Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
You moved to Orlando, what did you expect?
Who are you talking to???

Old 09-05-2011, 03:18 PM

357 posts, read 783,545 times
i dont know why this is such a huge debate. Some people like the beach, some people like mountatins. Some people like florida's climate, some don't. Some people like hot dogs, some like brats... etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. This country is diverse and pretty much has something to offer for everyone. If everybody liked florida, or if everyone liked pittsburg, then we would have a lot of vacant land in this country.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
i dont know why this is such a huge debate. Some people like the beach, some people like mountatins. Some people like florida's climate, some don't. Some people like hot dogs, some like brats... etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. This country is diverse and pretty much has something to offer for everyone. If everybody liked florida, or if everyone liked pittsburg, then we would have a lot of vacant land in this country.
And some people like tofu and some like a side of cow.

Most Florida threads eventually devolve into a hot and cold issue.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I left FL and for myself it was not a place I would ever want to live again or maybe even visit it left a bad feeling with me. I can see where if a person is retired and could spend a few winter months there it could be ok.
I am not a fan of cold and snow but the humidity of FL is just too much. It is not the heat. It is that sticky and can't breath weather you can even feel inside. It also was not a financial reason or job issue of why I did not like FL.
Overall FL to me was a very unfriendly place to live. I know it depends on the area you live but just my experience in Boca. I also felt the area is overpriced though well manicured and I guess safe in terms of FL. When I first left and people would say hello or make small chat I was surprised cause I was not used to it.
I do agree what one person likes another won't and that we all have different needs which impacts if a move will work out

Old 09-06-2011, 01:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
OP must be on his way as he hasnt posted since he started the topic 27 pages ago....

Last edited by jambo101; 09-06-2011 at 02:47 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 AM

378 posts, read 829,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
OP must be on his way as he hasnt posted since he started the topic 27 pages ago....
Yea, must be enjoying the warm days and cool nights of Pittsburgh. Wonder if he'll ever miss the swamp?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I like tofu with my side of cow.

I dont understand what the issue is. Florida is hot in the summer. Mild
in the winter and there is a few inbetween times where it could get very warm or very cold in the same season.

If someone does not do simple multi year look at the weather in a place, they have no business even thinking about anything else about a place.
Weather is an important factor in human happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And some people like tofu and some like a side of cow.

Most Florida threads eventually devolve into a hot and cold issue.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I like tofu with my side of cow.

I dont understand what the issue is. Florida is hot in the summer. Mild
in the winter and there is a few inbetween times where it could get very warm or very cold in the same season.

If someone does not do simple multi year look at the weather in a place, they have no business even thinking about anything else about a place.
Weather is an important factor in human happiness.
I think it has to do with realistic expectations. I read a lot of posts that say hey, it gets just as hot up here in Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, fill in the blank. And usually one or two people come along and say well, it will be for a longer time. And they respond, oh we understand.

And almost always, no they don't understand.

I sometimes happen on the thread and try to explain dew point, even throw up a link but I know that it is usually ignored or they don't truly understand.

One more. This time with feeling.

Dew point will be the difference between 97 degrees and 78 percent humidity in New Jersey as opposed to 92 degrees and 75 percent in Naples, Florida.

On the face of it, it sure looks like it is a heck of a lot hotter in Jersey, doesn't it?

But it never feels like it. And I've compared the two for a couple of years, thanks to one poster that wondered about it.

It's the dew point.

At the same time the dew point in Jersey is 72 and the dew point in Naples is 79. Jersey feels miserable. No doubt. But oh, doggie, you feel like you are swimming in a hot bath in Naples.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. I've said perhaps a hundred times that the heat down there didn't bother me. In fact if you run on the cold side - and I do, they now know I have a thyroid condition - it feels darn good to you.

But people move down thinking it is as hot as Detroit or New York but it doesn't feel that way and that is where they run into trouble. I think if they come down forearmed with that information it will be a much more pleasant experience.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:13 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Who are you talking to???
The OP.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I am going to guess you didnt take any of the problems you quoted into consideration before coming to FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
I have lived here for 3 years... Came from Pittsburgh, leaving for there again tomorrow...

Anyway, This whole state is not anything close to what I expected...Here's why...

1- The wages here stink...bad. I drive a motorcoach here in Orlando and I make a whopping 10 bucks a hour. No benefits whatsoever. My friends up north that do the same job get considerably more, and tell me all the time they wont LOOK at a bus for that money. My boss hired me on "Full Time" yet could not shed a tear when he cuts me a paycheck for $54 because "works slow".

2- Utilities...I thought they were bad in Pittsburgh...No comparison. The electric bills here are insane. 3-400 a month in electric. I paid no usually more than 100 back home a month, and I run the same stuff. And the deposits they demand, and god forbid if you can't make your huge payment on time...see number 1 above. They shut it off after a month. Back home they work with you. The PUC makes them. And we had a cap program, that went by you budget...big help.

3- Car insurance...My rates went from $740 a YEAR to $800 every 6 months when We got here. Same car, same coverage.

This is not meant to be a bash Florida post...because Florida does have many good points. But when you can't even afford to pay your bills, and your gross for the year was only 14,000...Then its time to go.

Now I understand why its referred to as the "retirement state".

Shawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida