Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 AM
ARC

181 posts, read 786,843 times

Advertisements

I like North Florida, but can see where that area wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. So I guess I have to give others the benefit of the doubt that they really love Central or South Florida. I really don't like the tropics - the palm trees or weather - been there done that once in the Carribbean and it's overrated. But I can understand why people who love the Bahamas or the Carribbean would love Orlando. It's just not for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher441970 View Post
I still cannot get why people like Floriduh? Is it the 90+ degree weather for 6 months or so? High cost of living? Low pay? The overcrowdedness(sp) everywhere? The soaring crime rates? The total lack of culture???? I can't figure it out.

I have been here for 12 years and thankfully I will be out of here in 3 days. I loved Florida when I first came, but it went steadily downhill from there. I first lived in Orlando in 1995, it was great...for a couple years. Then I steadily got more and more less fond of Florida. Too hot, unless you lived on the equator it's too humid and the air is just NASTY. I tried Melbourne, not bad there. Vero Beach is nice. I'll tell you what... Naples is the crappiest city here, they act like it is the best place on earth... YA IF YOU ARE A MILLIONARE!!!! Otherwise it sucks. Fort Myers is surely becoming a miami(crime). I'm just glad to go. I'm sure I will get responses from people saying "one less person" or "good, go" I don't care, you can have this crap hole state...

Old 08-15-2007, 12:27 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 174,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
post is priceless. Thank you for telling it how it is. I lived in Naples aka crappiest place on earth for 23 years.. Not by choice I was dragged there by my parents. When I was a kid back in the early 80's Naples was "nice" , although the humidity, bugs, beach, heat etc ruined it for me even as a child. I envied those who experience season change and had wood floors and fire places. See the thing is , the people here preaching about how wonderful Florida is, moved there in the 90's probably mid to late, when florida was well on its way to hell in a handbasket, so that Florida is all they've known, and to them its paradise. What they didn't know was the older Florida, before it was ruined. I didn't see my first snow till i was 24 years old nor did I see leaves change till I was that old either. Now you couldn't PAY me a million dollars to move back to Naples.. Hell a million dollars would last me a year in that overrated, crap hole.. Or as the locals who truly see how crappy is call it "The City of Evil"!!
Now I'm living right above Western Mass, its Gods country up here with the mountains, beautiful weather and nice people. Welp all you Floridians enjoy your hurricane season, issee Dean is getting some strength, I'll be outside today, its gonna be in the 70's no humidity, oh and I'm a waitin for Saturday they're saying high in the 60's!!!!. Yessssssssssss
Thank you, someone who sees this state for what it is... Not to mention the people who disagree with me are probably all loaded so the cost of living doesn't matter to them unlike us pee on's. Who could really enjoy getting into thier car at 175 degrees, going from your front door to you car you sweat like you just jogged 20 miles... SITTING STILL you melt here. It's not nice, when it is 80 degrees at 6AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naples was the WORST place here I lived. And to some of you who don't read the entire post... I did say there were 2 places I actually liked, Vero Beach, and Bradenton/Sarasota.... But not enough to stay here, NO THANKS...

Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

AS with everything in life... your rate of return is equal to the investment you make. The weeping and wailing and knashing of teeth allows some to earn charter membership in the "b----H and moan club". Not everyone makes good decisions. Failing to plan is a plan for failure. Like many who fail... blaming takes place after the fact, to defer responsiblity for poor choices. Doing the same thing and expecting different result is a definition of insanity.
Many do plan & prepare for a move here that is beyond their circumstances & are job- related. We were aware well ahead of our move to SW FL of the crappy summer weather, bugs, high HOI, silly taxes, absolutely nothing homes that one pays $200+k for, a bad school system, lack of cultural activities, a median age of 65 & older, & crime issues [that are not as bad as some places]. We were also aware that one could go swimming in April or walk on a beach in February. Great. But that is not quality of life for us. We planned for it by planning on making this a temporary stay & thankfully it will be. We've learned from this place & take our experiences with us. Not everyone moves here b/c they like 80 degree weather in Januaury & have no idea about anything else that will greet them in this very "interesting" part of Florida.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:17 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,933 times
Quote:
North adams, nice small town.... 16,891 people..... Extremely low crime rate. Cheap to live. Pittsfield would be great too. I will eventually be back to Northampton....

Congrats on getting out of here to you. Don't blame you a bit. Good luck.
See my post about North Adams a few pages back. I lived their almost all my life and it sucks!! I would move just about anywhere in the world including Baghdad Iraq before I would go back there! (OK...maybe Baghdad is a stretch...but the Mayor there is just like Saddam Hussein) John Barrett, the Mayor of North Adams has been there for over 20 years and he is a dictator that nickel and dimes every last cent out of the residents.

He had an incident years ago where he was on Main St. (that has mostly empty buildings) and he shouted at a cop (which he does quite often) and said "The only good cop is a dead cop." This is the guy the idiots in that city keep electing. He was a teacher in the schools before he was mayor and he was famous for hanging kids out of the 2nd and 3rd floor windows or locking them up in closets when they misbehaved. If he did that kind of thing today he would be in jail.

I used to have a scanner that picked up cell phone conversations and I heard some good ones with the mayor. Like one time when he asked the public safety commisioner why the fire dept. bothered to save a building that caught fire...now this wasn't an empty building but a building that someone lived in but because the building was run down he wanted the fire dept. to let the building burn down.

Even though it was technically illegal to listen on cell phone calls I wish I had my tape recorder on when this happened because I would have anonymously sent this to the local media for them to have a field day with.

One time I video taped the city council meetings for public broadcast on the cable channel and the way it worked is I would just run the camera at the meeting and the person in the control office would turn on and turn off the feed. Well, they were late in turning off the feed after the meeting so the camera and mics were still on in the council chambers when the City council members were having a discussion. Some councilors made some comments they shouldn't have made and it got on TV. The mayor comes down from my office and pretty much accuses me of intentionally setting up these councelors. He starts shouting at me about this and I was explaining to him that I don't control when the feed is cut off. Further more, it was in a public room (the councel chambers) where the comments were made and if they were going to talk like that they should go in the hall or somewhere private.

This mayor calls up the elderly people when he's running for election and tells them they will be evicted if they don't vote for him. Of course he can't do that but the elderly are easily intimidated by him so he keeps getting elected because of these tactics.

Jobs? Not in North Adams. It's the worst depressed area I have ever lived in. Want to do something for entertainment? Not in North Adams. You either have to go to Albany, NY (2 hours away) or Boston (almost 3 hours away) if you want any real entertainment. The only thing North Adams is known for is high teenage pregnancy and incest.

Oh...and I just read in the paper...a NYC gang member was just sentenced to prison for a gang murder last year and crime is getting worse. There are drugs and crime in North Adams just like anywhere. Maybe not as bad as some parts of Florida but there is crime.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:44 PM

355 posts, read 1,404,241 times
Quote:
North adams, nice small town.... 16,891 people..... Extremely low crime rate. Cheap to live. Pittsfield would be great too. I will eventually be back to Northampton....

Congrats on getting out of here to you. Don't blame you a bit. Good luck.
yeah good luck to you as well....i lived in pittsfield 18 yrs and i miss it in many ways ....way more than im going to miss florida thats 4 sure only thing i like about FL is my family.......COLORADO here i come

Old 08-15-2007, 02:56 PM

11 posts, read 222,090 times
bye bye...dont let the palm tree hit you in the butt on the way out...

Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM

174 posts, read 666,525 times
Quote:
And that's definitely the mentality down here too, anyone and everyone wating to rip you off somehow, reason 2,389 I want to get out of here.
Yep especially landlords. I agree with most of your posts (I do love the weather). We are from MA (I grew up on S. Shore and hubby N. Shore) we moved down here 2 years ago and it has been a looooooooooooong nightmare. I used to wonder about the rumors of northerners running scared after living here for a short period of time. Now I know.
I think one main reason is the lack of accountability and incompetance.
When you come from a state where they have some of the best colleges, hospitals, school systems, major companies for employment, sporting teams you get used to the best of the best and live in a state where everyone takes pride in their jobs, companies, teams and on and on.
Here people hire the most incompetent people I have ever seen. There is no care and customer service is not here. Most people are out for themselves.
If you notice most people who post they live here always mention relaxing with a cold one, I guess you need to be drunk to tolerate the mad house this state is. One thing I get a huge chuckle at is the posters who LOVE Florida but if you read posts a lot of them have tried their hand in other states (or countries) yet always come back to Florida.....is that because they cannot hack the real world? I swear to tolerate the bs in this state you have to have an IQ under 110 and since that is not the case for me,we are out of here in two months, can't wait.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,516 times
My husband and I are from Connecticut, and we came down almost two years ago. I loved Florida when we first got here. Now, I can't stand it. I never liked Connecticut and thought it was a little "hokey" if you will, but this place.... my God it's worse than up there. I figured with the influx of so many people from all over coming to Florida it would be pretty sophisticated...but it's not. And it is sooooo expensive! We are trying one more place here because now we are in SE Florida, and if that doesn't work out better, we're going back up north. Don't get me wrong, the visual here in Flroida doesn't get any better that's for sure. I love the beach and all that... the natural beauty... but the rest is not good.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerbreez42 View Post
My husband and I are from Connecticut, and we came down almost two years ago. I loved Florida when we first got here. Now, I can't stand it. I never liked Connecticut and thought it was a little "hokey" if you will, but this place.... my God it's worse than up there. I figured with the influx of so many people from all over coming to Florida it would be pretty sophisticated...but it's not. And it is sooooo expensive! We are trying one more place here because now we are in SE Florida, and if that doesn't work out better, we're going back up north. Don't get me wrong, the visual here in Flroida doesn't get any better that's for sure. I love the beach and all that... the natural beauty... but the rest is not good.
Yeah who doesn't love the STATE, the nature, etc. do people really think we want to hate it here
I felt the same way you did when I came two years ago, until reality set in a couple of months down the road and all I was dealing with was Forrest Gump and Gomer Pyle. How does a company like Embarq get away with giving you an install date and showing up 2-3 WEEKS later? NEVER, NEVER had a problem with Verizon in MA.
Hello, we want to love it here, we just are too wise not to.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebe View Post
bye bye...dont let the palm tree hit you in the butt on the way out...
You mean the same one that knocked the sense out of you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida