Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 02:58 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

The problem is the negative on Fl people can't stand any rebuttal to their thoughts. They take great offense to anything that proves them wrong.
They will go off onto other matters ignoring the original purpose of the thread and never stand up for their position. Only the strong survive in FL. No place for pansies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFlipperX View Post
Well, at least it gives us a chance to provide them with a good argument to defeat their negative views. Look at the bright side . The transplants come down for the wrong reasons anyway, that is why I prefer to live where there are more permanent residents in North Florida. They come down and contribute to ruining every facet of the sense of community, along with destroying this part of the earth. I have a name for those people- selfish hogs. They are the ones who made Florida to be not what they expected anyway. Sometimes I think that a lot of them believe that where they live in Florida will be like living within Disney World or something.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM

623 posts, read 966,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Florida does have seasons. Hot and not as hot...
Sounds like New Hampshire cold and not as cold

Old 06-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Or Maine. 2 seasons. Winter and 4th of July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
Sounds like New Hampshire cold and not as cold

Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Houston, the largest city with virtually no land zoning ordinances?
Not just Houston, though of course its no-zoning rule gets the most press. Houston's suburbs do have zoning, btw. Zoning is not the same thing as smart growth, though tight and destructive zoning is part and parcel of smart growth schemes. In a non smart-growth area, you can build anything that matches the zoning. In smart growth, the planning commission not only decides if what you want to build is permitted by the zoning, but withholds permits if "too much" housing is built, and they tell you exactly what that housing is going to look like, rather than let the developer discover what the market wants. That is the central hubris of planners: that they are so expert that they know better what should be built.

Smart growth jurisdictions charge high fees to developers, which is why developers always build upscale in SG areas: government imposed costs (in both time and money) make it impossible to build affordable housing. Government, for its part, cannot be unaware of this fact. However, upscale housing brings higher tax revenue, so they don't really care if lower-class people get screwed. Just take a look at the most celebrated smart growth town, Portland OR.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Houston, the largest city with virtually no land zoning ordinances?
Funny you should mention this-I have scads of family in Texas, mostly the Houston area, and I'm always amazed what a cobbled up hell hole it is. 7-11s, bars, auto repair shops just spring up everywhere, right in the middle of neighborhoods. You can go to bed at night living next to a vacant lot and wake up to a McDonalds under construction. I can see why loose zoning laws would make housing cheap-who would ever pay good money to live like that?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
1. Seasons
2. Mountains
3. Fashion beyond tank-tops and flip-flops
I guess temperatures between 18 degrees and 98 degrees isn't considered different seasons to you then.
As far as mountains, I think most people realize that long before they move to Florida since it has been this way for probably a few 100 million years if not more.
I won't bother addressing the last statement as it is idiotic.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Just because someone states negatives does not mean they are bashing. Every state has some. Many don't want to hear the negatives which is also going to cause problems. Or they don't want to look at what may not work out for their situation. You have to be realistic.
Then again some come and post utter bull.
If someone comes to Florida and expect mountains and leaves because there are none then that person is just a complete moron.
Some love Florida but can't handle the weather after a while and that is understandable, it is not for everyone.
There is no place that suits everyone but there are some people that will say that Florida has no good seafood, should Floridians that know the truth about that just let the shat fly? No, we are going to say something.

I have been accused of pumping up Florida but when I ask those that say that to point out the posts where I pump the state rather than just dispel untruths I get silence in response.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
What does Florida lack that makes everyone want to go home? Maybe a sense of humor? You Florida people are taking this discussion WAY too personally ...

Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Gee, I have that same problem. Wonder why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Snip.....but when I ask those that say that to point out the posts where I pump the state rather than just dispel untruths I get silence in response.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What does Florida lack that makes everyone want to go home? Maybe a sense of humor? You Florida people are taking this discussion WAY too personally ...
I didn't see any jokes in your posts.
Maybe you could point them out.
It seems you may have taken it a little personal since you have no actual rebuttal to the responses just that Floridians have no sense of humor.
Might I point out , another ridiculous generalization.
If you want jokes there is always ebaumsworld.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida