Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 04:02 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
After 2 FULL years back up here, I do now know that the cold weather bothers me a lot more than hot. Mother in law has more problems breathing in the cold(COPD). Therefore, the saving has begun and the return is planned. Buying this time, so it's settling last and for all.
Good Luck. You should be much happier in a warmer climate. I 'm looking forward to your future posts.

Last edited by Ken E; 12-29-2014 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Good Luck
Thanks.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:32 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
I think the same idea exist across all states with a coast which is the closer you are the more cooler it gets as i just checked some Cali cities stats. The Pacific Ocean is actually colder than the Atlantic ocean so I think that plays a big part on Coastal California cities being cooler than some cites like Miami. However if you go inland towards San Bernardino then the temps look like a lot hotter then some inland Florida cities because we don't landscapes such as deserts.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
I think the same idea exist across all states with a coast which is the closer you are the more cooler it gets as i just checked some Cali cities stats. The Pacific Ocean is actually colder than the Atlantic ocean so I think that plays a big part on Coastal California cities being cooler than some cites like Miami. However if you go inland towards San Bernardino then the temps look like a lot hotter then some inland Florida cities because we don't landscapes such as deserts.
First of all, I am not sure what you are trying to say at the end of this sentence (see underlined part).

Don't be misled by higher temps in inland places like San Bernardino. As noted earlier in this thread, it is the "heat index" that matters. The heat index combines air temps and relative humidity to reveal how the weather actually feels. And on this front there is no contest. San Bernardino is much more comfortable in summer than Tampa (which is far closer to the coast than S.B.).

Heat index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the OP showed in the first post of this thread, in Tampa in August the average daily high is 90 and the low is 75, with high humidity.

San Bernardino has an average Aug. high of 97 and a low of 64 with low humidity. The evenings are especially pleasant with lows in the low to mid 60's. In Tampa you never get relief in the summer.

Most of California has a Mediterranean climate which many east coast people don't seem to understand. It is not found in many places in the world (think of the South of France or parts of Australia for example).

Mediterranean climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

South Florida winters are great. I love the warm ocean waters in Fla. (panhandle in summer) and Miami/keys all year. But summer heat in Florida is simply oppressive.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:50 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaboy View Post
I'm sick of all the bull from people living in Florida exaggerating ten-fold how hot it is, and I'm sick of people visiting Florida claiming the weather is perfect. Both are lies. Don't believe people who give you a one-sided answer on the topic.
Florida is a very large state. Right now it is 70 where I lived a few days ago in SWFL and it's 54 here (I'm in a hotel off of I-10 heading west) It's already 79 in Miami and 80 in Key West. In Jacksonville it's 65.

One thing I notice is the the number of sunny days in some areas is a lot higher. The humidity can also vary. However, I do agree with you that "both are lies." No place is perfect. Of course it's hot here in the summer, but it's tolerable. From Nov to March the weather is usually very pleasant, which is why so many snowbirds drive from all over the country (and Canada) to Florida. Yesterday I met someone from Alaska! I cannot imagine driving so far, but they had one of those large, luxury motorhomes.

Anyway, how someone feels about the weather is very subjective. I am sitting in DeFuniak Springs now in a sweater, jeans and a hoodie. It's beginning to warm up, but 50-something feels cold to me, especially when the humidity is 96%. Yet people are walking around in tee shirts, shorts and sandals.

My beef about the weather in SWFL is that it's always sunny & hot, with some periods of clouds & rain and an occasional cold front. I'd like more variety, like watching the leaves change in the fall. However, FL weather really isn't that bad when you consider all the disasters hitting other sections of the U.S. Again, it depends on where you live in FL. For 13 years I lived in Lee County, but I've also lived in Collier, Charlotte and Sarasota counties on the east coast and, for a short time, Indian River (Vero Beach) on the west. I only experienced one very bad storm in 21 years, which was Hurricane Charley, although it didn't cause a lot of damage in Bonita Springs where I lived at that time (2004) Charlotte County got the brunt of it.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:54 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Right now it feels like summer and combined with all the jolly Yankees talking about how wonderful the weather is, it's utter hell. This weather sucks. I guess it isn't enough we have to deal with it during the summer, we have to have it during the winter too.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Right now it feels like summer and combined with all the jolly Yankees talking about how wonderful the weather is, it's utter hell. This weather sucks. I guess it isn't enough we have to deal with it during the summer, we have to have it during the winter too.
For YOU it might be hell - not for me. I love the weather here.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:34 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
i'd like more variety too - and i have to admit, so far this "winter" has kinda sucked. Only a few days of nice cold weather. 81 degrees in late Dec.........not cool.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:10 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
i'd like more variety too - and i have to admit, so far this "winter" has kinda sucked. Only a few days of nice cold weather. 81 degrees in late Dec.........not cool.
Supposed to be 87 degree on Sunday. Ridiculous!

Old 12-31-2014, 03:51 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
First of all, I am not sure what you are trying to say at the end of this sentence (see underlined part).

Don't be misled by higher temps in inland places like San Bernardino. As noted earlier in this thread, it is the "heat index" that matters. The heat index combines air temps and relative humidity to reveal how the weather actually feels. And on this front there is no contest. San Bernardino is much more comfortable in summer than Tampa (which is far closer to the coast than S.B.).

Heat index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the OP showed in the first post of this thread, in Tampa in August the average daily high is 90 and the low is 75, with high humidity.

San Bernardino has an average Aug. high of 97 and a low of 64 with low humidity. The evenings are especially pleasant with lows in the low to mid 60's. In Tampa you never get relief in the summer.

Most of California has a Mediterranean climate which many east coast people don't seem to understand. It is not found in many places in the world (think of the South of France or parts of Australia for example).

Mediterranean climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

South Florida winters are great. I love the warm ocean waters in Fla. (panhandle in summer) and Miami/keys all year. But summer heat in Florida is simply oppressive.
My point is that weather sometimes varies here. This summer was a very rainy one compared to years past so its not always sunny all the time. I don't live in Cali so I cant personally judge the weather their however the humidity actually keeps the temps from ever reaching 100 degrees so in a way I guess were kind of lucky but like was said earlier its all relative to your own likes and dislikes. Also I've heard people from other states say their states can get just as hot and maybe even more so don't think super hot weather is exclusive to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida