Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 AM

24 posts, read 50,826 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Gainesville; turns out you cannot buy alcohol before 1PM on sundays.

what happened to separation of church and state? What if I don't want my soul to be saved by the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:44 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
This isn't a Florida thing by any means. You'll find it all over the South and in other parts of the country. Look at Bergen County, New Jersey's blue laws. I think Connecticut is still dry on Sundays.

I don't agree with blue laws, but it could be a lot worse. Remember that in Florida, alcohol sales vary by county and even by municipalities within counties.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
This isn't a Florida thing by any means. You'll find it all over the South and in other parts of the country. Look at Bergen County, New Jersey's blue laws. I think Connecticut is still dry on Sundays.

I don't agree with blue laws, but it could be a lot worse. Remember that in Florida, alcohol sales vary by county and even by municipalities within counties.
Some counties in the US (check out Kansas!) don't allow sales at ALL!

Anyway, what's the big whoop, if you are going to need booze before 1:00 on Sunday just buy it the night before.

Here in Manatee County you can buy it at 7:00 a.m. every day including Sunday!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 PM

24 posts, read 50,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Anyway, what's the big whoop, if you are going to need booze before 1:00 on Sunday just buy it the night before.

!

This is not about the booze. This is about freedom of religion (or lack thereof) as a universal human right. This is about members of a certain religious denomination shoving their views down other people's throat. If evangelical christians don't want to drink on sundays, If muslims don't want to drink at all, If jews don't want to eat pork, they are welcome not to do so. They are not entitled to tell me the atheist what to do.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:49 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post
This is not about the booze. This is about freedom of religion (or lack thereof) as a universal human right. This is about members of a certain religious denomination shoving their views down other people's throat. If evangelical christians don't want to drink on sundays, If muslims don't want to drink at all, If jews don't want to eat pork, they are welcome not to do so. They are not entitled to tell me the atheist what to do.
As much as I like to bash Florida and as much as I hate the right wing wackjobs that inhabit the state, you are wrong. It's the same in liberal Massachusetts. They're called Blue Laws. Blue law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
The constitution only guarantees us protection from a state-imposed religion, despite what others may say. That does not guarantee you, as an atheist (or any other type of believer), a freedom from the laws that a particular legislative body enacts. It doesn't matter whether those laws were inspired by religious beliefs or not. As they say, the law is the law. Bottom line, don't waste your energy over such things. You can believe as you like but you will always be subject to the laws established by the majority.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:31 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
This is not about the booze.
I'm thinking it is about the booze. Anyway, you're lucky-wasn't that long ago you couldn't buy it at all on Sundays in most Florida counties.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Quote:
Just moved to Gainesville; turns out you cannot buy alcohol before 1PM on sundays.

what happened to separation of church and state? What if I don't want my soul to be saved by the government?
Quit trolling and wasting time on this forum. Start your own bigshot blog somewhere else.

BTW, people in Gainesville are not responding for a reason.....

Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Guess there must be a bunch of them there evangelicals in the Bronx because I remember not being able to buy booze on Sundays and beer until 1 on Sundays.
I think it may have changed in the last few years up there but where I am in the south I can get beer 24-7. Some bars in unincorporated areas of some counties would be open 23 hours. They would close for an hour to do a little cleaning and open right back up.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
It is a law banning the sale of alcohol during certain hours, not having anything to do with religion. The state is certainly entitled to make laws relating to commerce within its own borders. You are barking up the wrong tree here with a religious argument. If you need liquor on Sunday before 1 make sure you buy it the day before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida