Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:36 PM

26 posts, read 203,958 times

Advertisements

I must say you guys are rather flip about how many hours people HAVE to work to support themselves.
Sure, in the perfect world no one would have to work so many hours that it's hard to make time for family things. But - so many people today have no choice but to work longer hours and more jobs - not for fancy extras - but just to keep up.
Could we have a little understanding and even sympathy for these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 04:45 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Move View Post
I must say you guys are rather flip about how many hours people HAVE to work to support themselves.
Sure, in the perfect world no one would have to work so many hours that it's hard to make time for family things. But - so many people today have no choice but to work longer hours and more jobs - not for fancy extras - but just to keep up.
Could we have a little understanding and even sympathy for these people.
That is not the point, over time can not be depended on, many companies don't want employees working over time as long as they have an available work force. 70 hours a week is ridiculous, I can't imagine any employer who would have workers work that as a standard practice.

No employee working those many hours can be productive, many of the hours would just be a waste, It makes zero sense. Why would you pay a dead tired employee double time when you can have a fresh productive employee at straight time. If someone works two jobs that has nothing to do with overtime.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 PM

58 posts, read 416,796 times
Default Florida Wages

Someone moved from CA. to FL. without knowing exactly what wages they would be going to receive, and only find out when the check is delivered that it is less than expected.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:23 PM

34 posts, read 346,331 times
I dont think I made myself clear.... my husband doesnt actually work 70 hours a week .... all the guys that came to Florida from California worked that much. My husband is a manager so he doesnt put as much time as the crews do. And his schedule works out just fine for us. 10-12 hour days..... and he gets home around 2:30 pm so we do have family time. Over in Florida though he wanted me to stay home and finish my degree and have more kids. So he wanted to work the double time.

Geesh, theres so much negativity on this board.

thanks for those who did help.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:31 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissairene View Post
I dont think I made myself clear.... my husband doesnt actually work 70 hours a week .... all the guys that came to Florida from California worked that much. My husband is a manager so he doesnt put as much time as the crews do. And his schedule works out just fine for us. 10-12 hour days..... and he gets home around 2:30 pm so we do have family time. Over in Florida though he wanted me to stay home and finish my degree and have more kids. So he wanted to work the double time.

Geesh, theres so much negativity on this board.

thanks for those who did help.
You are saying your husband manages a crew of workers that they make work 70 hours a week?
I will repeat, that is ridiculous. What kind of business is this and who do they employ, migrant workers?

Last edited by macguy; 09-01-2006 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-01-2006, 05:57 PM

34 posts, read 346,331 times
No one is MADE to work 70. They all have choices. Anything over 40 hours a week is voluntary. Some people have to work those hours to pay bills. And no, they arent migrant workers! And no, they dont get paid minimum wage. They all make pretty good money.

I dont know why i am explaining myself to you!

Old 09-01-2006, 06:20 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarissairene View Post
Question....

Here in California my huband gets paid 40 hour at regular rate then anything over that they pay him time and a half and then he gets double time for I think anything over 50 hours. I cant remember but I know he gets paid double time also.

He just got his first check in Florida and it was way lower then we expected. They only paid him for overtime and time and a half.

Does anyone know the laws in Florida for that? Do they not have time and a half?

Thanks for any help.

-Clarissa
All,

We are off the original question, reply #4 is right on track.

Thank you.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:25 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,786 times
I've gotten double time working on a holiday,It's not a requirement it just depends if the company is willing to do it.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:39 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Y-Move, I agree with you totally. There were many times in our lives that we had to work overtime in order to pay the bills. It is rough and it's nice to know that a lot of people don't have to do that in order to make ends meet.

Claris, it appears that Fla. has a lot of the same wages and rules that So. Dak has. I used to work for a factory and we worked a lot of overtime. It was paid at time and a half. Something else you may want to be aware of that can happen~if you don't actually work 40 hrs. a week on a certain week and work extra hours, overtime will not be paid unless you actually WORK forty hours first. I know, it sounds confusing the way I stated it. If your husband took two vacation days during one week, he would get 16 hrs. of vacation pay. If his total hours turned out to be 60 hours that week he could be paid as follow~16 hrs. vacation at regular wage, 40 hrs at regular wage, and 4 hours at time and a half.

Old 09-02-2006, 08:25 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,729 times
The salary schedules with which I'm familiar pay time and half over 40 hours and double time for holidays. Time and a half over 40 is law under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act and applies to all states. I don't think double time is covered by the law but is offered by individual employers depending on how hard it is for them to get workers to work longer hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: