR and a case of 10 blank tapes were $100.00, The first movie I bought was the Hustler for $109.00,
I am sure back then someone was saying, "VCR's will never sell who is buying that thing for the price of a used car". In less the three years I bought my second VCR for about $300.00. The last one was at a garage sale or $1.00 and it did more then my original $1900.00 machine. That is the nature of technology.

Last edited by mango23; 06-05-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
8 year olds don't tote 10 text books on various subjects. Some even have their own cell phones and have an understanding of technology better then most adults since they have knows nothing else. They won't smash the e-pads any more the they will smash the windows in the school. Childern are smarter them many adults want to give the credit for. By the way, did you read any of this thread? You honestly think the parents are going to steal them? The technology we are talking about in the next few years will cost probably no more then one book today yet be able to store a thousand books. I hope you don't think the cost of a school book will come down in the next few years, they will cost even more then today. With today's retail cost about $114.00 and wholesale about $60.00 in a few years the cost to a school for an e-tablet will be under $20.00. By the way, I paid $1900. for my first VCR and a case of 10 blank tapes were $100.00, The first movie I bought was the Hustler for $109.00,
I am sure back then someone was saying, "VCR's will never sell who is buying that thing for the price of a used car". In less the three years I bought my second VCR for about $300.00. The last one was at a garage sale or $1.00 and it did more then my original $1900.00 machine. That is the nature of technology.
Schools still have to pay for the books. Publishers have made it clear that the cost of the book is in the development, not the printing. Many electronic textbooks sell for just $20-30 less than the printed version.

Just because children know how to use technology doesn't mean they aren't destructive either. Currently many schools do not buy textbooks for each student, but these devices will force them to.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Even if kids aren't purposefully destructive, they aren't careful. The ebooks will get sat upon, stepped on, left on the bedroom floor, and lost. I say this as the mother of 6 kids of varying ages. That's just how it goes.

I thought I understood that the textbooks would cost the same and the technology would be over and above that.

Last edited by Maggi07; 06-05-2011 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-05-2011, 06:50 PM

374 posts, read 945,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Even if they aren't purposefully destructive, they aren't careful. They will get sat upon, stepped on, left on the bedroom floor, and lost. I say this as the mother of 6 kids of varying ages. That's just how it goes.

I thought I understood that the textbooks would cost the same and the technology would be over and above that.
Perhaps we could just teach our children to be careful and respectful of school property...like we were with books. Accidents will always happen, to textbooks, other stuff, and now to Kindles. But, as I recall, when a student lost or defaced a textbook they (or the parents) were required to pay for it - at least that's how it was when I was in school and I hope it's still the same now. If a child has been taught the responsibility to care for a textbook, the child can have the same responsibility to take care of one of these.

How many books does it take for a parent replace before deciding to teach a child to "be careful"? I think it's the same with the Kindle. Also, students also can purchase insurance for these electronic books. Not sure if it's mandatory or optional, but it's available.

There are many, many books that are available for free (some are classics that were required or suggested reading for Literature when I was in school) to download and many more that are extremely low cost. However, students are not allowed to arbitrarily download whatever they want on the school issued Kindles. Of course there will still be the cost associated with writing new "textbooks" to download in future years. But the total cost is undoubtedly going to be less than the additional costs to print and distribute books. Just look at what's happening to newspapers - and it appears it could be more environmentally friendly than paper books. And, it won't be long before the paper-printed newspapers will be gone and subscriptions vailable aonly online. It's already happening - like it or not. And I REALLY like a good ol' thick Sunday newspaper But when I want quick up-to-date news, I go to the computer or reach for my smart phone...

Was it foolish to purchase electric typewriters to teach typing? What about using calculators in school? Was it silly to purcase projectors and audio visual materials? What about computers in school? Another silly, progressive idea that was a waste of taxpayers money? How many reading and posting here are old enough to remember when the technology to do these things was unimaginable and unthinkable? And how many of the "old folks" are still out there refusing to use a "newfangled" computer...missing out on worlds of information with their resistance to accept technology? Probably shouldn't even mention cell phones...

I think this is coming - like it or not. Some will be pulled into this kicking and screaming - holding on to the past while the future zips on by. Just gotta get on track with what technology has to offer and the younger generations are probably more aware of how to use and care for this stuff than we are...

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Even if kids aren't purposefully destructive, they aren't careful. The ebooks will get sat upon, stepped on, left on the bedroom floor, and lost. I say this as the mother of 6 kids of varying ages. That's just how it goes.

Not a good enough reason to stay with 19 century technology, (the book as we know it). As problems develop they will be solved.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Not a good enough reason to stay with 19 century technology, (the book as we know it). As problems develop they will be solved.
Yes, but not right now. Not if we have to pay for the technology on top of the textbooks. The schools are not in a financial position for this. At least give them a couple years to figure out how the budget will look and then reconsider.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, but not right now. Not if we have to pay for the technology on top of the textbooks. The schools are not in a financial position for this. At least give them a couple years to figure out how the budget will look and then reconsider.
It is a 5 year plan, this will not take place over night. If you read what they are planning it is not a hair-brained plan. Here is an example

Nooks at RMS | Chipley Bugle (http://chipleybugle.com/news/2011/06/03/nooks-at-rms/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida