Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:03 AM

647 posts, read 2,076,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Like us northerners have something to do with you not skipping rocks and shooting birds? Please... maybe you just grew up? maybe that's the reason.

I went to school in Cortland, NY (upstate). It was a small city. You talk about how you used to wave at passerbys and such; what, does this not go on anywhere else besides the south? In Cortland, it was rude of you not to wave, smile, and say hi to someone you were passing on the street.

Have you ever visited NYC? I hear countless people (esp from the south) talk about how generous NYers are; saying they expected us to be rude, but were actually the nicest people they had come across in most places they'd visit. I see random NYers all over the city going out of their way and asking tourists if they need directions.

Uh huh, generosity is only in the south...

I'm not slamming the south, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that a lot of this stuff goes on everywhere else.
Rachael84,
Naw, I didn't take your comment as a slam and I'm glad to see that you're not rude. I was just answering the thread topic somewhat in jest and somewhat serious because (doesn't come across well on message boards), unfortunately, from my experiences, many NY'ers and NJ'ers have come south and acted like total jack-asses, and on the other side of the coin, many are fine and make the move with little trouble. A guy I work with is from Boston and he is one of the most quality people I've ever met.

There is some truth, though, to the yankee stereotypes, so don't take what I say personally. If you are not rude and are respectful and want to move from Queens down to the deep south, then just say, "*********, heatwave, I know I'm not like you say" and go on with it.

But, if you come down south, don't complain to the cops about noise when I'm out shooting my shotgun out back....

Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
I know, just saying that not all of us are bad. It's like that all over the country; some people fit the negative stereotype, some don't :-)

Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,283,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Exactly. Also not enough foul language, smog or hypodermic syringe needles. But that's just a guess.

Plenty of foul language, desperate poverty, crystal meth use, illegal immigration, spousal and child abuse going on in Northern Florida.

Trust me, I spent my last year of law school providing pro bono family law services to these people, so just like everywhere else in the country (and state), the pretty facade often hides stark reality.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
"Thanks for ruining what was once a beautiful state. As for the Civil War, as I told that other guy, that's not what this is about."

Oh...that is just a load of BS. I supposed we ruined what was once an uncultured backwater as well. Florida is and always was a corrupt place...the locals loved Katherine Harris and Jeb Bush. Exhibit A and B. Not too mention the panhandles embracing of the Moron In Chief. Spare us your xenophobia...
And I voted for neither.

But thanks for reaffirming my opinions of Yankees. I figured one of you would.

Better check your mirror for xenophobia. And BTW, I live in one of those blue dots in the Panhandle, so your assumption about my politics, and many thousands of others who live here, is pretty much invalid.

Last edited by Strel; 08-14-2007 at 12:32 PM..

Old 08-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
ok what areas in the northeast are relatively unaffected by immigration ? Just out of curiosity to see if you can back that statement or if it's just pablum puking rhetoric. Large areas in the northeast have the same immigration problems the rest of the country does. By all means please list the areas that do not. I won't even entertain the ignorance of the OP.
Evidently you missed my point - I was referring to immigration to Florida by people from the Northeast.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:26 PM

553 posts, read 1,929,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Evidently you missed my point - I was referring to immigration to Florida by people from the Northeast.
Apparently so did you.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbreeze View Post
Bronx born, Queens/Flushing/LI raised, moved here as a "young'n".

Speaking froma carpetbaggers point of view, ;-) I rather enjoy the genteel southern ways.

Besides, the south got her revenge from the humiliation of Lee's surrender, did they not? Booth put an extra hole in someone's head...

YET, the North still prevailed, and slavery was abolished, and eventually, Jim Crow was overturned, and the KKK had to be relegated to the shadows.. along w. the skinheads.. but they're still out there.. they're still out there.. Ready to pounce w. the "militia's".

And we openminded well armed people, will be ready.

Peace!

I'm not about to launch into my lecture about how the war was about economics first and slavery second...but....well I won't.

Like I said, this isn't about the Civil War, no matter how much certain people seem to want it to be.

It's about overdevelopment and a culturually imperialist attitude, as demonstrated by the gentleman from CT I quoted above.

Based on your location, I can see which Florida you prefer. I wish they all thought they way you do.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Apparently so did you.
It's was clear to me he was referring to immigration in general.

If you have another interpretation of his/her post, let's see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida