Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:59 PM

31 posts, read 119,255 times

Advertisements

I have been on several road trips recently and I have noticed many U-haul's, and other big moving companies headed out of the state, not just a few in one 3 hour return trip I counted over 60 trucks and this was only on highway 75, can anyone give me an idea of where most of these people are moving to?. Most U-Hauls had cars attached, which lead me to believe it is a permanent move. Does anyone know why and mainly where they are headed (What state)?

Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
We will be renting a 24ft UHaul in October to head back to Ohio. UHaul is cheaper than Budget, also

Grass is NOT always greener on the other side; but OH is where all my family is & where we can get a 2 story w/ attic & basement for $200k & where our children will grow up experiencing all the seasons & holidays/bdays with family. My husband's pay will be about the same pay as here in SWFL. Taxes in the county we are moving to are about $1500 more a year than here but we do not have to pay so much in HOI.

Not necessarily moving due to COST of living but rather QUALITY for our needs & wants.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 PM

31 posts, read 119,255 times
I guess you are another one that will leave Florida along with all the U-haul's I saw on the expressway. About 3 weeks ago, I also saw many on the I-95 when I was coming from Georgia. I guess many have chosen to leave all of Florida, I thought it was mainly S.Florida with the main problem.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,383,686 times
You'll find a lot of folks heading to Tennessee (just go to that forum to get an idea). Speaking of U-Haul, we investigated it, but found ABF (U-Pack) a far better and less expensive option. There are many ways to move, and it pays to investigate them all. For our light and delicate stuff, I bought a 6 x 12 enclosed cargo trailer and made a number of trips. For me, it cost a little more than renting, but I ended up with a trailer for use in the future, or to sell. YMMV

Old 08-13-2007, 06:09 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,134 times
It's either a figment of your imagination or all of those trucks were just going back to thier point of origin for a second load of stuff to bring to FLORIDA!!!

To suggest anyone is leaving would be just looney...

Edit: Oh that is unless you're going to also claim that you saw three times as many Uhauls entering Florida...

Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
Most are moving to Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. I know of 5 families that have left this year already. And a few more have their homes on the market to leave for the Carolinas.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM

73 posts, read 389,377 times
Oh boy, more room for me.....

Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM

200 posts, read 683,771 times
Also many are college kids moving up north. Being a previous college student I did it that way. Not a huge truck - but a huge trailer. Had to make room for all my ALBUMS!! Yes ALBUMS!! HA!!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,309 times
The only problem with UPack is they wouldn't deliver directly to our home because it was not a large city. They told us they would drop it off in Charlotte, NC and we would have to pick it up. And, it would take them 3-4 days and our stuff would be other peoples stuff. We will go with U-Haul when we pack up in about a month. Something good to know about UHaul, we got quoted twice as much to dropoff our truck in our small town, than deliver it to the dropoff location in Charlotte. To save some money, that's what we are going to do...

Oh yeah, and to keep this post on topic... : )
I think I've seen just as moving trucks coming to FL as I've seen leaving the state. I used to see a lot more, but that's when the influx of homes were being built 2-3 years ago. Everyone who bought homes then has decided to stick around for the long haul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You'll find a lot of folks heading to Tennessee (just go to that forum to get an idea). Speaking of U-Haul, we investigated it, but found ABF (U-Pack) a far better and less expensive option. There are many ways to move, and it pays to investigate them all. For our light and delicate stuff, I bought a 6 x 12 enclosed cargo trailer and made a number of trips. For me, it cost a little more than renting, but I ended up with a trailer for use in the future, or to sell. YMMV

Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM

458 posts, read 598,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
The only problem with UPack is they wouldn't deliver directly to our home because it was not a large city. They told us they would drop it off in Charlotte, NC and we would have to pick it up. And, it would take them 3-4 days and our stuff would be other peoples stuff. We will go with U-Haul when we pack up in about a month. Something good to know about UHaul, we got quoted twice as much to dropoff our truck in our small town, than deliver it to the dropoff location in Charlotte. To save some money, that's what we are going to do...

Oh yeah, and to keep this post on topic... : )
I think I've seen just as moving trucks coming to FL as I've seen leaving the state. I used to see a lot more, but that's when the influx of homes were being built 2-3 years ago. Everyone who bought homes then has decided to stick around for the long haul.
Everyone who bought homes 2-3 years ago has decided to stick around for the long haul??? May I ask what you base that statement on?

1. An estimated 40% of the homes purchased in that period were purchased by flippers.

2. There is a record inventory of homes for sale in Florida.

3. Moving company rates are cheaper coming to Florida than leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida