Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Probably because so many people from Florida are telling every one how great Florida is how nice the weather is, how its nothing short of paradise,how you wont have to endure those northern winters,
Then every one comes down and expects what they've heard only to discover the unrelenting heat and humidity.traffic chaos every where, the benchmark of urban sprawl, few jobs,and much crime. and you wonder why they complain? after they discover the dream they've been told of is nothing like the reality.
You forgot when the snowbirds get here for 5 months they hog up the roads, drive 20 in a 45, pull out in front of you because they have no idea how to drive, fill up the restaurants(a good thing for the restaurants though), make a normal 10 minute trip to Publix become a 45 minute trip and create an obstacle course in the parking lots.

Remember... Some of the FL pushers are also RE agents... They have to get people here, at any cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yep. Yet they reenact it. Constantly. Remember Sweet Home Alabama? My guess is they're hoping that one of these days they'll win.

YouTube - ‪Sweet home alabama‬‏
Ever been to Northern Vermont or New Hampshire? Civil War reenactments are practically an alternative lifestyle. Personally, I think the whole thing is whack, but, to each his own.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:13 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy2 View Post
Ever been to Northern Vermont or New Hampshire? Civil War reenactments are practically an alternative lifestyle. Personally, I think the whole thing is whack, but, to each his own.
A friend of mine's grandfather when he was alive used to dress up and do those reenactment things too... It's more predominant in the sought though.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
shoot, our internet just crashed... wah... yeah. I love the Californians, very diverse, very tolerant of others...
That's what makes California such a great place to live or visit... nice people there! Plus it's beautiful! You're so lucky to live in CA..
I wouldn't mind living in CA.. except i hear it's expensive to live in.
Had tons of friends from CA when we live Hawaii... Californians are great people!

but it's not true that people up north don't like southerners.. unless they're bigots... they might find their accent interesting or "different", but there's not even a fraction of the prejudice against southerners up north, that there is down in the DEEP south against people from up north by MANY southerners.
What's up with that anyway? It's been over 100 years since the Civil War was fought! Prejudice is a sad thing, in many ways... well, so is hatred..
It's like many many southerners have instilled in their children to dislike northerners just because they were born up north. You have no control over where you are born!
Many northerners were not even in the is country when the Civil War was even fought, so this attitude makes no sense to me, to start with.
If your family didn't come to the US until the early 1900s, and you were born up north, then WHY should a southerner hate you, simply because you were born up north, to start with?

You played no part in what happened to the south in the civil war!
I think the internet age and real ugly politics in recent years plays into this. I get the biggest chuckle out of FOX news and how it portrays places like Boulder, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago and the entire state of Vermont.. If I'd never been to those places I'd almost believe them.. Many from the coastal blue areas have never spent much time in Dallas, Austin or Houston when making blanket statements about Texas. As to the south and perceptions it is more rural versus urban too that is the difference at least to me.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Taking Fox news seriously is like taking whats printed in the National Enquirer seriously, its all satire and fabrication and meant for entertainment rather than true news.I find their news channel hilarious at the dumb stuff they come up with,i really like their conspiracy theories,Going to miss Mr psycho Glen Beck.
Unfortunately many take this source of entertainment seriously and kinda miss the whole point. its not about news its about money.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:45 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
Heck yes-I forgot about Triumph-the singer sounded like a poor man's Getty Lee
Geddy Lee is Canadian.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,964 times
Quote:
Taking Fox news seriously is like taking whats printed in the National Enquirer seriously, its all satire and fabrication and meant for entertainment rather than true news.I find their news channel hilarious at the dumb stuff they come up with,i really like their conspiracy theories,Going to miss Mr psycho Glen Beck.
Unfortunately many take this source of entertainment seriously and kinda miss the whole point. its not about news its about money.
Trust me, I'd go with Fox News over PMSNBC any day of the week, with old Keith Olbergirrl and Rachel Madcow. Ooops, they canned Keith, didn't they. I guess he didn't meet their high journalistic standards --LMAO!!! Please, that network is a joke.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
You stick with your silly Fox channel and i'll stick with BBC,
Didnt fox just can one of their big guns Glenn Beck? guess he didnt live up to Fox's journalistic standards.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy2 View Post
Why yes, I have. I'm a native New Englander and lived there for 33 years. The North has nothing on The South when it comes to reenactments. But I find it endearing and the post was intended in the same spirit.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Probably because so many people from Florida are telling every one how great Florida is how nice the weather is, how its nothing short of paradise,how you wont have to endure those northern winters,
Then every one comes down and expects what they've heard only to discover the unrelenting heat and humidity.traffic chaos every where, the benchmark of urban sprawl, few jobs,and much crime. and you wonder why they complain? after they discover the dream they've been told of is nothing like the reality.
My favorite was the woman from New York City that was hell-bent on moving to Florida. Some people tried to give her well-rounded advice but some painted only a perfect picture. She only lasted a few months but some of her final parting words were "You people told me my husband would have no problem finding a job!"

Of course most people come on CD intent on moving to wherever and are only looking for validation. They have selective reading skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida