Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Compared to.... ? What? Schools up north?

I'm a firm believer that there is really no such thing as a "bad school." Bad student bodies, parents who do not care, etc., maybe. But "bad schools" are far outnumbered by "schools with unfortunate student body characteristics."

Ranked #30 out of #50, Florida schools are hardly at the bottom (Only a few spots below someone who may have gone to school in, say, Missouri):

Ranking of Elementary Schools in USA
Do you have any children that have been in FL schools lately?
And precisely what does where I went to school at have anything to do with anything?
Oh, thats right, nothing.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:39 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Do you have any children that have been in FL schools lately?
And precisely what does where I went to school at have anything to do with anything?
Oh, thats right, nothing.
I WENT to Florida public schools, not too too long ago, but back when, supposedly, they were ranked even worse than they are now nationally. I also know plenty of people with kids, and more than my share of Florida teachers (who are insulted by constant derogatory comments towards "Florida schools" when again, it has everything to do with the COMPOSITION of a student body vs. a school per se).

... and I can still manage to run circles around people who went to school "in the northeast"

BTW: If you read more carefully next time, you will notice that where *you* went to school is not the point of the comment. The point is that nobody every talks about Missouri schools being "bad" but they are middle of the pack just like Florida!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I WENT to Florida public schools, not too too long ago, but back when, supposedly, they were ranked even worse than they are now nationally. I also know plenty of people with kids, and more than my share of Florida teachers (who are insulted by constant derogatory comments towards "Florida schools" when again, it has everything to do with the COMPOSITION of a student body vs. a school per se).

... and I can still manage to run circles around people who went to school "in the northeast"

BTW: If you read more carefully next time, you will notice that where *you* went to school is not the point of the comment. The point is that nobody every talks about Missouri schools being "bad" but they are middle of the pack just like Florida!
Your punctuation must be on vacation.
The only reason I even brought up your vapid comment about where I attended school was to point out that its a strawman, and has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at at hand.
But, if you attended a FL school recently, I rather doubt if you had any debate classes.
Too bad, another failing of the public schools of FL.
But hey, we gots us some great football teams, dont we?

Old 09-09-2011, 04:28 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Compared to.... ? What? Schools up north?

I'm a firm believer that there is really no such thing as a "bad school." Bad student bodies, parents who do not care, etc., maybe. But "bad schools" are far outnumbered by "schools with unfortunate student body characteristics."

Ranked #30 out of #50, Florida schools are hardly at the bottom (Only a few spots below someone who may have gone to school in, say, Missouri):

Ranking of Elementary Schools in USA
Hey my daughter has 4 A's 3 B's.... Lets see how this plays out in MA schools which are leaps and bounds ahead of FL schools..... We care about her schooling. 30 out of 50....LOL So, below average is good? Nice!

Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Your punctuation must be on vacation.
The only reason I even brought up your vapid comment about where I attended school was to point out that its a strawman, and has absolutely nothing to do with the matter at at hand.
But, if you attended a FL school recently, I rather doubt if you had any debate classes.
Too bad, another failing of the public schools of FL.
But hey, we gots us some great football teams, dont we?

Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
One of the advantages of going to a private school in St Louis in the 70s.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Hey my daughter has 4 A's 3 B's.... Lets see how this plays out in MA schools which are leaps and bounds ahead of FL schools..... We care about her schooling. 30 out of 50....LOL So, below average is good? Nice!
Amzing how the rah-rah crowd has convinced themselves that sub-par is ok.
Speaks volumes, does it not?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 PM

87 posts, read 136,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I've always thought much of a students success at any given school is how motivated a kid is to learn,the teachers can show the way but ultimately its up to the kid to learn..
Bad school? i think it would make for an interesting topic as we've hijacked the op's thread entirely, but doesnt look like he cares as he never came back after the first post .

He is probably too busy enjoying his time outdoors in Pittsburgh to really care about this post.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Pittsburgh is a nice city. Florida is a nice place for reptiles.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:19 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Amazing how the rah-rah crowd has convinced themselves that sub-par is OK.
Speaks volumes, does it not?
Well some will grasp at anything to make it look good down here with schooling. But proving a point by posting your state is below average, that's not really going to help.... It's actually pretty humorous!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida