Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
A classic: "my hair stopped falling out when I left",
It's the truth. You know, the opposite of lying.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:50 PM

5,033 posts, read 7,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Spring,

I have a tough time sorting through your many diatribes, simplistic solutions, and broad generalizations. Your "love it or leave it" mentality takes me back to my early teen years of the Vietnam "War" protests..... the advocates (Hawks) telling the kids that if they didn't fight the enemy, they were un-American. Those promoting an end to this conflict, or who did not see its non-monetary value, were frequently stereotyped as traitors to our undefined "American cause". It meant little that this conflict created a boom economy for those same advocates, and our youth too often paid the ultimate price.

Fast forward to 2011, and Florida is quickly becoming a state of only the "haves and have- nots". Amidst the perceived perks of sunshine, great winter weather, and enhanced retiree entitlements, a younger generation is being straddled with the costs. Where the wealthy rule the state economy, giving themselves unconscionable tax perks, right-to-work servants to hire and fire at will, and the economic stranglehold on all who oppose, the youth struggle with the limited opportunities to attain a a liveable wage. Their schools face severe budget cuts annually, as FCAT's are used to manipulate expenditures, not improve educational quality. Too many will be expected to work at near-poverty wages for most of their adult lives, or be forced to join the unemployed (still at double digit levels statewide), get more involved in the "Robin Hood" lifestyle of stealing from the rich to feed their poor (nearing 60% of students meet the low income standards for free and reduced lunches in too many Florida public schools) at the high risk of eventually being prosecuted.

The solution for Florida is not for residents to abandon ship and look elsewhere, but to individually and collectively voice their discontent, and force the politicians to take notice. You have referred to those whose opinion differs from yours as a malcontent and a hater, but ironically, these are the people that probably will make Florida an even better place to live in the long run. I believe that our/their youth deserve better than the scant opportunities and debts that we are bestowing upon them.
Love your post, Coach and Florida IS becoming a state of rich and desperately poor. It was slow at first, then sped up in the 90's. Where I was raised (mixed income neighborhood with more blue collar families than not) is now priced to where a working class family couldn't afford it. Not even close. It's not only the rise in home values, the wages have been regressing in buying power for years. Some may say this is happening everywhere (doubt it), but I live here (for now).

Believe it or not, there was a time in my innocent younger days where I was actively involved and fought for issues I thought were important to a state I loved. And there was a lot of folks there with me. A lot. Now, not so much. Decades of growth management laws (albeit, somewhat weak ones) gone and not a peep out of the populace. We've gone from Bob Graham and LeRoy Collins to Rick Scott. Public school teachers (all public employees, actually) are now the enemy. It will be interesting to see what happens when the defined pensions so despised by many start to dry up-I'm betting the relocation of retirees will dry up also.

Let the next generation fight the good fight (if they're up to it or even interested)-I'm jumping ship.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,038,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
I can assure you that if the SS recipient has either additional income or a working spouse, that SS income could/will be taxed again if the total income tax bracket changes. It is not all "free and clear" income when filing a tax return and will definitely affect the amount of taxes owed and/or refunded.
Timing is everything in receiving one's Social Security entitlement. Those who collect SS at age 62 are much more likely to be paying federal taxes above a certain income level than the individuals who opted to wait until full retirement. SS income, as well as any pension income, IRA proceeds, and any inheritance income are fully "free and clear" income for the Florida senior.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:51 PM

374 posts, read 946,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Timing is everything in receiving one's Social Security entitlement. Those who collect SS at age 62 are much more likely to be paying federal taxes above a certain income level than the individuals who opted to wait until full retirement. SS income, as well as any pension income, IRA proceeds, and any inheritance income are fully "free and clear" income for the Florida senior.
My hub waited and began collecting at age 65, which was the age he could receive full benefits, so his SS benefits were/are not affected regardless of additional income. However, he continued to work for another three years, and when added to my income and any additional income he has, those SS benefits increase the tax due and, thus, are TAXED AGAIN. He is now retired, but his benefit has a tremendous affect on our tax due. Yours is a common misconception.

"Early retirement" at an age younger than when you would receive full benefits means you receive a lower monthly benefit. AND, you are allowed to earn "X" dollars without your monthly benefit being reduced. If you go over the allowed earnings, your SS benefit is reduced accordingly for the balance of the year. I'm not sure if the reduction will reduce to a point of no benefit based on earning. That's a question for the SS office. However, receiving early benefits has little to do with paying income tax, but everything to do with reduction of benefits. And, the calculations also have everything to do with the month you BEGIN receiving benefits. For example, if your birthday is in Jan, you would begin receiving a check in Feb (they pay for the prior month.) You would have the entire year to meet the income level/restriction. However, if your birthday is in June (as is my hub's) you may already have made more than the quota allowed for the entire year and even though you officially signed up to receive benefits, your monthly check for the balance of that year might be very little or zero.

Last edited by TN Gal now; 06-26-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I don't think anyone here who likes Florida is saying it's all rainbows and sunshine. In fact, if you read the retort posts, we ADMIT it's hot and humid here. We ADMIT that it's different.

I think we get frustrated by several things....

1-Exaggeration. Posts that say "it's the worst weather ever, it's 100 degrees out every day and (unbelievably) I PREFER TO LIVE IN THE COLD AND SNOW" or junk like "CRIME IS RAMPANT! I HEARD THAT SOMEONE WAS MURDERED" and hyperbole. Someone in THIS VERY THREAD claimed that you can't get fresh seafood in Florida. THAT is the nonsense we get tired of.

2-Malcontents. People who say things like "I moved to Florida in 2006 and I couldn't find a job, even though I looked. I used to easily be able to find work in (awesome city that they abandoned to move here) without a problem and I can't find work here." Well, why did you move here without a job???

3-People who want Florida to be like "back home." They'll come on here and say "the schools aren't like back in the great state of (place they abandoned to move here)"....or "I can't find a good New York style pizza place like I could in New York"...or "I miss the change of seasons, it's always the same in Florida, it NEVER changes." Gee, if it's so great back where you used to live, WHY DID YOU MOVE HERE????"

So, you see, it's not like we're saying it's perfect, but the typical complaints are BS by people who should have known better.
All true. moving here with no job is a setup for disaster, yet all the time we see the same threads "moving to Florida, want an apartment for $400 a month, no crime, great schools and plentiful jobs" They ask the same questions, get the same answers, come here, fail, and it's all FL's fault. I agree that is just plain stupid.

I have found good seafood here... And I am from New England! Also we have a GREAT pizza place across the street, best in FL in my 18 years here!

I do miss season changes and cool/cold weather though. That is really my only complaint. Yeah I have said FL car insurance is a bit too high, but...

I am leaving in 6 months, but I am saving up a good chunk of cash before we leave. I have job contacts, so i am not setting myself up for a disaster.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
moving here with no job is a setup for disaster, yet all the time we see the same threads "moving to Florida, want an apartment for $400 a month, no crime, great schools and plentiful jobs" They ask the same questions, get the same answers, come here, fail, and it's all FL's fault. I agree that is just plain stupid.
They do the same thing in the TN forum. They all want to find Mayberry with great schools, jobs, weather, no crime, and on and on. Unemployment rates do not pertain to them because they can get a job when no one else can. It's the same all over. And if you try to give them some realistic advice like, oh, rent first and don't move until you know you have a job well, they often get huffy. Same old story.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,949,710 times
1. Seasons
2. Mountains
3. Fashion beyond tank-tops and flip-flops

Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM

817 posts, read 2,253,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
1. Seasons
2. Mountains
3. Fashion beyond tank-tops and flip-flops
Again, I have to ask....why would one move here if one wants those things???

Anyone who doesn't know that there are no mountains in Florida is, frankly, an idiot...and if mountains are important to you, why would you move to Florida?

And seasons...if having red leaves on the trees, and snow matters to you...again....why move to Florida?

Man, this thread is like a pandora's box of things that irritate me about transplants...every time I open it, another bunch of crap flies out...here's another...Florida HAS SEASONS.

Are they like in Massachusetts? No, but if you've been here a while, you know how to recognize them.

And yet another thing about this thread that is pissing me off...the very title. "What about Florida makes EVERYONE want to leave?"

EVERYONE wants to leave Florida? Really?

Sheesh.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 AM

711 posts, read 1,857,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Decades of growth management laws (albeit, somewhat weak ones) gone and not a peep out of the populace.
As well they should. "Smart growth" makes housing more expensive, not less. In any case, Florida's land markets, especially in SE Florida, still have far too much growth management.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,782,572 times
Florida does have seasons. Hot and not as hot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida