Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:14 AM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 173,052 times

Advertisements

And that's definitely the mentality down here too, anyone and everyone wating to rip you off somehow, reason 2,389 I want to get out of here.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 173,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Congratulations. You have formed a solid opinion on a state you have seen about 2% of.

There are plenty of places in Florida that are the precise opposite of what you describe above. Evidently you did not find them.
Hey I'm all set with what I have seen here in 12 years, no need to look at any other discouraging places here. And if you read into the entire posting... IT'S THE WEATHER I HATE HERE MOST!!!!!!!!!!! Second to crime and how the cost of living is....

Old 08-15-2007, 10:21 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,089,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher441970 View Post
Hey I'm all set with what I have seen here in 12 years, no need to look at any other discouraging places here. And if you read into the entire posting... IT'S THE WEATHER I HATE HERE MOST!!!!!!!!!!! Second to crime and how the cost of living is....

I'm sorry no one told you that Florida was hot and humid before you moved here.

As for crime, I can only repeat what I said before. There are plenty of places in Florida where that is not a significant problem. I live in one myself.
Ditto cost of living.

My objection to your post is that you generalize an entire state based on your limited experience with certain parts of it, which is both illogical and prejudiced.

You want to say that place X sucks, I might not disagree with you, if you are being specific. But I am always going to disagree with statements like "Florida is a terrible place", because they are generalizations that are demonstrably false.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,470,266 times
Quote:
I still cannot get why people like Floriduh? Is it the 90+ degree weather for 6 months or so? High cost of living? Low pay? The overcrowdedness(sp) everywhere? The soaring crime rates? The total lack of culture???? I can't figure it out.

I have been here for 12 years and thankfully I will be out of here in 3 days. I loved Florida when I first came, but it went steadily downhill from there. I first lived in Orlando in 1995, it was great...for a couple years. Then I steadily got more and more less fond of Florida. Too hot, unless you lived on the equator it's too humid and the air is just NASTY. I tried Melbourne, not bad there. Vero Beach is nice. I'll tell you what... Naples is the crappiest city here, they act like it is the best place on earth... YA IF YOU ARE A MILLIONARE!!!! Otherwise it sucks. Fort Myers is surely becoming a miami(crime). I'm just glad to go. I'm sure I will get responses from people saying "one less person" or "good, go" I don't care, you can have this crap hole state...

post is priceless. Thank you for telling it how it is. I lived in Naples aka crappiest place on earth for 23 years.. Not by choice I was dragged there by my parents. When I was a kid back in the early 80's Naples was "nice" , although the humidity, bugs, beach, heat etc ruined it for me even as a child. I envied those who experience season change and had wood floors and fire places. See the thing is , the people here preaching about how wonderful Florida is, moved there in the 90's probably mid to late, when florida was well on its way to hell in a handbasket, so that Florida is all they've known, and to them its paradise. What they didn't know was the older Florida, before it was ruined. I didn't see my first snow till i was 24 years old nor did I see leaves change till I was that old either. Now you couldn't PAY me a million dollars to move back to Naples.. Hell a million dollars would last me a year in that overrated, crap hole.. Or as the locals who truly see how crappy is call it "The City of Evil"!!
Now I'm living right above Western Mass, its Gods country up here with the mountains, beautiful weather and nice people. Welp all you Floridians enjoy your hurricane season, issee Dean is getting some strength, I'll be outside today, its gonna be in the 70's no humidity, oh and I'm a waitin for Saturday they're saying high in the 60's!!!!. Yessssssssssss

Old 08-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I envied those who experience season change and had wood floors and fire places.

Like me?

I'm not going to argue with you about Naples, it's not my favorite place either.

But I live in Florida, experience seasons, have wood floors and use my wood-burning fireplace up to 7 months every year. We have seasons in the Panhandle, and contrary to the assertions of some on this board, it is part of Florida.

At least that's what it says on my driver's license.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Status: "I've got a fightin' side a mile wide but I pray for peace" (set 10 days ago)

14,453 posts, read 9,523,136 times
Default investing your brain

I say ... ban air-conditioning! and watch the state empty! I'm sure the fishing will improve!

AS with everything in life... your rate of return is equal to the investment you make. The weeping and wailing and knashing of teeth allows some to earn charter membership in the "b----H and moan club". Not everyone makes good decisions. Failing to plan is a plan for failure. Like many who fail... blaming takes place after the fact, to defer responsiblity for poor choices. Doing the same thing and expecting different result is a definition of insanity.

Don't run from something , run to something, which requires brain cells working of the front side of the plan. This applies either going back north or coming south.
Luck = opportunity+preparation

Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,248,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
As for crime, I can only repeat what I said before. There are plenty of places in Florida where that is not a significant problem. I live in one myself.
Ditto cost of living.
Went to FSU, so I'm quite familiar with Tallahassee..... Did you just try to tell him that Tallahassee doesn't have a crime problem??? (That's where your thing says your from anyway) I've never seen a more racially charged town in my life than Tally town and it had the crime to go with it.... Must have been SIGNIFICANT changes over the last 10 years for that to have gotten better, or you live off in a nicer area of town...

Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,590 times
This point has been belabored and discussed over and over. I will list the main advantages the Orlando area offers to me, but there is no point in discussing it. You either like or you don't. That's why we're all different!

1. January, February, March and April
2. Tropical Plants
3. Swimming Pools that actually get used most of the year
4. Not having to close your pool for winter
5. Beaches
6. Lots of bright sunny days
7. Deep Springs
8. Minimal clothing requirements
9. Relaxed atmosphere
10.Outdoor Cooking on the grill - year round
11.Good times with friends and family
12.Good job with great benefits
13.Excellent local colleges (Rollins) and universities (Stetson and UCF)
14.Great Shopping
15.Fresh, new areas with reasonably priced new homes (compared to the same kind of homes in other metropolitan areas)
16.Great entertainment

I could go on and on.....the only things I don't like are:
1.Traffic - but it's no worse than any other growing city I know
2.Heat - but I prefer it to winter cold. I HATE wearing a coat
3.High Property Taxes
4.High Home Owner's Insurance

Old 08-15-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Went to FSU, so I'm quite familiar with Tallahassee..... Did you just try to tell him that Tallahassee doesn't have a crime problem??? (That's where your thing says your from anyway) I've never seen a more racially charged town in my life than Tally town and it had the crime to go with it.... Must have been SIGNIFICANT changes over the last 10 years for that to have gotten better, or you live off in a nicer area of town...

I do live in a nicer area of town, and it's not an accident. But as I told someone in another thread, Tallahassee is big enough a town to support a "bad side". BTW, my nice neighborhood on the north side is rather racially diverse, actually.

No offense, but I have lived here for twenty years, and most students don't learn very much about Tallahassee beyond the few square miles around campus, or whatever is block off Monroe or Apalachee Parkway. If you don't fall into this category, I apologize -- but I was one of those students, and it took me several years to comprehend there was a whole city out there that had nothing to do with FSU (which is, BTW, pretty much in the bad side of town).

As for "racially charged", I have to strongly disagree. IMHO, Tampa was far, FAR worse on that issue. Tallahassee is actually a moderately liberal/blue place, and the local culture in my experience has not been "racially charged". Of course, like anywhere else, economic disparities exist and there is some racial correlation there. But as far as visible discrimination, I've seen precious little of that. Out in the counties (Wakulla, Liberty, etc.), that may be the case...

And I've lived in the not-so-nice areas of town too i.e., around the FSU campus, Frenchtown and points south. They do NOT compare with their equivalents in Tampa or Miami by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
ARC

181 posts, read 784,113 times
I like North Florida, but can see where that area wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. So I guess I have to give others the benefit of the doubt that they really love Central or South Florida. I really don't like the tropics - the palm trees or weather - been there done that once in the Carribbean and it's overrated. But I can understand why people who love the Bahamas or the Carribbean would love Orlando. It's just not for everyone.

Quote:
I still cannot get why people like Floriduh? Is it the 90+ degree weather for 6 months or so? High cost of living? Low pay? The overcrowdedness(sp) everywhere? The soaring crime rates? The total lack of culture???? I can't figure it out.

I have been here for 12 years and thankfully I will be out of here in 3 days. I loved Florida when I first came, but it went steadily downhill from there. I first lived in Orlando in 1995, it was great...for a couple years. Then I steadily got more and more less fond of Florida. Too hot, unless you lived on the equator it's too humid and the air is just NASTY. I tried Melbourne, not bad there. Vero Beach is nice. I'll tell you what... Naples is the crappiest city here, they act like it is the best place on earth... YA IF YOU ARE A MILLIONARE!!!! Otherwise it sucks. Fort Myers is surely becoming a miami(crime). I'm just glad to go. I'm sure I will get responses from people saying "one less person" or "good, go" I don't care, you can have this crap hole state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida