Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:26 AM

95 posts, read 196,721 times

Advertisements

Being from the Northeast, and even having cousins from California saying that grocery food is much more expensive in Florida than CA and N.E.

Why is that? Florida have sub-/tropical weather and should be growing almost everything year-round. Northeast have cold winters, so nothing grows there half of the year - yet grocery food is still cheaper than FL.

I went to every major and local grocery store, including costco and everywhere it's expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 01:29 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apple View Post
Being from the Northeast, and even having cousins from California saying that grocery food is much more expensive in Florida than CA and N.E.

Why is that? Florida have sub-/tropical weather and should be growing almost everything year-round. Northeast have cold winters, so nothing grows there half of the year - yet grocery food is still cheaper than FL.

I went to every major and local grocery store, including costco and everywhere it's expensive!
Your question made me take a look. I was surprised to find that there were 48,000 farms in Florida. Then when I looked at the numbers a little closer only 1 in 10 has an annual sales of $100,000 or more. That means 9 out of 10 don't even make enough money to take care of a family. In other words, farming is not something very many people would pick as a business at least in Florida.

This leaves it to the large industrial farms to really feed this country, many not even in the US. Since Florida, other then citrus, trucks it in, I guess it cost more. South Florida is like living on an island we are so far from the rest of the country. Maybe there are other factors but this is what jumps out first. Honestly, I am shocked to learn 90% of Florida farmers are pretty much starving.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:42 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Honestly, I am shocked to learn 90% of Florida farmers are pretty much starving.
I think that's pretty common all over the country, though. The giant farm conglomerates have long since replaced the family farm.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
It has more to do with the fact that Florida residents are just now figuring out the Buy Local concept. Floridians have been slow to embrace farmers markets as evidenced by the supposed versions in existence now which consist primarily of sketchy people selling boxes of stickered produce they picked up at the wholesale distribution center, along with an assortment of non-food items. Which leads one to wonder, how can one call it a farmers market if there aren't any farmers...and more importantly why hasn't anyone noticed???Of note to FL residents, if a "farmer" at a farmers market is selling tomatoes for instance that all look identical and all have a sticker attached (Mexican most likely), they're not local. Real farmers cannot compete at area "farmers markets" with the sketchy resellers who underprice farmers because they're not dealing with any overhead. Most other states have managed to figure out the farmers market concept and I hope sooner than later Florida will as well. Bottom line if, if they don't grow it or make it, they're not allowed in. Simple concept. Going back to the original question as to why items are more expensive here...lack of competition. Publix is very nearly a monopoly within the traditional grocery store category and as mentioned farmers markets here are a joke so no competition there. The big box stores with grocery offerings have to truck everything in from afar so that adds to the cost to sell. Little wonder it costs whatever they want to charge and the quality sucks. Furthermore farmers here have little to turn to in terms of places to sell so they go with what they can. An example, a large organic berry producer in North Central Florida sold it's entire harvest to Walmart because they had no one else to sell it to, which is kind of like a winery having to sell it's best production in years to Winn Dixie. It's like why bother trying...

Old 07-30-2011, 02:14 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Although we may have alot of farm land here I don't believe we grow much here except for citrus. Much of our produce is brought in from other areas such as California and the mid Atlantic states. Due less rail and port traffic here I think it costs a little more to transplant produce from North Carolina here than it does to places in the northeast. This is just my guesstimate.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Oddly, when we moved from Tennessee to here, our grocery bill dropped significantly.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Oddly, when we moved from Tennessee to here, our grocery bill dropped significantly.
When we used to have a second home in Asheville, NC, I thought groceries there were shockingly high. I don't think they are high at all here. I got plenty of local growers to buy from, too.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:25 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
A lot of our food products come in from other countries through ports on the west coast and northeast. Someone's got to pay to truck it all down here.

That said I don't think that overall our prices are all that out of line with the rest of the country. Some things are more expensive, others are less expensive, it all works out in the end.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:36 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Overall we find most of the items we purchased in the first month here to be a little lower in price then it was in Ohio.

Fruit is much lower, pop is 2.00 cheaper, milk .50 to .75 cheaper, meat is cheaper for sure. The only thing I see that might be slightly higher is cleaning supplies and things like that.

Food overall is cheaper for me here then it was in Ohio.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:05 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
We grow most of our own produce, fruit, herbs, we have poultry for eggs and goats for cheese, and buy most of our meat from a local organic rancher.
We totally support the "eat local" movement, and are glad that there are quite a few local farmers.
I'm always amazed at how much cheaper things are in MO every time I go home, the eat local movement is alive and well there, there is even an organic wheat farmer in the county I am from, I buy flour from him and ship it back to FL, as it is not available in any of the Whole Foods in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida