Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Misery loves company Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Your posts are a joke and I am sure the majority see through them.
Each time you write this drivel more and more people laugh at you.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 PM

According to you THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of restaurants throughout the state "suck". What an amazing conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Let me rephrase this... Florida has plenty of fresh seafood, grouper and mahi glazed in suntan oil. I prefer northern seafood, right out of the sea, baked with little accoutrements. And yes, Florida restaurants suck. We've got vivid memories of a celebratory evening in Vero Beach at a well known hotel restaurant where the fish (can't remember what it was now but it was $32/entree) was cut in a perfect rectangle, just like a fish stick. It was the exact moment that we decided we'd save our dining experiences for our trips north.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
According to you THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of restaurants throughout the state "suck". What an amazing conclusion.
I also never heard of anything being cooked with accoutrements either.
But I guess they like to adorn their seafood up there with epaulets and such.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:50 PM

That poster obviously does not know the meaning of the word they used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I also never heard of anything being cooked with accoutrements either.
But I guess they like to adorn their seafood up there with epaulets and such.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
So many people on this forum say "I can't wait to go back to NY/NJ/PA/MI/NH/OH to enjoy all the great things they have to offer". What exactly do these places or any others offer that Florida does not? It confuses me. Many people act like these places are safer or cleaner or less of a hell than Florida, some are, but most cities in the NE are hellholes compared to Florida's cities. A girl I knew once told me that NJ's cities are "less ghetto" than Florida's. I almost died laughing! Makes me wonder what rose colored glasses these people are looking through. Your opinions please!

Lets see my part of new york has:

Fall Time:
Multiple Haunted Houses which are cheap around $5-15 dollars
Pumpkin Picking (Which includes going to fields and getting to pick your own)
Haunted Hayrides
Football Games
Cool Air
Pick Your Own Apples
Hiking (Letchworth State Park)
Corn Mazes
Fall Festivals (Apple Fest, Pumpkin Fest, Halloween Fest, Fright Fest)

Winter Time:
Snowboarding
Christmas on the Canal
Snowshoeing
Skiing
Build Snowmen
Snowdays (which includes work)
The beautiful christmas light shows

Summer/Spring Time:
Start of festival season the following are all the events that happen in summer/spring (over 50 things to do!)
Festivals - Rochester Wiki
Beach
State Parks
Movie Drive-Ins
Carnivals (One in every suburb in the summer)

General:
My job is now 9-4 and i get paid more and get more benefits compared to my old 8-6 job.
Everything is walkable in my village (Village of Fairport) and gorgeous
[LEFT]The Finger Lakes region of New York State is abundant with numerous wineries lining the Upstate New York Lakes. They are a short drive from Rochester.
Historical Sites all within 10-45 minutes.
Cheaper electric in villages
Cheaper groceries

I am so busy this summer! Florida lacked all of these things and everyone whose come to visit has fallen in love. Of course like all citys theres problems but the benefits outweigh them.[/LEFT]

Yes these things can be found in Florida but they arent located 10-15 minutes away from a major city.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
This thread is ridiculous. Anyone that says you can't get good fresh seafood in Florida pretty much just verifies that they are simply an ingrate who moved here and realized that they couldn't make it in Florida, so they blame the state instead of themselves.

This is not a perfect place to live, but here's a news flash...NO PLACE IS. I lived in Houston for a few years after college, and I didn't like it. I moved back to Florida and have never looked back. Do I go on the Texas boards and rag that state out? No! Why would I? I didn't like it there but it has its merits.

If you couldn't make it in Florida, then go back to where you came from and be happy there. Florida is a great place to live, and it's made better by people who move here and adopt the lifestyle. It's made worse by ingrates who move here and then complain because it's not like where they moved from. Well guess what, genius? IT'S NOT WHERE YOU MOVED FROM.

I couldn't imagine moving from Tampa to New Jersey, and then complaining that the winters are too cold, the taxes too high, the people too rude, the cost of living too high, ad nauseum. If I didn't know that stuff going in...that's MY FAULT, not the state's fault. Sheesh.

To answer the OP's question....

"What does Florida lack that makes people want to go home?"

What is lacks is that it's not the state that they moved from. They need to go back home if they don't like it here, and stop complaining that it's the state's fault, when it's actually their own.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Lets see my part of new york has:

Fall Time:
Multiple Haunted Houses which are cheap around $5-15 dollars
Pumpkin Picking (Which includes going to fields and getting to pick your own)
Haunted Hayrides
Football Games
Cool Air
Pick Your Own Apples
Hiking (Letchworth State Park)
Corn Mazes
Fall Festivals (Apple Fest, Pumpkin Fest, Halloween Fest, Fright Fest)

Winter Time:
Snowboarding
Christmas on the Canal
Snowshoeing
Skiing
Build Snowmen
Snowdays (which includes work)
The beautiful christmas light shows

Summer/Spring Time:
Start of festival season the following are all the events that happen in summer/spring (over 50 things to do!)
Festivals - Rochester Wiki
Beach
State Parks
Movie Drive-Ins
Carnivals (One in every suburb in the summer)

General:
My job is now 9-4 and i get paid more and get more benefits compared to my old 8-6 job.
Everything is walkable in my village (Village of Fairport) and gorgeous
The Finger Lakes region of New York State is abundant with numerous wineries lining the Upstate New York Lakes. They are a short drive from Rochester.
Historical Sites all within 10-45 minutes.
Cheaper electric in villages
Cheaper groceries

I am so busy this summer! Florida lacked all of these things and everyone whose come to visit has fallen in love. Of course like all citys theres problems but the benefits outweigh them.

Yes these things can be found in Florida but they arent located 10-15 minutes away from a major city.
Is this kind of like when you were posting in the NY forum about how much you pay in property taxes here while at the same time you were bitching in the Florida forums about your boyfriends parents not paying the rent on your apartment anymore?
In other words you have no credibility.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:42 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
I think the "accoutrements" are probably raspberries. I'm amazed at how many restaurants in New England whose offerings pass for fine dining insist on putting berries into everything. Cranberries on your salad, raspberry vinagrette dressing, blackberry sauce on salmon... and if it isn't that it's oysters in the stuffing of your Thanksgiving turkey.

Just give me the fish as it come out of the sea, minimal cooking with lemon, butter and garlic and I'm good.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Did you ever consider that folks reading this post might be from outside Florida, looking to move to Florida, and reading this to see if what is lacking is something important to them ? Maybe they wouldn't move if something stated wasn't to their liking ? And by something lacking, I mean something you can't look up on Google.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
When I used to vacation in Florida many years ago (before I became a full time resident) I always looked forward to stopping at a casual restaurant along the road to get a grouper sandwich. It's a distant memory, but I can still hear myself going "mmmmmmm" and "ahhhhhhhhh." I think this was along route 1 in the Florida Keys. (and, yes, I was alone )

Florida consistently ranks among the top 5 states for fresh seafood production. So saying Florida doesn't have good fish compared to New England is like saying New England doesn't have good fish compared to the Pacific Northwest. The best salmon I've eaten in my life was in Bodega Bay, CA. Depends on what you like. I've had freshly caught dolphinfish (called mahi mahi on menus so tourists won't cry "you killed Flipper?") Grouper is also a local fish that's tasty, along with red snapper, pompano and yellowfin tuna.

I don't go out to eat any more, so I can't comment too much on the quality of the restaurants. Maybe I sound cheap but I can't see spending $100 for a meal when you can buy a good bottle of wine and have a great dinner for 2, a movie, and still plenty of money left over. A couple of friends insist on taking me out to dinner once in a while, but I only go along for the company, since I usually enjoy something simple. Is Skip One still in Fort Myers? Now that's fresh seafood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida