Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Australian pine is an aggressively growing tree with deep roots that kills other plants by smothering them in a thick blanket of fallen needles. Groups of the trees displace native plants that help control erosion, and they also eradicate wildlife habitats, making it impossible for some species to survive.

Exotic Plants in the Everglades | Garden Guides

Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
The 2 mentioned CRAP trees also rob water from all surrounding plants, grass and trees and kill them off... Yeah let's grow more of them!!! Malaleuca's and Australian pines have NO beneficial use...

Old 07-16-2011, 09:25 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
The 2 mentioned CRAP trees also rob water from all surrounding plants, grass and trees and kill them off... Yeah let's grow more of them!!! Malaleuca's and Australian pines have NO beneficial use...
Don't they make tea tree oil out of malaleuca?
OD

Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Don't they make tea tree oil out of malaleuca?
OD
YES, BUT... From these meleleuca's below.

Melaleuca alternifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOT the ones here in FL.... We are blessed with a giant weed here in FL.

Melaleuca quinquenervia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-2011, 05:49 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
There you go! Can you bold and capitalize everything? And stomp your feet while doing that?

OD

Old 07-17-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
There you go! Can you bold and capitalize everything? And stomp your feet while doing that?

OD
Back off and give it a rest, the bold is from Wikipedia... WHAT, are you even talking about anyways? I'll tell my mommy if you don't stop picking on me...

Great rebuttal by the way.

Last edited by ChrisA70; 07-17-2011 at 06:15 AM..

Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 AM

182 posts, read 272,753 times
Basically, folks visit FL in December and think 'gee, this is super! warm and sunny!'

then they move and discover that 9 months are a beastly humid jungle, the glare of the blazing sun never ends, and the bugs....well, never mind. Sudddenly the january to march snow isn't such a big deal anymore...

Old 07-17-2011, 10:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
It's all pretty relative, honestly. Try going 3-4 months without seeing the sun in much more than small doses & the 9 months isn't such a problem...its what they make sunglasses for.

Also, if you really believe Florida's weather is too hot for 9 months, then I am sorry...you just aren't cut out for hot weather and should know your body tolerances better. With certain rare exceptions for people with health/respiratory issues...you really aren't trying to acclimate to the weather if you aren't outside. You can't go from a northern climate down to FL and think you'll just adjust in 6 months while sitting in the AC. You have to get out into the weather & lose your previous hangups. Yes...sweating is a normal body function, and yes...you will sweat less & less the more you are in the weather. To the point that you will get "cold" in 72 degree AC environments just like the natives. When that happens...your electric bill will go down as well!

I've known people who have lived in FL for 10 or 20+ years but complain about actually being outside under a covered porch even. Sure, you aren't always interested in sweating...and its hard not to in the 95+ degree days...but 87? 84? In shade...you should be able to feel reasonably comfortable with a fan or breeze if you are acclimating properly. And sitting inside a 72 degree AC environment will not help you acclimate.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 AM

81 posts, read 275,958 times
I am from PA and I come on these FL forums for some info because I am planning on moving to North Port, FL, next year. I already have a job lined up and I am saving to have extra cash.

I just can't believe the nasty negative comments on this FL forum, just constant bashing FL. Who's fault is it that you moved to FL and now you don't like it? Instead of just saying, oh, FL wasn't what I thought it was, instead people have to bash FL like it's a person, and that it's FL's fault cause there lives aren't the way they thought they would be when they moved. Don't you realize that when you moved that it would be hot in the summer, you have to get up and go work everyday, and its wasn't gonna be a vacation? Well I'm not gonna let the negative things on here hold me from moving, if I don't like what FL has to offer then, hey, I will move back home.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:09 AM

182 posts, read 272,753 times
Default climate

I'm sorry, but I prefer the North because i DO like to be outside....i ride my bike in january when it is 25 degrees....all you need is a jacket, a cap, and gloves.
And i can ride it in july when it is 80 with low humidity.

What i cannot do in Florida 8 or 9 months of the year is bike in high heat high humidity sun glare, or in clouds of bugs or in the daily storms.

Just my preference. But if one looks around in Florida, one will note that not many folks are out luxuriating in the jungle humidity for much of the year.

And my goodness, this is not the arctic circle, we do NOT go three months with rarely seeing the sun.

Within my circle of acquaintance are many Northerners who want to go South the get away from january-february....they have NO concept of the LOOOOOONG Florida summer and its humidity....far longer and more brutal than a Northern winter where I am. Conversely, a number of Floridians of my acquaintance despise the humidity in their home State and basically spend more than half or each year hiding in air conditioned homes, offices, stores and cars.

Basically, what it comes down to is 2 things: first, do you want the spend half the year in very very high humidity with relentless sunshine? And, second, are you content with moving to FL and leaving behind every trace of your own and your family's history and acquaintances? Some folks do want to leave that all behind and make their own little world, with themselves at the center. Several I know like that moved to Florida. And delight in telling people that they hated snow. They never say that they really like the humidity of FL. though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida