Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 08:01 AM

62 posts, read 114,270 times

Advertisements

DH and I have been talking a lot lately about getting out of the city (Tampa Bay area) and moving to the country, but we don't want to be so far from his mom. I'm new to FL altogether, so I'm not really familiar with the cities and towns around.

My questions would be these: where exactly IS the country in FL? Is it possible to find a quiet country town and still stay in Hillsborough County, or will we have to look further abroad? If so, any recommendations on good places to look for a nice, peaceful, quiet town that'd be good to raise a family in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you arent doing anything some Sunday go for a drive in this direction
http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=I-2...1&vpsrc=0&z=10

Old 08-19-2011, 11:10 AM

Oh yes! We've done a good bit of that drive already and absolutely LOVED the areas, although we took 301 most of the way up. Dade City is about as far as we decided to go that day. I'll talk to DH about looking even further north of there and see if we like something in that area.

Thank you very much for your recommendation!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
You don't want to live in the country in Florida. Trust me. I lived in the most country place in Florida ever. Read my post for more information on why you shouldn't. If you want to live country, please do it in another state that's further than Georgia and Louisianna. Country living is better suited for those past those states because it's not so hot and humid and you don't have to deal with snakes and mosquitoes. Matter fact, move to a midwest state for country living. You just don't want to live country down south. Period. It's terrible. It's horrible. Please take my advice and do it elsewhere. Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, whatever. They are all better choices than Florida.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You don't want to live in the country in Florida. Trust me. I lived in the most country place in Florida ever. Read my post for more information on why you shouldn't. If you want to live country, please do it in another state that's further than Georgia and Louisianna. Country living is better suited for those past those states because it's not so hot and humid and you don't have to deal with snakes and mosquitoes. Matter fact, move to a midwest state for country living. You just don't want to live country down south. Period. It's terrible. It's horrible. Please take my advice and do it elsewhere. Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, whatever. They are all better choices than Florida.
Thank you for your advice, but we're still planning to stay in Florida. DH's mother lives here and we'd like to be close enough to take care of her as she gets older.

As for the points in your linked post, these things aren't something, I imagine, that will be applicable to ALL areas of rural Florida. It does sound like you've had a very bad run of luck in the place you're at, but I can't see that it would be like this everywhere. I happen to be awfully fond of a secluded lifestyle. I grew up right next to a cow farm and spent my entire childhood running through cow fields and making forts in the woods. Yes, I was a dirty, barefoot kid, and I loved every moment of it!

Public transportation isn't an issue for us; I, for my part, have NEVER in my life used a public bus, and I wouldn't miss it if there weren't one. Where I grew up, we did not have public transportation, and it was at least thirty miles to a town big enough to have it. If you wanted to go somewhere, you walked, rode a bike, or drove the car.

And while I will agree that, yes, it IS very hot and humid here in Florida, I have yet to experience a problem with it. I have no trouble working outside in the heat and humidity. I just make sure to drink plenty of fluids, and I'm in no way embarrassed or scared to sweat a little bit.

The state of ANY public school system is moot for us, because I homeschool our child and will do so for our future children, as well. I really have no need to walk anywhere, so long as I've my vehicle for transportation to places like the grocers and drug store.

I also have absolutely no problem with bugs, snakes, alligators, mosquitoes, or anything else of that ilk. It's simply nature, and often enough can be protected against with bug spray. The alligators, of course, not so much, but there's something to be said about being smart and safe on that account.

I'm a very positive and proactive person, and I find a country, rural lifestyle to be very enjoyable and appealing. I know it's not for everyone, but I do know it is just perfect for my family and the kind of life we would like to lead.

Any other suggestions for areas would be wonderful!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
There are nice places outside Plant City, and in many areas of Hillsborough county. Also up north ..Hernando and counties north of there and also east of Hernando. All areas are close enough to Tampa.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:27 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Parts of Brooksville and out around Spring Lake are nice.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:48 PM

571 posts, read 790,604 times
Check out Floral City. Rural, hilly and relatively close to Tampa and a bunch of lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida