Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 AM

26,817 posts, read 43,286,237 times

Advertisements

They're calling for average speeds of 68 mph....not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 PM

126 posts, read 708,265 times
No, not so bad.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 PM

114 posts, read 278,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
So he rejected the $2.4 billion fed money for the project that would carry 21,250 daily passengers, but will have the state pay more than a half-billion dollars for a project that will carry 4,300 weekday passengers.

Oh, wait. His business buddies liked plan two.

Dopey me.

EXACTLY...how does Scott explain that one? my guess is he will refuse to answer that obvious conflict of reasoning... in addition to voting him out in 2012 Florida needs to demand the right to recall politicians...

Old 07-03-2011, 01:11 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,288,232 times
As is probably already apparent by my previous post I am a rail transit fan and no fan of Rick Scott. That being said, I will rack it up to good ol politics as usual. I think both of these projects were necessary and would have succeeded. However the HSR was Obama's train and heaven forbid the Prez's project succeed in FL during Rick Scott's watch. Sunrail on the other hand had firm backing from many Dems AND GOP's. Additionally, many business, including the two biggest healthcare systems in Central Florida, supported Sunrail.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,033,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
As is probably already apparent by my previous post I am a rail transit fan and no fan of Rick Scott. That being said, I will rack it up to good ol politics as usual. I think both of these projects were necessary and would have succeeded. However the HSR was Obama's train and heaven forbid the Prez's project succeed in FL during Rick Scott's watch. Sunrail on the other hand had firm backing from many Dems AND GOP's. Additionally, many business, including the two biggest healthcare systems in Central Florida, supported Sunrail.
What have we come to when a politician will hurt his constituents - his state - to make a point? And what have we come to when his supporters can't see it, just party lines and hate?

Like I said, plenty of other Obama haters took the checks, got a pic in the local paper and turned it into their idea.

Scott just seems ignorant, mean and pompous.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,262,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Scott just seems ignorant, mean and pompous.
Definitely. I know it's a trivial cost compared to a lot of his schemes, but I just can't get over him wasting money on new signs at the state line. Don't get me started on how he refuses to use email in order to circumvent the Sunshine Law.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,175,392 times
Im Excited for Sunrail. It would be pretty cool if Polk-Hillsborough-Could work a commuterline from Tampa and Lakeland. Then there could almost be an entire rail link from Orlando to Tampa NOT AMTRAK. Next step would be to extend SUn Rail to Winter Heaven. **** Why not? Poincianna is out there right near it

Old 02-01-2012, 10:25 PM

704 posts, read 1,271,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Im Excited for Sunrail. It would be pretty cool if Polk-Hillsborough-Could work a commuterline from Tampa and Lakeland. Then there could almost be an entire rail link from Orlando to Tampa NOT AMTRAK. Next step would be to extend SUn Rail to Winter Heaven. **** Why not? Poincianna is out there right near it
Nice dream. Would love to see it happen but it won't. Several things would have to happen first:

* Double-tracking from Tampa to Lakeland.
* Replacement corridor for all the anticipated traffic through Lakeland all the way to Diamond jct in Auburndale. Remember, CSX is shifting day time traffic from the Orlando area through Lakeland.
* Double-track from Diamond jct in Auburndale to Winter Haven.
* Diamond jct needs to be upgraded to increase speeds of trains entering/leaving the area.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,175,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Nice dream. Would love to see it happen but it won't. Several things would have to happen first:

* Double-tracking from Tampa to Lakeland.
* Replacement corridor for all the anticipated traffic through Lakeland all the way to Diamond jct in Auburndale. Remember, CSX is shifting day time traffic from the Orlando area through Lakeland.
* Double-track from Diamond jct in Auburndale to Winter Haven.
* Diamond jct needs to be upgraded to increase speeds of trains entering/leaving the area.

it will happen I think, just not now, no time near. Maybe 15 years from now.
I dont think Lakeland likes the re-routing though.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:55 AM

613 posts, read 756,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
EXACTLY...how does Scott explain that one? my guess is he will refuse to answer that obvious conflict of reasoning... in addition to voting him out in 2012 Florida needs to demand the right to recall politicians...
Simple, one plan gave him cash the other did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida