Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 PM

393 posts, read 1,493,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
I like North Florida, but can see where that area wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. So I guess I have to give others the benefit of the doubt that they really love Central or South Florida. I really don't like the tropics - the palm trees or weather - been there done that once in the Carribbean and it's overrated. But I can understand why people who love the Bahamas or the Carribbean would love Orlando. It's just not for everyone.
You hate palm trees also? You are my soul mate.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 PM

975 posts, read 3,719,640 times
yes, I'm still trying to process how anyone could actually move there and then complain about this. I think the OP is probably trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I'm sorry no one told you that Florida was hot and humid before you moved here.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:40 PM

OP said Western MA. I have a friend who lives there and it's definitely no job mecca unless you work at one of the universities there. I was there in June one year and it was 60 degrees with chilly rain. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Yep especially landlords. I agree with most of your posts (I do love the weather). We are from MA (I grew up on S. Shore and hubby N. Shore) we moved down here 2 years ago and it has been a looooooooooooong nightmare. I used to wonder about the rumors of northerners running scared after living here for a short period of time. Now I know.
I think one main reason is the lack of accountability and incompetance.
When you come from a state where they have some of the best colleges, hospitals, school systems, major companies for employment, sporting teams you get used to the best of the best and live in a state where everyone takes pride in their jobs, companies, teams and on and on.
Here people hire the most incompetent people I have ever seen. There is no care and customer service is not here. Most people are out for themselves.
If you notice most people who post they live here always mention relaxing with a cold one, I guess you need to be drunk to tolerate the mad house this state is. One thing I get a huge chuckle at is the posters who LOVE Florida but if you read posts a lot of them have tried their hand in other states (or countries) yet always come back to Florida.....is that because they cannot hack the real world? I swear to tolerate the bs in this state you have to have an IQ under 110 and since that is not the case for me,we are out of here in two months, can't wait.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 PM

573 posts, read 2,433,913 times
Yeah, and for 12 years!!!! Hmmm it took all that time to figure out it's hot here! okee dokee smokee. To each his own, vent away (at least until people lose interest and stop posting to this thread)

There's jobs here, you just have to look. You may need to change fields, but that's what people do all over the country when they NEED money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
yes, I'm still trying to process how anyone could actually move there and then complain about this. I think the OP is probably trolling

Last edited by ddlove01; 08-15-2007 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-15-2007, 10:26 PM

some of the people who complain on here really are a complete joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
Yeah, and for 12 years!!!! Hmmm it took all that time to figure out it's hot here! okee dokee smokee. To each his own, vent away (at least until people lose interest and stop posting to this thread)

There's jobs here, you just have to look. You may need to change fields, but that's what people do all over the country when they NEED money.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,646,467 times
Why don't people like it? Only the ones who cannot see past there nose don't like it.

14 people on this board alone in the last 4 months have moved to Fla and they ALL LOVE IT there.

Land of mass opportunity and maybe you haven't found or looked for it.

Tell me where else you can live that offers what Florida has to offer you?

As stated above, there are tons of good paying jobs, you just have to find them and or get better skills.

Window washing in Fla is lucrative, I know a Tampa window washer makes 90k+ per year just washing windows.

One friend of mine deals in antiques, he does a couple shows a month, 3 or 4 flea markets and sells in 2 antique malls, he tells me he makes a living and a good one from Sept to Feb alone. He comes to Ohio to buy Antiques and drives a 60k truck and pulls a 25 ft trailer behind it and has a stack of cash to buy everything at the auction.
When he shows up here, we all hold our breathe cause we know we aint buying nothing tonight.

I always post this, if you don't like it where you live.... MOVE

Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 PM

174 posts, read 664,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
OP said Western MA. I have a friend who lives there and it's definitely no job mecca unless you work at one of the universities there. I was there in June one year and it was 60 degrees with chilly rain. No thanks.
HUH? I was talking about MA in general, know nothing about Western MA but to visit or apple pick.
I can guarantee that it gets sunny and above 60 in the summer. Depending on what part you are in you can drive to Boston or Worchester or 128 or 495 which has very good jobs.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:37 AM

776 posts, read 1,664,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Yep especially landlords. I agree with most of your posts (I do love the weather). We are from MA (I grew up on S. Shore and hubby N. Shore) we moved down here 2 years ago and it has been a looooooooooooong nightmare. I used to wonder about the rumors of northerners running scared after living here for a short period of time. Now I know.
I think one main reason is the lack of accountability and incompetance.
When you come from a state where they have some of the best colleges, hospitals, school systems, major companies for employment, sporting teams you get used to the best of the best and live in a state where everyone takes pride in their jobs, companies, teams and on and on.
Here people hire the most incompetent people I have ever seen. There is no care and customer service is not here. Most people are out for themselves.
If you notice most people who post they live here always mention relaxing with a cold one, I guess you need to be drunk to tolerate the mad house this state is. One thing I get a huge chuckle at is the posters who LOVE Florida but if you read posts a lot of them have tried their hand in other states (or countries) yet always come back to Florida.....is that because they cannot hack the real world? I swear to tolerate the bs in this state you have to have an IQ under 110 and since that is not the case for me,we are out of here in two months, can't wait.
I think many areas of New England have a lot to offer.. Boston obviously is one of our great American cities. Western MA and Vermont I thought were breathtaking. A totally different vibe from the people there too. You can't replicate this most anywhere else in the south and Florida is no exception . Weather up there most of the year does leave a lot to be desired. No wonder so many folks play off the positives of both areas who can afford to live in both..

Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 AM

776 posts, read 1,664,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Why don't people like it? Only the ones who cannot see past there nose don't like it.

14 people on this board alone in the last 4 months have moved to Fla and they ALL LOVE IT there.

Land of mass opportunity and maybe you haven't found or looked for it.

Tell me where else you can live that offers what Florida has to offer you?

As stated above, there are tons of good paying jobs, you just have to find them and or get better skills.

Window washing in Fla is lucrative, I know a Tampa window washer makes 90k+ per year just washing windows.

One friend of mine deals in antiques, he does a couple shows a month, 3 or 4 flea markets and sells in 2 antique malls, he tells me he makes a living and a good one from Sept to Feb alone. He comes to Ohio to buy Antiques and drives a 60k truck and pulls a 25 ft trailer behind it and has a stack of cash to buy everything at the auction.
When he shows up here, we all hold our breathe cause we know we aint buying nothing tonight.

I always post this, if you don't like it where you live.... MOVE

Have you ever even lived here? It is okay.. no place is really paradise. The weather you will love the first few years if you are lucky cause the NE and midwest weather where you come from are kind of crappy and we go to the beach or swim in a pool year round.. I've found the heat and humidity wears most folks down over the years and they end up indoors in the A/C most of the time anyway. Most raised here who don't need to work outside stay in the A/C all the time and appreciate the benefits of FL living least of all..

Those who make a fortune made it through RE down here. Majority with wealth came here from other places. For a state of 18M we are seriously lacking in real business and industry. Housing, the main engine might be in the crapper for a long time hurting many folks who made a nice living from it during the bubble.. For the well educated looking for a good high paying professional career it will be tough unless you are in health care..

Old 08-16-2007, 05:15 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I find this thread interesting! I started posting here a few months ago when hubby had an opportunity to move to Florida (Boca, FLL area). We decided to pass on the opportunity at this time but we are still interested in future opportunities within 3 years when the youngest graduates high school.

We decided to vacation in Ft Lauderdale for a few days in 1 1/2 weeks so we can really check it out. I find the comments about lack of culture interesting - knowing that there is a large hispanic population there has to be some culture!

I lived in the Northern Virginia suburbs for 41 years then moved to Hampton Roads, Virginia 4 years ago. I see big crime in BOTH areas, cost of living was crazy in the DC area (better here, but not great) and absolutely NO culture of any kind here.

If I can tear myself away from the pool, lol, we will definitely be traveling around to all the areas we looked into.

So many of these posts on this board are so negative, yet every city has a laundry list of negatives. Living in a city is not just about the cost of housing and the real estate market - but it is about the way of life. So.... we will see how I feel after a few days going to the local malls and driving the neighborhoods to find a Starbucks!

I think alot of people like to say their area of the country actually has more crime than Florida to make it seem like Florida is so great and that they personally had it tougher where they came from when in actuality they themselves lived in the nice area where they came from and only heard about the ghetto that was so scary in thier home city.....Florida is great for transplants who can afford to live in Altamonte Springs or Weston Florida but for those people living in Miami Gardens or Pine Hills or Parts of Jacksonville or Belle Glade or any other towns that have poverty then you might not be able to convince those people that crime or poverty was worse in those areas in your home state.....

i lived in Miami Gardens by the way and lived in Nashville TN and lived near Fresno California and near the Bay area Cali and in Texas.....i saw no place that was worse than another in each bad area of all of the places i lived...the difference in most Florida cities like Miami is that you see innercity problems way out in the suburbs.....i always (everyday) saw some homeless guys holding signs near the freeway exit ramps in Miami Lakes ..(a nice suburb of Miami) and there were gang fights at main street in Miami Lakes every friday and saturday night when i was in highschool living there....they even have signs on Main Street in Miami Lakes by the movies that say no starring or intimidating allowed and that was due to all the fights back then .......

i bet in Virginia's nicest suburbs you dont have those same problems.....there are good and bad parts of each state ...the one thing that new transplants seem to be is blind when saying things about how Florida is....it is just as bad as any other state in its bad areas and just as good in its good areas ......Transplants are kind of blinded by the beautifull sun and weather we have everyday and by the palm trees and newer looking buildings.....give it some time and you willl see that there are areas that might actually be the same or worse than your worst areas where you come from

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 08-16-2007 at 05:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida