Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Not true. Unless something has changed recently, Florida has a law which prohibits local municipalities from passing cell phone laws.
Well they can and are. I have heard of people pulled over and ticketed for talking on their cell phones. Now when I go through this Village I put my phone on speaker and hold it below the windows. Now I know even if I have the phone on hands free I am still distracted, I have two hands on the wheel though.

Advisory Legal Opinion - Municipal regulation of cellular phones while driving
http://www.cellphonedriving.com/florida-laws.html (broken link)

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-26-2011 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apple View Post
I know Florida is not the only state where cell phone is allowed while driving - but I get annoyed when I see drivers talk on their cell phones and text message while driving everywhere, even in front of the police.
No wonder why there are car accidents everywhere, and people don't concentrate because of that damn cell phone.

I can't wait for Florida to pass a law like many other states including California, New York, New Jersey etc.
No thanks. CA, NY and NJ have passed plenty of nutty laws telling you what you can do, where you can do it and when you can do it. And they tax the hell out of you when you aren't doing anything

If anything, we need a strong court system so that people who are careless are held accountable with lawsuits and jail time.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Then pull over. And why do you always need to be connected and why would you want to?
I agree. I cannot talk and stay focused on the road and other drivers....it is impossible no matter what the cowboys say. I can't tell you the number of times I am sitting at a red light, it changes and someone ahead, on the phone, is zoned out. Even when people blow the horn, they still act like zombies....since there are many more people on the roads, it is scary to have someone in a 6000 lb missile only half aware of what they are doing.

When I am on the road and have to use my phone, I pull over, period.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM

55 posts, read 152,317 times
Again, I'll take my chances in Florida behind a business person on their cell phone on a blue tooth, over a blue haired old lady peeking "through" the steering wheel like a mouse peekIng out of a bush.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parothead View Post
Again, I'll take my chances in Florida behind a business person on their cell phone on a blue tooth, over a blue haired old lady peeking "through" the steering wheel like a mouse peekIng out of a bush.
I wouldn't. It's a no-win situation either way.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 AM

872 posts, read 1,713,288 times
Florida will never pass a law that makes sense but then people should not be talking and texting. It is nearly as dangerous as driving drunk. Talking on a cell phone is FAR more dangerous than eating a snack while driving. While talking your mind is preoccupied with the conversation and picturing more images. This is not at all the case when you are eating. I still cannot believe one would equate the two.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM

872 posts, read 1,713,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parothead View Post
How about not taking your chances on either?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Talking on a blue tooth headset or a speaker is no different than talking to a passenger there in the car. It takes no more thought and is no more distracting because it is the same thing. No one is calling for a ban on passengers or conversations with passengers while driving so why go after cellular use of this type? I don't know if any research has been done but I have no doubt that it is the physical holding of the phone to your ear and mouth that is distracting because you are doing three physical actions at once (positioning the phone, driving, and conversing) instead of two and, I believe, most people can handle two readily but more than that begins to take a toll on one's ability to dedicate "sufficient mental resources" to all activities.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM

95 posts, read 196,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
No thanks. CA, NY and NJ have passed plenty of nutty laws telling you what you can do, where you can do it and when you can do it. And they tax the hell out of you when you aren't doing anything

If anything, we need a strong court system so that people who are careless are held accountable with lawsuits and jail time.
That's why CA, NY and NJ residents are more educated and better than states, like Florida, with no laws. FL is very laid back with everything - but people complain why there are accidents and crap drivers everywhere

Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Florida will never pass a law that makes sense but then people should not be talking and texting. It is nearly as dangerous as driving drunk. Talking on a cell phone is FAR more dangerous than eating a snack while driving. While talking your mind is preoccupied with the conversation and picturing more images. This is not at all the case when you are eating. I still cannot believe one would equate the two.
So should we ban talking to passengers while driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: