Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
We like florida!!!! WE LIKE FLORRRRRIIIDDDAAA!
We like other states BUT Florida is great!

The real reason we stay here is FAMILY but I would stay in Alaska(never been there ...bet it's cold) to be with family! Most of my family lives here and to be honest, that is more important then anything in my book. I want my kids(when we have them) to know their grandparents, great grandparents, aunts and uncles.

Also I love Christmas here! the weather is gorgeous and flowers are still STILL BLOOMING! Think our rose bush had a gorgeous bloom last Christmas.

love being able to walk my pup year round and that on that walk all I need is a cup of coffee and Im warm.

Also, we are not rich or anything BUUUT we get along just fine is this beautiful state.
We have great jobs(they are out there), we own a home(or two at the moment), we enjoy life here!
I do think it's overcrowded, but if everyone who hates florida leaves PROBLEM SOLVED!

Also, what about Amelia Island, St Augustine, the keys, etc. All beautiful places!!!

Mr. Tux I THINK YOUR AWESOME. your comments are fantastic!
Actually no really, the people who like Florida the most are the sleezballs, scumbags and scam artists. Along with the dead beat dads and bums who know Florida doesn't allow them to attach your home no matter how many people you have screwed. Add to that the ones who specialize in defrauding the elderly who are so plentiful here and shoddy builders, and fly-by-night contractors, they all come here because Florida is the ideal place to ply their trade. In other words, Florida is almost designed for the low life. Notice how many people on the run seem to be found in Florida when they are caught. These people are by no means Florida haters, quite the opposite, they love it here. I would be careful what you wish for. Most of the people you refer to who are leaving are not really Florida haters, they are realists looking for a better life.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
We like florida!!!! WE LIKE FLORRRRRIIIDDDAAA!
We like other states BUT Florida is great!
Great place to visit. Didn't like living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120
Also I love Christmas here! the weather is gorgeous and flowers are still STILL BLOOMING! Think our rose bush had a gorgeous bloom last Christmas.
Just a friendly difference of opinion that's all..

To me 80 degrees on XMas day isn't Xmas.... "Let it Snow", "Sleighride", "Winter Wonderland", etc.... They don't make much sense when you live in Florida and don't really set the Christmasie mood very well when you have the A/C on.

Quote:
Also, we are not rich or anything BUUUT we get along just fine is this beautiful state.
We have great jobs(they are out there), we own a home(or two at the moment), we enjoy life here!
ALL depends on when you got in on the market. 2003 or prior and yeah, most who bought or owned a home before then probably are pretty freakin' happy with how things panned out down there....

That's where we fail on this board is in understanding each other's perspectives, WHY they came here in the first place, etc.... I mean how can people keep telling others to GTFO if they are clueless as to why the person was there in the first place???

- You hate it so much leave.

-You like it so much, why the heck would you care what I, or anyone else who didn't like it thinks in the first place???

Back and forth and back and forth...... The real secret is that those who love Florida NEED to have the opposite opinion on here as it would get boring bringing up, "Hey, it's hot and we have beaches here!!!!" for the 20th time. Nah, they like to argue as much as those who dislike the place. Don't let 'em fool ya...

Quote:
I do think it's overcrowded, but if everyone who hates florida leaves PROBLEM SOLVED!
No, because you have a new group of "Florida Fans" just itching to move down to the sub-tropics because they just "Can't take those NE winters anymore" and think that going to the other extreme in Florida is the way to go.......... Just a new bunch of people, some of whom are making the same mistakes as all the half-backs that came before them......

Quote:
Also, what about Amelia Island, St Augustine, the keys, etc. All beautiful places!!!
Always said I could have stayed in Florida had I lived in St Augustine...

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
holy moly Macs back in town!

...are you calling me a sleezeball??? =)
....I'm not wishing for one! Two I never said "all who have come to Florida BE GONE". I said if you don't like it, suck it up and leave(in so many words) ...you on the other had took that very personal. I wasn't attacking you ...we like ya Mac, hope you stay in the sunshine with us! Now do you feel better? We need you here ...dooonn't leeaavvee! ok, I'm sarcastic!

where ya mov'n Mac!

well, off to walk amongst the scum! ahahaha!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
vafury

all I can say is ....ok! =)
and I agree St. Augustine is awesome. I would like to live in Amelia island in the hotel we stayed at, but they said no =(

....how'd you pick your name and what does it mean?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:20 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
vafury

all I can say is ....ok! =)
and I agree St. Augustine is awesome. I would like to live in Amelia island in the hotel we stayed at, but they said no =(

....how'd you pick your name and what does it mean?
You know it's funny...... No one has ever asked me that....

People here see "VA and Fury" and they figure I'm an angry war veteran...

No, it's actually named after my first Fantasy Football team which I named the Virginia Fury. It's much more interesting to let everyone wonder though as the truth is rather boring....

Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:

....I'm not wishing for one! Two I never said "all who have come to Florida BE GONE". I said if you don't like it, suck it up and leave(in so many words) ...you on the other had took that very personal. I wasn't attacking you ...we like ya Mac, hope you stay in the sunshine with us! Now do you feel better? We need you here ...dooonn't leeaavvee! ok, I'm sarcastic!

where ya mov'n Mac!

Building a place up in the panhandle. The deal I have been trying to get on the acreage I am interested in is not going as well as I had hoped. I am going up there again this weekend and decide what the max I am willing to pay is. I really like it so I may have to bite the bullet and come up on my offer. Either way it is $60,000 below the asking from the first time I looked at it. Land is a dime a dozen but sometimes you see something that is a little special. Nice trees, configuration and so on. Will see, but no matter what South Florida will be a distant memory soon.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:

where ya mov'n Mac!

I have to add, I wasn't being funny in any way. I was in the bar business for years and lots of creeps came in my place and it is no accident they end up in south Florida. They love it here. It is also no accident when you get victimized by one. It was not bad luck you ran into one, they are out there looking for you, that is why they are here.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I have to add, I wasn't being funny in any way. I was in the bar business for years and lots of creeps came in my place and it is no accident they end up in south Florida. They love it here. It is also no accident when you get victimized by one. It was not bad luck you ran into one, they are out there looking for you, that is why they are here.
macguy - I know EXACTLY what you are saying about the "creeps" here, and how they are drawn to Florida. I am a native, and my hubby and I discuss this all the time - they are drawn to Florida, and especially to those nice little warm south Florida beach and coastal towns. Also, the larger cities, like Tampa and Orlando. Inland and smaller cities they are far fewer, which is what I like so much about our current locale.

I have said this before, but in my 17 years in Sarasota, the "creep factor" was literally OFF THE CHARTS! Even being raised in Tampa, I never had seen or encountered so many as I did in that town, along with being the victim of several petty crimes. And we lived in an area near downtown, which was also near the Bayfront Park, and there used to be bums lying on every bench there and on the grass. I think it's a bit better now, but still, the point is, the creeps love to come here to prey on the elderly and the tourists. And since a lot of areas of Florida are so transient, they kind of "get lost in the crowd" so to speak.

So yeah, I know what you are saying. I do think you will love it much more in North Florida. I will never, ever, live any further south in Florida than where we live now in Lakeland. It's nice to be living in a safe and friendly area where I can relax. Not saying it's perfect, it does have a "bad side of town" but most of the problems stay in that area.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:02 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
macguy is moving to what i like to call, "floribama."

Old 08-21-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
macguy - I know EXACTLY what you are saying about the "creeps" here, and how they are drawn to Florida. I am a native, and my hubby and I discuss this all the time - they are drawn to Florida, and especially to those nice little warm south Florida beach and coastal towns. Also, the larger cities, like Tampa and Orlando. Inland and smaller cities they are far fewer, which is what I like so much about our current locale.

I have said this before, but in my 17 years in Sarasota, the "creep factor" was literally OFF THE CHARTS! Even being raised in Tampa, I never had seen or encountered so many as I did in that town, along with being the victim of several petty crimes. And we lived in an area near downtown, which was also near the Bayfront Park, and there used to be bums lying on every bench there and on the grass. I think it's a bit better now, but still, the point is, the creeps love to come here to prey on the elderly and the tourists. And since a lot of areas of Florida are so transient, they kind of "get lost in the crowd" so to speak.

So yeah, I know what you are saying. I do think you will love it much more in North Florida. I will never, ever, live any further south in Florida than where we live now in Lakeland. It's nice to be living in a safe and friendly area where I can relax. Not saying it's perfect, it does have a "bad side of town" but most of the problems stay in that area.
It's funny, this is exactly what we are talking about.

Bed maker Craftmatic agrees to pay $130,000 in restitution -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

It is no accident they end up on the door step of an elderly person. I knew a guy who sold mailing lists and they had everything from the age of the people to how the paid and with what card. In this case I am sure they use the same practices all over the country but especially Florida is ripe for their kinds of business practices and they make a point to market heavily here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida