U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:48 PM

20 posts, read 161,699 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just recently moved to Fort Myers and am currently renting.

We are looking to buy a house in San Carlos Park and I need to get a list of insurance companies that insure homes in Florida to call for quotes. I did a search but with 208 links regarding home insurance, I could be reading for hours.

Can anyone give me some companies that are currently writting policies in this area. This is all very confusing to me. I am trying to get quotes so that I can estimate what our monthly mortgage payment is going to be.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tamie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,446 times
Your best bet IMHO is to contact an insurance broker. They can do the shopping for you, as there are so many variables on insurance down here you really have to know what you are getting. BTW my insurance premium for this year is 3200.00. Flood insurance is another 1000.00 - if needed.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:27 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,574,642 times
There is no such list as which companies are writing. Just because one insurance company is writing policies in one area of the state (or even your own neighborhood for that matter) doesn't mean they will write for your home. Some of them are now based on Zip Codes as far as whether they will insure or not. So you might be in one zip code and your neighbor 3 homes down is in another zip code.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,126,132 times
Call Great Florida Insurance

Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 PM

25 posts, read 102,079 times
Here's a great website that was given to me by my car insurance company - Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates. You can click on your county and it will list all of the companies and the average rates based on a 150K house. You have to call them to see which ones are writing new policies.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 AM

18 posts, read 97,761 times
Right before we moved to Ga we got a letter from our insurer, Liberty Mutual, that said they were going to drop us if we could not prove that we have had a new roof installed in the past year or if we failed to have one installed in the next 30 days (from the stamped on the letter). Our house was 20 years old and in great shape, but it just so happened that we did in fact have a new roof installed one month prior to receiveing the letter. We stayed with LM while in Fl because our choices were limited.
PS...When shopping for HOI in Ga., LM was also the company that stated we had to have a Hurricane / Wind rider in Ga. @ $300.00 per year PLUS the HOI. We bought just outside of Athens, 316 miles from the coast. No, we didn't go with LM.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 27,021 times
Hi,
we are moving to Estero Florida. We just go a very good quote from USAA. Its not that high and we are very pleased.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:26 PM

36 posts, read 127,777 times
You could check with AAA Insurance Bureau. They do write their own insurance and for several other companies.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:11 PM

272 posts, read 1,443,144 times
USAA only writes policies for military or retired military personnel.

I agree with the previous person who suggested calling an insurance agency (broker) rather than individual companies. We called 9 different companies and were refused before we finally called an agency. Our agent managed to get us 2 quotes. First Protective Insurance gave us the best rate so we went with them. Good luck, insurance in this state is a nightmare right now.

On a side note, if I were you, I would wait another 9 months to a year to buy a house, especially in Ft. Myers. Prices have not hit bottom yet and you will most likely get a better deal later. A lot of people who bought last year are kicking themselves because the value of their house is now less than they paid last summer.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:04 AM

800 posts, read 2,905,039 times
My HO insuance was $1428 for the year. My husband did not pay the premium by mistake. The same company rewrote the policy, identical in every way for $1299! Hubby's mistake saved us money!

I'd name the insurance company but don't want to get another nasty gram from the admins. PM if you want to know.

PS Remember, your insurance rates are based on location, value and age of the home and your own credit score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida