U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM

7 posts, read 60,824 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any +55 communities that allow 1 large dog and 1 small dog. I am getting ready to retire to Florida and I am looking for a +55 Mobile Home Community with lots of social activities, gated, a little yard would be good. Not too quiet (I'm not dead yet). Nice amenities would be a pool. Not sure if I am looking for an owner owed park yet or not. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,892,525 times
I think most of them are pet friendly, but you should be more concerned about the lot rents. There seems to be no limit or governing agency which prohibits the owners from raising the rent arbitrarily. $700 a month is not uncommon in the "nicer, gated" communities. I know retirees who have walked away from their homes after their lot rent increased to the point they couldn't afford it.

A friend of mine would dearly love to get out, but she knows if she sells, the new owners rent will be $740 for a 50 x 50 lot on a canal (which is really a murky ditch you can barely get a rowboat through.) This includes water & garbage, nothing else, not even lawn care. Fencing for your dogs isn't allowed.

Another friend bought in a 55+, gated community, hated it and took a financial beating to get out.

Coincidentally, both of the communities referred to above are owned by Equity LifeStyle Properties | Manufactured Home Communities, Rental Homes, Retirement Communities, RV Campgrounds, so I don't know if that's typical.

Just do your research and read the fine print!!! Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:34 AM

6,853 posts, read 21,008,486 times
The Villages in Central Florida have what you are looking for. I would highly suggest not living in a mobile home just for the fact we do get hurricanes and tornadoes (all be it small) and you really want to have your valuables in a safer structure. If you can't afford a single family home, at least try looking into a concrete block townhouse or condo.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,912 times
we are just starting to look at retirement communities that allow dogs, we have two as I am involved in pet therapy wit certified therpay dogs for hospitals, libraries, etc. We hope to visit florida in march and move in early 2014. I am concerned about lot rents going up so high but yet would prefer to be able to afford the lower priced homes. any suggestions? the villages are out of our finanical abilities. j
l

Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 AM

3,809 posts, read 7,072,540 times
A lot of 55 + on the east coast you buy the lot and the mobile home together. if I were going to live in a 55+ community, I would choose Spanish Lakes Fairway down on the Indian River County/St Lucie County line just South of Vero Beach. It is a golf course community right off I-95. There are 3 or 4 pools(one where kids allowed rest without kids) there's a community center/playhouse type area. The beginning of the park has mobile homes, but in the late 1990s they started building affordable block homes on the doublewide lots. Have friend that lives there and they love it. She did not play golf up north but loves it now. Very friendly community but don't know the dog rulings.

huna

Here's a link to show you some houses there

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-04-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 PM

10,599 posts, read 16,092,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy swinson View Post
we are just starting to look at retirement communities that allow dogs, we have two as I am involved in pet therapy wit certified therpay dogs for hospitals, libraries, etc. We hope to visit florida in march and move in early 2014. I am concerned about lot rents going up so high but yet would prefer to be able to afford the lower priced homes. any suggestions? the villages are out of our finanical abilities. j
l
You can get very nice condos here in Vero Beach in very well established active communities much less than some of these mobile home parks like Spanish Lakes with a much LOWER HOA fee. The problem is going to be the two dogs. If the dogs are larger size that's a double problem. But you can always rent for awhile until you get your bearings. We have a very nice 55+ rental complex here that's affordable. And many condos you can actually rent in the community before deciding to buy, even seasonally. Or a month or two.

I live around Vista Royale in Vero (not in it) and my HOA is only $340 versus almost 600 for a mobile home lot fee - includes trash, water, sewer, cable, and common grounds obviously. So you pay electric, taxes and insurance and internet if you want it in your unit but they have it at the clubhouse. Our community pays a full time property manager and the head of the HOA has an office and the place runs perfectly. We have good reserves so we don't expect any assessments, another concern in condos in Florida. So make sure about that. After our hurricane drama years ago chances are that condos you look at have been updated especially with Miami Dade standard roofing. Mine is completely new from inside the walls out...because of that.

Vista Royale Condos for Sale - Vero Beach //Page 5

We also have a few mobile home neighborhoods, a few are really nice. This mobile home neighborhood has a million dollar view but it's on the INTRACOASTAL so weather scare. But you cannot beat the view because there's an inlet to the houses and you see manatees in there all the time coming right up to your dock. I don't know about policies etc. There's also another nice one on Hutchinson Island and one north of Sebastian a short distance I forget the names. The H.I. one has Canadians visiting all year because it's oceanfront. They're not all cheap, though!

http://www.fairlaneharborhomes.com/

Vero Beach is a great small city more like a hamlet feel and you should definitely put it on your list. PLUS we have lots of medical and assisted living for your dogs! AND companies for CNAs to work for...if you happen to be one. Lots of work for CNAs. And probably some companion work too, but I'd go to the CNA course (it's short) if I were going to look to be a companion. Yes, I know you said you're retiring LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-28-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 AM

22,135 posts, read 22,996,436 times
Is the OP still around?
It stinks to write helpful replies to first time posters only to have them never return.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 AM

502 posts, read 1,060,596 times
I liked the great info on Vero Beach. Thanks Scissors

Old 09-04-2013, 07:07 PM

10,599 posts, read 16,092,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I liked the great info on Vero Beach. Thanks Scissors
You're welcome! And thanks. I love house hunting Some of those Vista Royale condos are a real deal. When I looked at that link it had some foreclosures for 25K. And they have golf there LOL.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM

502 posts, read 1,060,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You're welcome! And thanks. I love house hunting Some of those Vista Royale condos are a real deal. When I looked at that link it had some foreclosures for 25K. And they have golf there LOL.
When I tried to look at the condo's they want me to sign up with them just to take a look. I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida