Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post

You have to get out into the weather & lose your previous hangups. Yes...sweating is a normal body function, and yes...you will sweat less & less the more you are in the weather.
I sweat less and less the more I stay inside. Inside-no sweat. Outside-lots of sweat.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:38 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
Basically, folks visit FL in December and think 'gee, this is super! warm and sunny!'

then they move and discover that 9 months are a beastly humid jungle, the glare of the blazing sun never ends, and the bugs....well, never mind. Sudddenly the january to march snow isn't such a big deal anymore...
Thought I agree with your general premise I think what gets little mention is what you say happens to many of us after a long time here who might have really liked it early on. Actually the first few years or even that first decade are the easiest. If you haven't acclimated early on you never will. Also anyone who hasn't lived an extended period of time in BOTH the north and Florida shouldn't be judging either.. I am shocked my self how much more I now prefer 55-60 degree dry 'cold' days as oppossed to 85-90 high humidity typical days down here whereas 15 years ago that was not the case. Maybe the question folks should ask themselves is do you enjoy the spring and fall better down here or up there?..

Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I prefer the North because i DO like to be outside....i ride my bike in january when it is 25 degrees....all you need is a jacket, a cap, and gloves.
And i can ride it in july when it is 80 with low humidity.

What i cannot do in Florida 8 or 9 months of the year is bike in high heat high humidity sun glare, or in clouds of bugs or in the daily storms.

Just my preference. But if one looks around in Florida, one will note that not many folks are out luxuriating in the jungle humidity for much of the year.

And my goodness, this is not the arctic circle, we do NOT go three months with rarely seeing the sun.

Within my circle of acquaintance are many Northerners who want to go South the get away from january-february....they have NO concept of the LOOOOOONG Florida summer and its humidity....far longer and more brutal than a Northern winter where I am. Conversely, a number of Floridians of my acquaintance despise the humidity in their home State and basically spend more than half or each year hiding in air conditioned homes, offices, stores and cars.

Basically, what it comes down to is 2 things: first, do you want the spend half the year in very very high humidity with relentless sunshine? And, second, are you content with moving to FL and leaving behind every trace of your own and your family's history and acquaintances? Some folks do want to leave that all behind and make their own little world, with themselves at the center. Several I know like that moved to Florida. And delight in telling people that they hated snow. They never say that they really like the humidity of FL. though...
Just took my car for an oil change and while it was in there I took about a 5 mile walk, the weather was perfect and I saw many other people out and about.

I find it hilarious that you chide someone on exaggerations about the north but then turn around and exaggerate the weather in the south.

And how does moving to Florida equal leaving behind every trace of your own and your family's history and acquaintances? That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have read on here. Not #1 but I would definitely say top 10, and I have read some really ridiculous things on C-D.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:39 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Thought I agree with your general premise I think what gets little mention is what you say happens to many of us after a long time here who might have really liked it early on. Actually the first few years or even that first decade are the easiest. If you haven't acclimated early on you never will. Also anyone who hasn't lived an extended period of time in BOTH the north and Florida shouldn't be judging either.. I am shocked my self how much more I now prefer 55-60 degree dry 'cold' days as oppossed to 85-90 high humidity typical days down here whereas 15 years ago that was not the case. Maybe the question folks should ask themselves is do you enjoy the spring and fall better down here or up there?..
I loved it here when I first came in 1994, I was 24 then. It didn't bother me much at all. I just never got used to the heat, and I now know without a doubt, I never will. So....

Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I prefer the North because i DO like to be outside....i ride my bike in january when it is 25 degrees....all you need is a jacket, a cap, and gloves.
And i can ride it in july when it is 80 with low humidity.
That's fantastic that you enjoy the northern climate better. So why did you make the move to FL in the first place if you enjoyed such a climate already? The vast employment options in FL?

The fact that you didn't do your homework isn't the fault of FL. It is a hot place to live, which you are either going to embrace & acclimate to or not. And this will be based on your decisions and lifestyle once you get to FL. No...your family will not also be there when you come down. And no...December is not the typical weather in ANY area of the continental US.

Best to you in your future decision making.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I sweat less and less the more I stay inside. Inside-no sweat. Outside-lots of sweat.
Different strokes for different folks and all. Nothing wrong with "normally" having the AC cranked & feeling comfortable...just saying if you are not acclimated & just lock yourself inside every time there is a 95 degree day, you wont be as likely to enjoy an 85 degree day.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
I think a round of applause is in order. That's quite an achievement . I also like how you have broken it down for all of us here.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Different strokes for different folks and all. Nothing wrong with "normally" having the AC cranked & feeling comfortable...just saying if you are not acclimated & just lock yourself inside every time there is a 95 degree day, you wont be as likely to enjoy an 85 degree day.
I get all the "enjoyment" of the great outdoors during the week (I work outside-the closest I get to AC is some random passing cloud ). The weekends are for staying inside with the shades drawn and sweet cool air blasting. Joy!

Old 07-17-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I get all the "enjoyment" of the great outdoors during the week (I work outside-the closest I get to AC is some random passing cloud ). The weekends are for staying inside with the shades drawn and sweet cool air blasting. Joy!
Understood. I worked outside in FL for many years myself and know the feeling. Just a much more enjoyable time when you have some water around.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM

23 posts, read 36,249 times
Planning to retire. I've lived in a tropical climate and many other places so I'm not worried about most of the negative things people say here about Florida....except the food. I'm not picky but I do want organic milk and eggs and produce. Is it true that those items are not easily available in Florida? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida