Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Revisiting impounding of uninsured vehicles. Look at it this way: Those who drive without insurance in most cases simply can't afford it. Those people are not driving newer vehicles. If they are unfortunate enough to get stopped and the officer decides to impound the car, the costs of the impound fees would leave the owner with no choice but to abandon the vehicle. Buy another junker,
make it road worthy and drive on! Its cheaper that way. Then they have to wait until they happen to get stopped again and the cycle repeats.

Now the jurisdiction has lots full of cars they can't sell for the value of the impound fees.

Impounding for no insurance a smart move? I don't think so.
Funny they all seem to have money for cigarettes though.

You are so clueless as to how it works in other places, they get their car back fairly quickly after they purchase insurance.

So to you use your logic if you can't afford something find a way to do it illegally.

I can't afford steak at Publix so just steal it.

And if they're getting stopped by the police, it is because they're doing something wrong in the first place.

Many here drive without insurance because they know they can get away with it. If they thought they could lose their vehicle they would find a way to get some basic coverage.

So all these people in FL(which is one of the top 5 states for uninsured drivers) all these people can't afford car insurance????

Sure there are some who are having a tough time.

But I think it is more like they rather not pay for car insurance then do without cigarettes and alcohol in many cases.

Funny how well it works in other states to get the uninsured off the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 01:24 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Then why does ever state in the union have uninsured motorists on the road if they have such prefect laws that prevent it?

Laws are great for the people who actually abide by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Funny they all seem to have money for cigarettes though.

You are so clueless as to how it works in other places, they get their car back fairly quickly after they purchase insurance.

So to you use your logic if you can't afford something find a way to do it illegally.

I can't afford steak at Publix so just steal it.

And if they're getting stopped by the police, it is because they're doing something wrong in the first place.

Many here drive without insurance because they know they can get away with it. If they thought they could lose their vehicle they would find a way to get some basic coverage.

So all these people in FL(which is one of the top 5 states for uninsured drivers) all these people can't afford car insurance????

Sure there are some who are having a tough time.

But I think it is more like they rather not pay for car insurance then do without cigarettes and alcohol in many cases.

Funny how well it works in other states to get the uninsured off the road.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:35 PM

9 posts, read 15,866 times
I was born a 5th generation Floridian. I am the eldest of 10 kids. NONE of us live there now.
Enough said.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:43 PM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinventingcole View Post
I was born a 5th generation Floridian. I am the eldest of 10 kids. NONE of us live there now.
Enough said.
Yeah, but you're from Miami...I don't blame you for getting out. That place has changed so much from when I was a kid...

Could you imagine going back in time to say, 1976, and kidnapping someone who was about 30 then, and instantly taking them to modern-day Miami? 30 years difference and they would not recognize ANYTHING about their hometown.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:08 PM

23 posts, read 30,903 times
to..hiknapster....thank you for your info...I thought that is what forums are for. My life will not be based on what virtual strangers have to say but it is nice to see how people who live in Fl. feel about their own state not to make decisions for me. I am sure there is no place where everyone is happy and have no problems, except for Heaven .

Old 08-21-2011, 05:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfsh View Post
to..hiknapster....thank you for your info...I thought that is what forums are for. My life will not be based on what virtual strangers have to say but it is nice to see how people who live in Fl. feel about their own state not to make decisions for me. I am sure there is no place where everyone is happy and have no problems, except for Heaven .
But you asked for people to basically validate your move to Florida. You also wanted us to verify things that are not true.

Did you look up unemployment and crime rates? Have you looked for a job? Do you know what the pay is compared to where you live now? Cost of living?

It doesn't sound like you've done any research.

Florida has problems, just like any state, yes, but the truth is you may be jumping from the frying pan into the fire by moving there right now, especially without a job. All I know is our lives got markedly better when we moved out of Florida. Right now, for me and my family, where we live now works better for us due to schools, the economy and a few other things.

Your mileage may vary. Best wishes.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Then why does ever state in the union have uninsured motorists on the road if they have such prefect laws that prevent it?

Laws are great for the people who actually abide by them.
Again you're off base.

"laws are great for the people who actually abide by them"??????

No, laws are on the books for a reason and when they're not followed people who break them are punished.

States that impound cars for uninsured vehicles on the road have less uninsured on the road.

If you know you're car is going to get taken away if your stopped by the police, you either keep yourself insured or you drive very carefully and stay under the radar.

How many of the uninsured drivers in FL have cell phones, cable TV, and Internet service?

But they can't afford car insurance?

If you can afford a cell phone for $50 a month, you can get basic coverage.

It is about priorities.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 PM

9 posts, read 15,866 times
Default Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Yeah, but you're from Miami...I don't blame you for getting out. That place has changed so much from when I was a kid...

Could you imagine going back in time to say, 1976, and kidnapping someone who was about 30 then, and instantly taking them to modern-day Miami? 30 years difference and they would not recognize ANYTHING about their hometown.

Actually, Miami is one of the FEW Florida cities I find bearable LOL. The central part of the state has gone to hell in a handbasket, especially now that Gov. Scott decided to kill funding for the rail project, and the thousands of jobs which would have gone along with it. Orlando is a NIGHTMARE. Tampa/St. Pete is nice, but I'm not a gulf coast kinda guy...

Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM

23 posts, read 30,903 times
Not looking for validation just weighing my options. Won't be moving until next yr. so frying pan is on low. glad you and your family found a place that fits your needs and wants. Thanks again for info..

Old 08-22-2011, 05:43 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
We have been here almost 2 months and have no problems at all.

If you do the research and find a town that fits all your needs you will be fine.

Many good smaller towns to choose from that are safe, friendly, good schools, etc.

So to answer the OPs question. No, it is not as bad as some of the people make it out to be. Especially some of those who DO NOT live here anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida