Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher441970 View Post
I still cannot get why people like Floriduh? Is it the 90+ degree weather for 6 months or so? High cost of living? Low pay? The overcrowdedness(sp) everywhere? The soaring crime rates? The total lack of culture???? I can't figure it out.

I have been here for 12 years and thankfully I will be out of here in 3 days. I loved Florida when I first came, but it went steadily downhill from there. I first lived in Orlando in 1995, it was great...for a couple years. Then I steadily got more and more less fond of Florida. Too hot, unless you lived on the equator it's too humid and the air is just NASTY. I tried Melbourne, not bad there. Vero Beach is nice. I'll tell you what... Naples is the crappiest city here, they act like it is the best place on earth... YA IF YOU ARE A MILLIONARE!!!! Otherwise it sucks. Fort Myers is surely becoming a miami(crime). I'm just glad to go. I'm sure I will get responses from people saying "one less person" or "good, go" I don't care, you can have this crap hole state...
High cost of living is a bad thing .... air is nasty are you nuts ya think it will be better in the North East ?

The weather is really nice for almost eight months of the year ... yes the lack of culture also has to do with all of the people coming in from everywhere !!

I think it is wrong to slam Florida because of Miami , Orlando or Naples ( I happen to like Naples and I am not rich ) yes Florida has many issues , but if you love the architecture ( stucco , art deco , spanish ) and you love beautiful beaches and palm trees and the outdoors ... boating , diving , fishing then you will love Florida like I do . I happen to love the Tampa/ St.Pete and Clearwater areas ... love the Destin , Panama City areas .. Jacksonville has some beautiful new developments in St.Johns County and the cost of living is much lower than in South Florida ... anyhow I really feel it is wrong to slam all of Florida becuase of Orlando and the South Florida area . Enjoy the North East and your gray , dreary days , gloomy wood boxes for homes , freezing weather and fat pasty skinned and unfriendly people ...... good riddance !!!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:25 AM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Congratulations. You have formed a solid opinion on a state you have seen about 2% of.

There are plenty of places in Florida that are the precise opposite of what you describe above. Evidently you did not find them.
Strel ... I agree with you 100% ... love Florida and not afraid to say it ... if someone does not like it they are free to leave ... love Tallahasee by the way .

Old 08-17-2007, 01:29 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
I guess i like Florida for the warm weather, the diversity of cultures that live here now, living within an hour of the beach, and it feels like home to me.....but i always hear people coming on here saying they moved down here for a better life.......lol........from the northeast......if it wasn't for the cold cold weather up in nice areas of Massachutsets or Conn., Maryland, or NY i would move up there to live in some of thier suburbs because i bet the suburbs in those areas arent alot different than suburbs in Florida and from what ive heard they might even be nicer......

Ive met middle class people from these states and they are surprised that they saw a homeless guy standing on the corner of the Palmetto Expressway entrance ramp asking people for food in Miami Lakes (a nice suburb in Miami) and people say how much cheaper things are in Florida well don't forget to add the pay at a job in that conversation....my girlfriend is from Long Island NY and we visited Miami a couple months ago and she asked me, "What is that guy doing standing at the intersection with that sign"....because she saw a couple other intersections like this when we were driving through the Miami area and i told her that's what they do down here...they are homeless just trying to get some change from people at the intersections....we werent in the ghetto......and then she says "i could make $10 an hour up there but im only making $7 an hour here"......

Guess if you have a college degree you could be ok looking for work here (maybe) but if you don't you are in for some surprises that you didnt know about when you visited on your vacation....truthfully....in the northeast how many of the suburbs do you have innercity problems in......its no different then here and you might be surprised after living here for more than a year.....most people i know that have the money to move down here arent coming to move into a lower-middle class / lower income area so how can you say it's all better than where you came from...most people that say its better didnt live in the ghetto in thier home city to begin with but i guess they have to make one place seem worse than the next so they can be tougher or more special.......

I love Florida for many reasons but there are things that i wish could change about the state i call home in my heart

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 08-17-2007 at 01:45 PM..

Old 08-17-2007, 01:48 PM

174 posts, read 666,378 times
in the northeast how many of the suburbs do you have innercity problems in

Most of the suburbs in New England have no innercity problems, the problems are innercity in just the cities i.e: Brockton, Lawrence, Haverhill, Nashua, Manchester, Boston, Providence, Worchester.

The suburbs around those areas and others are some of the safest places to live, most of the towns are under 50k and a lot under 20k in population. They are also very wealthy towns with more police presence than is needed.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
in the northeast how many of the suburbs do you have innercity problems in

Most of the suburbs in New England have no innercity problems, the problems are innercity in just the cities i.e: Brockton, Lawrence, Haverhill, Nashua, Manchester, Boston, Providence, Worchester.

The suburbs around those areas and others are some of the safest places to live, most of the towns are under 50k and a lot under 20k in population. They are also very wealthy towns with more police presence than is needed.

That was my whole point ....thank you.....people that say its better here in Florida aren't really enjoying the areas around Oakridge Rd. and Orange Blossom Trail in an Orlando Suburb and they aren't living in the nice suburb of Miami Gardens or Opa-Locka which are not close to downtown Miami at all......All ghetto azz suburbs.....alot of suburbs in Florida have an innercity element in them unless its a rich suburb like Windemere where Tiger Woods lives

Old 08-17-2007, 02:38 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,580 times
I live in Maine and there are homeless people here and there are people that stand in the road near the park in Portland panning for money from motorists. The only difference is in Florida you won't freeze to death in -20 degree weather when you are homeless.

And you might be able to find a job for $10 in Maine but at least around the Portland area $10/hour might as well be $7 an hour in Florida...from this very site look at the cost of housing and how much it rose from 2000 to 2005 and it's still going up...

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $216,400 (it was $121,200 in 2000)
Portland $216,400

Of course if you want to live up in northern Maine where it's even colder and absolutely no jobs it's a little cheaper.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,661,654 times
Florida has more to offer you if you willing to work hard then any state I have traveled to in the past 10 years bar none.

And I travel to almost every state this side of the Mississippi and see allot worse places in other states then any town I travel to in Florida.

There are at least 10 states that have NO JOBS at all, you can make a living washing windows or cutting grass/landscapingin Florida, other states you are out of luck.

If I was homeless and had 0 money, Florida is where I would start and would be in good shape in no time. You couldnt do that in too many other states.

It's the land of opportunity and paradise all wrapped up in one.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Florida has more to offer you if you willing to work hard then any state I have traveled to in the past 10 years bar none.

And I travel to almost every state this side of the Mississippi and see allot worse places in other states then any town I travel to in Florida.

There are at least 10 states that have NO JOBS at all, you can make a living washing windows or cutting grass/landscapingin Florida, other states you are out of luck.

If I was homeless and had 0 money, Florida is where I would start and would be in good shape in no time. You couldnt do that in too many other states.

It's the land of opportunity and paradise all wrapped up in one.
Ill take that with a grain of salt....i lived in 2 other states in the South other than Florida....tell me which states had no jobs at all?.........and if you are homeless its not as easy as 1,2,3 and get a job for some people....there are single homeless women with a kid that cant just up and go to work or go look for work because they have to take care of the kid and there are disabled homeless people and mentally disturbed homeless people....i bet you havent been homeless before ....i have 2 times and if you have i would like to hear how your experience was and not the usual things that anyone can say about living without shelter....paradise wrapped up in one huh......yeah some parts of Florida are paradise (for rich people which is anyone making over $50,000 a year in my book) ....tell people in Palatka or Immokalee or Lake City or Miami Gardens or Opa-Locka or about 100 other places that and then see if everyone believes "ALL" of Florida is paradise......the fact is that in most northeast states you have pasty white rich people living in all the small towns and suburbs.....Except for areas of NYC and Phili...and a couple other suburbs...tell me that the majority of northeast states dont have richer people than in the South.....lol

Old 08-18-2007, 06:40 AM
TOC

36 posts, read 115,509 times
it really confuses me when i hear people from florida say how bad it is and they want to move back to the NE. what's ridiculous is that they list all the reasons they are leaving and guess what, the NE has the same issues but worse! how can you say the cost of living is terrible? i live in NJ and the average income in this town is probabaly a little under $40k a year, HOWEVER, the average home prices are anywhere between $300k(for an old fixer upper), to $500-$700 for new homes. i'm sorry but most of the people who live in this town cant afford to do anything but rent. also we have the worst air quality in the country, no one wants to hire anyone at a decent salary even if you are a college grad, its unbelievably overcrowded. the NE has like the greatest population density in the country. i guess i agree with you on lack of culture, but just keep in mind that with 'culture' comes attitude and pretentious people. we have some of the most condescending/arrogant people you could think of in the northeast. if you smile at someone they'll probably look at you like you have three eyes. also, the stress is beyond belief up here too. have fun moving north buddy.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
I meet many people who are leaving this area to move south, for the reasons you mention. What good is it to have higher paying jobs here if you have to keep renting forever? And this is also one of the worst areas in the country for car insurance and buying an individual health insurance policy, if you don't get it through your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOC View Post
it really confuses me when i hear people from florida say how bad it is and they want to move back to the NE. what's ridiculous is that they list all the reasons they are leaving and guess what, the NE has the same issues but worse! how can you say the cost of living is terrible? i live in NJ and the average income in this town is probabaly a little under $40k a year, HOWEVER, the average home prices are anywhere between $300k(for an old fixer upper), to $500-$700 for new homes. i'm sorry but most of the people who live in this town cant afford to do anything but rent. also we have the worst air quality in the country, no one wants to hire anyone at a decent salary even if you are a college grad, its unbelievably overcrowded. the NE has like the greatest population density in the country. i guess i agree with you on lack of culture, but just keep in mind that with 'culture' comes attitude and pretentious people. we have some of the most condescending/arrogant people you could think of in the northeast. if you smile at someone they'll probably look at you like you have three eyes. also, the stress is beyond belief up here too. have fun moving north buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida