Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Thanks. I just don't want to be thrown into a basher/hater bin... I have about 8 weeks left until we move back up north, just the thought of cool weather makes me feel better. Trying to stay positive....
Hampton Beach was just awesome today.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Hampton Beach was just awesome today.
Nice!!!! I have not been there in 15 years.... Since about 2007 I think.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Exactly. See? We agree on something. No place is perfect.
Some are just "more perfect" then others and I am in the "perfect" spot for me right now in Florida. Thanks for agreeing with me on this.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 AM

Sad that the naysayers and Florida haters work so hard to try and get a good thread shut down with their hijacking and baiting of other posters.

Remember what the topic is and stick to it, this is a Florida positive only thread. It is not a personal attack thread, not a prove a positive wrong thread, it is about the experience and positives of me and my family moving to Florida.

If you do not like the thread, please stay the heck out of it and start your own I hate Florida threads so the haters can all mingle and share their horrific stories, blame Florida or talk about those 10 pound red rants that will eat you alive.

Until then, we are up at 7 heading to Webster and then heading on over the the beach for the rest of the day.

Life in paradise has been very good to us.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
This thread is turning sad. Even if a person does not like FL for those who do they should be respectful of that. Same with the flip side of people who like up north.
I think it is so nice when people find happiness in a place. I hope everyone can and that includes me too.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Nice!!!! I have not been there in 15 years.... Since about 2007 I think.
I meant 1997.... DUH!!!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I have cleaned the thread up. Stay on topic and please report bad posts rather than respond to posts that are off topic

Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
It appears that the problems you refer to are not at all a "Florida thing", but certainly a nationwide problem. People have lost their jobs, homes and everything else everywhere.

As far as cuts in Federal funding, in a lot of affected areas too many people have learned to live "on the dole" and a stressed system is only going to be further stressed but what is the option?

Osceola and also a whole lot of Seminole county has always been more depressed than for instance, Orange county. The people who suffer the effects first are those on the lower rungs of the ladder and a lot of those people are in rural Seminole and Osceola County.

At least 85 pct of the working population in Fl works so its not so bad for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You said you live in Central Florida outside of Orlando, right?

When asked why he chose Central Florida to report on the effects of the recession, Scott Pelley of CBS mentioned 11-year-old Destiny Corfee, whose family lives in a motel, and 14 year old Jacob Braverman, whose family moved in with neighbors after losing their home to foreclosure. He said he wanted people to know that soon the poverty rate in some Central Florida counties would reach 25%.

However, rather than post my own comment, at the risk of being called a "Florida basher" I believe this next quote says it all and pretty much sums up the ongoing debate on this thread.

'60 Minutes' spotlights homeless Central Florida kids - Orlando Sentinel

"It is particularly acute in Seminole and Osceola and some of the other counties around Orlando. It is one of the most challenged places in the country. So many thousands of people come there from all over the world, and it should be said Disney World provides an enormous number of jobs. But you have this utopian Disney World, and on the outskirts you have about a 21 percent poverty rate for children."

Florida is a beautiful state and a nice place to live. However, discussing the problems that face families every day does not make someone a whiner. Your comment about people who complain about losing their jobs/homes is one of the most insensitive things I've ever read on this board. The Miami Herald recently published an article about the effects of the Federal cuts on South Florida. Goodwill might have to lay off disabled factory workers because of the Pentagon budget cuts. Guess those people are "whiners" too?

Federal cutbacks will hurt South Florida’s economy - Business - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/05/2348299/federal-cutbacks-will-hurt-south.html - broken link)

"It’s a very desperate situation for us,’’ said Dennis Pastrana, chief executive of the charity.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have cleaned the thread up. Stay on topic and please report bad posts rather than respond to posts that are off topic

Thank you.

The topic is about my experiences in moving to Florida and how it is going since I got here. So far, it has gone fantastic and I (we) could not be any happier.

Did well at Webster today, had to can the beach idea because of the storms which we have worked around them many times in the last month.

Looking forward to heading down to Ft Lauderdale, Hollywood area.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
glad to hear you're enjoying it down here so far. it's nice to walk into a thread and not read mindless hatred for florida being spat off in all directions. although i think a lot of the whining will subside when the temps start to cool off a bit and everyone gets starry eyed again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida