Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times

Advertisements

well, at least we all know where you stand. Good luck with your move, although I have a feeling you'll be trying to convince the mods to change your handle to mustgetoutofTexas in a year or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Thanks, I know I am going to LOVE Texas, why cause of the friendly people like you, unlike the Stepford husbands here in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 06:46 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,920 times
also, I don't know if mustgetoutoffla is going to buy, but doesn't TX have very high property taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
BIG, massive difference b/w Austin & Houston. Like comparing Miami & Tallahassee.

Hopefully, you will stay out of the Houston metro area. It is bad in many ways. I believe it is the 3rd largest city in the US right now [I may be wrong]. Weather in Houston is very comparable to southern Florida.

Best of luck. We were in Texas for about 5 years, about 40 miles north of Austin. True Texans are an interesting breed & you will see the Texas flag everywhere.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:46 PM

458 posts, read 598,771 times
To each his own. We lived in Austin for 2 years, hated it. We used to describe most Texas families as Stepford families. We found the wives very bizarre, if their daughter was a cheerleader they thought they were royalty. Butt ugly girls on the cheer squad walking around like little Paris Hiltons. The whole Texas thing totally creeped us out.

We loved South Florida and thought the people there were way nicer and less stuck on themselves then those in Texas.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:48 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Yep, Texas nails prop owners---somewhere b/w 2.5-3.5% I believe. There is no state income tax.

But, what you get for your money is still more there than here.

There are some amazing places to live if one likes the terrain of TX & the area. A lot more variety.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
To each his own. We lived in Austin for 2 years, hated it. We used to describe most Texas families as Stepford families. We found the wives very bizarre, if their daughter was a cheerleader they thought they were royalty. Butt ugly girls on the cheer squad walking around like little Paris Hiltons. The whole Texas thing totally creeped us out.

We loved South Florida and thought the people there were way nicer and less stuck on themselves then those in Texas.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.
I almost laughed when I read this because during our stay in Austin we were NEVER a stepford family!! LOL! We are ANYTHING but. I guess there might be some who find me bizarre, but hey to each his own.

Where we lived we were one of only about three non mexican families in the apartment complex. While many of the wives seemed to be very traditional I would not have said they were stepford like. The funny thing is that we actually lived in what was supposed to be the poor high crime part of town but I never knew it till after we left. I really loved it. We did alright financially there, much better than we have here.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:03 AM

174 posts, read 666,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
BIG, massive difference b/w Austin & Houston. Like comparing Miami & Tallahassee.

Hopefully, you will stay out of the Houston metro area. It is bad in many ways. I believe it is the 3rd largest city in the US right now [I may be wrong]. Weather in Houston is very comparable to southern Florida.

Best of luck. We were in Texas for about 5 years, about 40 miles north of Austin. True Texans are an interesting breed & you will see the Texas flag everywhere.
Oh we will check out Austin, San Antonio and Galveston, too.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:54 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times
mustgetoutofflorida, what was your complaints about fla again?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
mustgetoutofflorida, what was your complaints about fla again?
If you really care to know go read my posts, I am not going to take my time listing them all(would take days to do it, anyways)

Old 08-19-2007, 07:18 AM

65 posts, read 248,518 times
Default mustgetoutofflorida

Totally differant towns. Austin is a little less contry and Austin welcomes out of towners a lot better. When we were in Austin we met people from all over but in Houston not as welcome. Houston is humid but Austin was just hot. Safer town in Austin. Little towns like Georgetown,Cedar Park and Lake Travis were 10 minutes to the city and clean. Dell is the big company and employs like 17,000 people.
Fattest people is correct. The food there is real good and you will notice a lot of people are big due to the heat and staying inside and eating. Still a great area. San Antonia is nice but Austin is better, Homes,gas, taxes and food a lot cheaper there than Florida or NY. If you have kids it's Austin for sure. Good luck and yes I'm gelous!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtjss View Post
Totally differant towns. Austin is a little less contry and Austin welcomes out of towners a lot better. When we were in Austin we met people from all over but in Houston not as welcome. Houston is humid but Austin was just hot. Safer town in Austin. Little towns like Georgetown,Cedar Park and Lake Travis were 10 minutes to the city and clean. Dell is the big company and employs like 17,000 people.
Fattest people is correct. The food there is real good and you will notice a lot of people are big due to the heat and staying inside and eating. Still a great area. San Antonia is nice but Austin is better, Homes,gas, taxes and food a lot cheaper there than Florida or NY. If you have kids it's Austin for sure. Good luck and yes I'm gelous!
We will definately check out Houston and Austin and possibly San Antonio. I thought the job market would bring him to just Houston, but he will be doing all work from home on his laptop, so we could really move to anywhere in this country. I am planning on going back to work since I want my 4 yo to have some Pre k before he starts school next year.
anyhow, thanks for the very positive post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida