Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times

Advertisements

Going to an entirely different state from where you used to live, and expecting it to be the same as the state you came from, and then whine about it when it isn't -- I think that's the definition of insanity.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 PM

113 posts, read 297,081 times
Florida just cant keep up with the Midwest

Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM

150 posts, read 475,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
People come down here with unrealistic expectations and/or no financial stability. They do little to no research and, when they fail, they blame it on the entire state and go back to wherever they came from.
Quoted for truth.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMan015 View Post
Florida just cant keep up with the Midwest
Sure it can, salt water is very effective at creating rust.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:44 PM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
First of all, this is a HUGE thread and I haven't been here a while so I have to catch up. But again, this is one of many threads debating whether or not life here is better or worst. I've leaned on the negative side and I won't repeat it all here, if you want to see my arguments, look up my name and read all threads and posts by me.

But I wonder, those who brag about how good the weather is, are they really boasting about it now? I hear a lot about the great FL weather in the winter time, but for those folks who really love the heat, are you really loving it, or are you saying that as you lay by the pool and sip a Mai Tai, or walk to/fro a chilly air conditioned office, house, or mall, or drive in your air conditioned car? Is anyone here truly going outside in the middle of the day, taking a brisk walk or driving with the windows open, ac off, or top down, and saying, hey, this weather's for me!? It's in the mid-90's with high humidity, creating a heat index of low 100's... I'll await the responses when the north is in a deep freeze and below zero...

Oh, and BTW, I've calmed down and said to each his own, if this is what you really love, then I truly respect it. I've voiced this wasn't for me as others have, but some people will use economic reasons, if not the climate, for staying down here, but as i've said, my wife and I are willing to give up the mortgage-free living and start paying for a home back north because that is our preference, despite the cold weather and higher taxes. Doesn't make sense to many, just as it doesn't make sense to others about those who want to stay down here. Truly, to each his/her own...home is where the heart is.

Last edited by ngrome; 06-24-2011 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-24-2011, 01:56 PM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
while I miss my White Castles ,a real chicago hot dog a great steak from Morton's or Gibsons, I am not going back to the land of high taxes,both property and state,more corrupt politicians than we have here, roads loaded with potholes,towel heads that think they own the country and want everything for free, the lack of conceal carry and every other stupid Illinois law that they make up on a whim.

I will stay here and suffer through all the horrible weather ,learn how to get rid of cinch bugs , mind my own business choose my friends and aquaintences,pay a lot lower property taxes Excersise and enjoy my Scotch.

I think that sums it all up, Ya All have nice day Hear
I've lived down here in Orlando for at least 13 years, coming from Chicago. I see what you're saying, but the argument about "corrupt" politicians I don't really buy. Despite the corruption and higher taxes up north, you are actually seeing progress being made either on the tollways, schools, or somewhere in the infrastructure.

There is some truth to how it's taking forever for some of the infrastructure improvement to be completed, and some to even start, around here. Just look around the major roads and highways. The laws and everything else, may seem very restrictive in IL, but I see a little bit more peaceful living up there because if it. People down here seem they get free will to anything. Just look at some of the stuff people are allowed to do to pile on their vehicles and back of their pickup trucks, stacked high and just tied loosely with what looks like kite string, posing a road hazard to everybody should something fall off, particularly on the highway. Up north, such a thing won't be allowed to go a few miles until a state trooper sees it, cites it, and takes it off the road.

I will say things are improving down here in FL, but it has taken very long. I'm sure it will get better, but after 13 years, I've waited it out too long.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:30 PM

248 posts, read 535,432 times
I'm from NJ, lived in FL for 5 yrs, and moved back up north. Just couldn't get used to it. It just wasn't home. People's personalities are so different, missed the seasons, old friends, etc. I miss my lanai and pool / jacuzzi in FL, and Disney, but that's about it.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 PM

126 posts, read 711,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
But I wonder, those who brag about how good the weather is, are they really boasting about it now? I hear a lot about the great FL weather in the winter time, but for those folks who really love the heat, are you really loving it, or are you saying that as you lay by the pool and sip a Mai Tai, or walk to/fro a chilly air conditioned office, house, or mall, or drive in your air conditioned car? Is anyone here truly going outside in the middle of the day, taking a brisk walk or driving with the windows open, ac off, or top down, and saying, hey, this weather's for me!? It's in the mid-90's with high humidity, creating a heat index of low 100's... I'll await the responses when the north is in a deep freeze and below zero...

That's like asking those who love snow if they say that only because they go skiing or sledding while wearing a sweater, mittens, ear muffs, boots etc and can come inside and sit by the fire and drink hot cocoa. I mean, C'MON! Florida without air conditioning in the summer is like Massachusetts without heating in winter, it's just not gonna work. And yes, I do take brisk walks when it's 95 outside, doesn't phase me. Call me crazy, although jumping into the pool afterwards is always so awesome and refreshing!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy2 View Post
Going to an entirely different state from where you used to live, and expecting it to be the same as the state you came from, and then whine about it when it isn't -- I think that's the definition of insanity.
I love this statement. I have always said"Why move here if you want or expect it to be exactly like what you moved away from?"

And please quit trying to make Florida" Mini New York, New Jersey, Ohio, , Illinois, Minnesota, California or anyone of the other 49 states. Let us be Florida with all its faults or bells and whistles. Enjoy what we are.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:08 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Bravo!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I love this statement. I have always said"Why move here if you want or expect it to be exactly like what you moved away from?"

And please quit trying to make Florida" Mini New York, New Jersey, Ohio, , Illinois, Minnesota, California or anyone of the other 49 states. Let us be Florida with all its faults or bells and whistles. Enjoy what we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida