Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

I wonder why this is not a Law in Florida yet...why is this taking so long.

Everyday I witness jerks who txt and rive and drive like they are drunk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Probably because the cops themselves would be too busy texting and driving to enforce the law! (Yes I've seen this happen several times)

Old 05-27-2011, 01:14 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Who knows. I'm pretty sure the state passed a law preventing cities and counties from having texting bans.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I wonder why this is not a Law in Florida yet...why is this taking so long.

Everyday I witness jerks who txt and rive and drive like they are drunk...
Florida will never pass any law that would deter tourism. Imagine if a bunch of tourists went home with a $300 texting while driving fine ... chances are they would not come back too soon.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 PM

46 posts, read 107,724 times
There are many more things you can do with your phone besides texting while driving. You could be searching for a location to eat or shop or you could also be GPSing a location.

I have used my phone as a GPS in my hand/lap and currently now have it on a GPS holder that mounts to my windshield. I find it more distracting to have it in front of me in the hands-free position than having it in my lap where I check it a less amount of times.

A cop can't tell if you're texting or looking at a navigation system nowadays with smart phones being all the rage.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:28 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus View Post
There are many more things you can do with your phone besides texting while driving. You could be searching for a location to eat or shop or you could also be GPSing a location.

I have used my phone as a GPS in my hand/lap and currently now have it on a GPS holder that mounts to my windshield. I find it more distracting to have it in front of me in the hands-free position than having it in my lap where I check it a less amount of times.

A cop can't tell if you're texting or looking at a navigation system nowadays with smart phones being all the rage.
Agreed. Just because someone is looking at their phone will driving or even pressing buttons doesn't mean they are texting.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matticus View Post

That's just as dangerous as texting and driving. You're still taking your attention away from driving arent you?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:32 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Who knows. I'm pretty sure the state passed a law preventing cities and counties from having texting bans.
You're probably right. Seems local governments can't do any constructive enforcement with out some special interest group greasing the palms in Tallahassee and getting local ordinances over turned. The audacity of the legislature never ceases to amaze me.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:43 PM

46 posts, read 107,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
That's just as dangerous as texting and driving. You're still taking your attention away from driving arent you?
So I can't eat snacks while driving either? That is more distracting IMO because you can spill some on your shirt, and then you HAVE to clean your shirt.

Also, listening to the radio is distracting. Talking to a passenger is distracting. A passenger talking to you is distracting. reaching to your cup holder is distracting. Lighting a cigarette and smoking that cigarette is distracting as well.

So -- all persons must travel without consuming food or drink, without smoking, without any passenger or yourself talking -- no looking at the passengers either.

No crosswalk timers as those take the sight off the road. No billboards, take em down.

No business signs and street addresses must be displayed with numbers that are at least 6" high -- because if you're looking for an address you don't want to have to squint too hard to see those numbers. Oh wait but that could be fixed with a GPS -- sorry those are banned too.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:36 PM

You're being a bit ridiculous but I dont do any of those while driving. Guess it must show i'm from out of the area because I dont listen to the radio while driving or eat/drink. Whatever. My point is typing in an address or looking at a GPS for directions is just as bad as texting, you're looking at a screen and typing in an address, no?

Here's a lovely article that highlights that GPS usage is dangerous as texting:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/G...t-2-68174.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida