Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM

126 posts, read 711,136 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered why there aren't any amusement piers in Florida, with the exception of Daytona, which is less than stellar. I've always thought a roller coaster and some carnival rides on the beach would be awesome! It surprises me that Florida has nothing like this. Anyone have any idea why? I'd really like to see something like that come here one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 PM

84 posts, read 229,307 times
I'm guessing the hurricane insurance would be astronomical.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
I've always wondered why there aren't any amusement piers in Florida, with the exception of Daytona, which is less than stellar. I've always thought a roller coaster and some carnival rides on the beach would be awesome! It surprises me that Florida has nothing like this. Anyone have any idea why? I'd really like to see something like that come here one day.
Hurricanes

Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Yes, hurricanes and stringent building codes.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
Hurricanes and most good beachside property was bought up by developers for residential condos or homes.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:57 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Hurricanes and the fact that most of Florida's beaches were developed later than areas with beach boardwalks, like New Jersey, New York, and California.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The big fishing piers that do get built these days are designed so that the deck surface will pop up and wash away in a bad hurricane. If the planks were more firmly attached to the pier pilings, the storm surge could try to pop everything up like a staple being removed and cause damage to pilings as well as pier deck. And the pilings are the most expensive part of the pier to build.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:06 PM

126 posts, read 711,136 times
Hurricanes was my first thought, but then I thought about Kemah in Texas & there's Myrtle Beach.. I guess they there's no call for that in Florida. I suppose the beaches themselves are a big enough draw.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
You're not going to find pheasant under glass as a Boardwalk menu item!

If you know your Florida history, it was intended for the wealthy as the railroads built luxury hotels and resorts such as the Casa Monica in St Augustine, The Breakers in Palm Beach, Don Cesar in St Pete and Casa Marina in Key West. A railroad fare to Florida then compares to a First Class seat on a transcontinental flight today.

Their interests were racing their fancy (and expensive) motor cars, horse racing, gambling, sports fishing, golfing and yachting.

Boardwalks tended to attract middle and working class families and such were either brought as staff, or became tourists themselves to FL after WWII.

Daytona Beach Boardwalk is a remnant of it's original due to beachfront development, past hurricanes/storms and family businesses that had high costs and the next generation's lack of interest. (I guess it's more of a Promenade Beachfront Park, Bandshell and Shopping Mall now)

Daytona's Boardwalk only managed to survive to date as it catered to the All American family, Spring Breakers, NASCAR Racing Fans who are more interested in a slice of good pizza and ice cream over a seaweed mud bath and salt scrub.

I love walking on the Boardwalk in the evening with the lights from the Ferris Wheel and Amusements and the Fireworks from the Daytona Beach Pier on Summer Saturday nights. It's a magical place to bring your kids/grandkids for beach time memories.

Even tacky can have its own charms too.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 08-06-2011 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida