Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 05:32 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
i'd like more variety too - and i have to admit, so far this "winter" has kinda sucked. Only a few days of nice cold weather. 81 degrees in late Dec.........not cool.
It's been 55 up here, not normal. So I am sure it's pretty warm there. Cold is going to get there, high of 25 today and most of the week, night temps 10-15. Yay(sarcasm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 07:38 AM

10,180 posts, read 6,226,409 times
We drive every year back to NY for Christmas. Came back Sunday and the traffic was crazy. Stop and go on I-95 with huge motorhomes all over. Never seen so many in the entire 7 years we have been doing this. Cheap gas prices causing more people to drive? Quebec and Maine to Florida? Gas in many places in the Carolinas was $1.99/gallon. How long ago have we seen that?

Anyway, it was pushing 60 in NY with rain. People were all complaining about the hot weather in NY. My older daughter did also. She moved out of Florida after 4 months. I told her stop complaining. You could still be living in Florida. lol Be thankful for what you have. 60 and rain is still a lot better than 85 and sunshine. She ALWAYS talks about the ONE Christmas the entire family spent in Naples and how she was wearing shorts and SWEATING putting up the outside lights. "No, no, NOOOOO"

BTW, the night temps in NY still went down into the 40s. I slept with the windows open but wearing my flannels under down comforter. Best sleep I have all year. Checking out flights for February back up. Need my fix of real winter weather as much as possible.

Two more years until retirement and we are gone.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:27 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We drive every year back to NY for Christmas. Came back Sunday and the traffic was crazy. Stop and go on I-95 with huge motorhomes all over. Never seen so many in the entire 7 years we have been doing this. Cheap gas prices causing more people to drive? Quebec and Maine to Florida? Gas in many places in the Carolinas was $1.99/gallon. How long ago have we seen that?

Anyway, it was pushing 60 in NY with rain. People were all complaining about the hot weather in NY. My older daughter did also. She moved out of Florida after 4 months. I told her stop complaining. You could still be living in Florida. lol Be thankful for what you have. 60 and rain is still a lot better than 85 and sunshine. She ALWAYS talks about the ONE Christmas the entire family spent in Naples and how she was wearing shorts and SWEATING putting up the outside lights. "No, no, NOOOOO"

BTW, the night temps in NY still went down into the 40s. I slept with the windows open but wearing my flannels under down comforter. Best sleep I have all year. Checking out flights for February back up. Need my fix of real winter weather as much as possible.

Two more years until retirement and we are gone.

Proves the point. Everybody is different. Coke for me Pepsi for you. What I would worry about
is the COL. Being on a fixed income with a always increasing COL can be tough. Also, slipping on the ice while heading to the grocery store when it is 20 degrees and breaking a hip could be a problem.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:56 PM

698 posts, read 954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Supposed to be 87 degree on Sunday. Ridiculous!
Ugh!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:12 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,226,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Supposed to be 87 degree on Sunday. Ridiculous!
Don't look at short term forecasts. Search the 10 day extended forecasts for COLD FRONTS. Sorry, nothing in the next 10 days. I have Naples weather up but also Jacksonville, which I shouldn't do. I want to scream when I see it is even 25 degrees cooler there in Florida than here in Florida.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:10 PM

35,322 posts, read 20,685,064 times
87 sun but 40 by next fri

Old 01-02-2015, 10:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
The temperature has been fluctuating from very cold to unseasonably warm in many areas, not just Florida. I am currently in Alabama enjoying a beautiful, breezy evening. It was 70 today and is currently 64. (about the same as Pensacola FL) I just took a nice stroll around the community, but by next Thursday evening it's supposed to drop below freezing. So it's warmer than normal today in many areas of the Southeast. Actually, I saw something on TV about Anchorage, Alaska hitting the highest temperature on record this week.

Regarding FL temps, there's usually about a 10 to 15 degree drop from Naples (south I-75) or Miami (south I-95) to Jacksonville (north I-95 & east I-10) and Pensacola (west I-10) but it depends on the direction of air currents. Sometimes there's very little difference in the temperature, although the southern section of the state from Miami to Key West is usually the warmest.

It might sound strange to some people, but one reason I like cooler weather is because I've been longing to wear a heavy sweater or nice blazer and 99% of the year in SWFL it's too hot.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:32 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
The temps have been fluctuating like crazy up here in MA too. Last winter at this time it was insane cold, and didn't quit until March. High of 55 tomorrow, and 11 by Friday.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,010,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post
Today in Nebraska it was 100 with a 115 heat index. Very humid as well. In oct when I visit Florida its usually hotter here than there.

People in Florida live in paradise.
Compared to a lot of other places, weather wise yes we do. I dont know why anyone would even consider the S.E. U.S. if they didnt care for heat and humidity.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,825,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Compared to a lot of other places, weather wise yes we do. I dont know why anyone would even consider the S.E. U.S. if they didnt care for heat and humidity.
True, it would be like moving to upstate NY (like Syracuse, Buffalo) and saying "I hate snow." Most people move there for a job, however. Usually people "choose" to relocate or retire in the Southeast because of other factors, but I think the main reasons are cost, mild winters and proximity to family.

As I've said 1,000 times, it doesn't matter if someone lives in Florida, California or Dubai. There are people from all walks of life living all over the world and our experiences can differ dramatically depending on one's health, finances and family. A couple living in a $5 million waterfront estate is going to have an entirely different experience than a family of 8 living in a trailer without a/c. A few months ago there was a brush fire in Estero, an upscale community in SW Florida between Fort Myers and Naples. Its origin was traced to a homeless camp in the woods behind Fountain Lakes. None of the residents had any idea it existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida