Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:53 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times

Advertisements

How often should I water my lawn? Everyday? Every other day? How long? Most of the lawn gets a lot of shade.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Where in the state are you? If I was still in south Florida, with the idiotic water managers who routinely ban lawn watering, I wouldn't water at all.

Generally two or three times a week before the dew has evaporated is all that is needed. On sunny days in the hottest weather, a short (15 minute) spray around 1 PM can lower the lawn temperature and stress.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:07 AM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Where in the state are you? If I was still in south Florida, with the idiotic water managers who routinely ban lawn watering, I wouldn't water at all.

Generally two or three times a week before the dew has evaporated is all that is needed. On sunny days in the hottest weather, a short (15 minute) spray around 1 PM can lower the lawn temperature and stress.
I am in the Tampa/St. Pete area. So 3x a week at about 8-9 a.m. would be good?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I am in the Tampa/St. Pete area. So 3x a week at about 8-9 a.m. would be good?

Thanks for your help.
In Jax, the city wants you to water no more than twice a week and to water either before 10am or after 4pm. Most people set their irrigation systems accordingly and water in the early am hours (4am, 5am, 6am...). There's less evaporation if you water in these early hours....usually less wind too.

The more you water, the more dependent your lawn will be on the watering. It's better to train your lawn to grow deep roots by watering less frequently but deeply. You also stave off potential lawn problems by having the lawn wet less often (fungus, insect, etc. - a wet lawn can encourage problems with these).

Here's a link to a local extension office. The people who volunteer here will be able to answer all of your lawn questions - it's a great (and free) resource:

http://hillsborough.extension.ufl.edu/

Old 08-05-2007, 01:37 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I agree with riveree that twice a week should be fine. Lots of Florida has sand for soil, and fungus issues are overrated. What I have found is that certain pests will go after a hot stressed lawn while ignoring a properly irrigated slightly wetter lawn. YMMV.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:46 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
twice per week... once in the early a.m. and once again in the late afteroon/evening.

i got mine set for like 6 am and again at like 9pm

Old 08-05-2007, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 88,646 times
I don't water mine in the summer at all. In the dry season three times a week.
(south fla).

Old 08-05-2007, 03:13 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times
If you have Bahia grass, you can get by with less watering than St.Augustine grass. Bahia is drought tolerant. I have Bahia and I turn my sprinklers off during the summer months.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times
My St. Augustine that was in the shade seems far better able to cope with infrequent waterings (some times none).

How often you water really depends on what type of grass you have (the different types vary in their requirements) and whether it's in sun or shade. Generally speaking, almost any plant - grass or otherwise - requires more water in sun.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
I haven't watered in a while due to rainy season.
it hasn't rained in two days and if it doesn't rain by this Thursday I will water.
...pichard is the expert on all of this.

so I'll just state what I remember him stating.
don't water St. Augustine at night(you'lll get a fungus)
only water a inch to inch and a half weekly, if I'm not mistaken St. Augustine needs only to be watered once a week. Water in the morning.

W/ Bahai I've noticed that it flurishes furing rainy season and if it gets to hot one day, it'll let you know. But just water it and problem solved.

hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: