Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
LOL...at all the insurance companies crying wolf...they are doing just fine...every business has the risk of losing money...except them, because they make it right back by exploding the rate immediately after any loss. quite the scheme

Exactly! The parent company of many of the Florida subsidiaries also rake in record profits year after year, and then cry that they cannot fund their Florida risk pool without rate hikes.

Insurance is an industry that needs MORE government oversight and regulation, not less.

And, as far as Citizens being "underfunded".... what are the honest, real chances of ALL of Citizens' risk exposure being realized at once? And, why is there no re-insurance? Don't forget we also have the Florida Insurance Guaranty Association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
If insurance companies were really concerned about not having enough money to pay claims they wouldn't need to raise rates.... just raise deductibles. I wish my mortgage company would allow me to carry a $7500 deductible and 10% Wind. That would allow my rates to drop tremendously.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen000483 View Post
Cost to insure homes takes off | The News-Press | news-press.com

Pedro Ocasio said his insurance agent warned him to expect a small increase in his homeowners insurance bill this year.

"The small increase was from $1,343 to $2,495," said Ocasio, 74, of Lehigh Acres. "That's not a small increase in any way, but that was the best price they could find."

click the link for more

In flippin Lehigh Acres, which is a whole freakin' county INLAND from the coast?

Thanks Governor Voldemort!!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM

70 posts, read 288,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You're making stuff up there.
Great rebuff beachmouse.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM

114 posts, read 279,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
In flippin Lehigh Acres, which is a whole freakin' county INLAND from the coast?

Thanks Governor Voldemort!!
yep, same thing happened in Texas where I moved from. I had a new house and insurance double in two years due to the state government getting cozy with the insurance industry.. and i lived in san antonio...3 hours from the coast, not in a 500 year flood plain, south of tornado activity etc..

Old 07-16-2011, 09:35 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
My policy just renewed in June and the cost was about the same. Still $600 + change.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:05 PM

114 posts, read 279,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
My policy just renewed in June and the cost was about the same. Still $600 + change.
where are you located?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Exactly! The parent company of many of the Florida subsidiaries also rake in record profits year after year, and then cry that they cannot fund their Florida risk pool without rate hikes.

Insurance is an industry that needs MORE government oversight and regulation, not less.

And, as far as Citizens being "underfunded".... what are the honest, real chances of ALL of Citizens' risk exposure being realized at once? And, why is there no re-insurance? Don't forget we also have the Florida Insurance Guaranty Association.
I think the more or less argument is the wrong one. More regulation means more expense. I think the real issue is the right regulations. Creating the proper protections, checks and balances.

Looks like Citizens ended 2010 w/ about 4.5bil in net assets. So they seem to be doing alright.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 PM

263 posts, read 889,520 times
Default How the gov influences insurance prices:

to the poster who asked how Rick Scott is causing higher premiums, this article somewhat explains it:

Five reasons that Florida homeowners insurance is still getting more expensive - St. Petersburg Times

Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
If insurance rates continue to grow I think lenders are going to have to relax rules on what coverage is being carried. ie; allow higher deductible, no sink hole insurance required, etc. The day is coming where lenders are going to either have to decide to take over homes because they don't carry the insurance they want them to carry currently. Or accept homeowners carrying higher deductibles and no sink hole.

Frankly, if I was a lender I would accept higher deductibles and if a major loss occurred I would gladly lend money to the homeowner for their deductible. Better than eating the cost of taking back a house, doing minimum maintenance on it and than selling it for a loss.

Or heck, someone needs to create insurance for insurance deductibles. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida