Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 AM

174 posts, read 666,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
well, at least we all know where you stand. Good luck with your move, although I have a feeling you'll be trying to convince the mods to change your handle to mustgetoutofTexas in a year or two
Ummmm, no......remember I moved to Florida cause hubby wanted to, not that I came kicking and screaming, but after a few months reality set in and I gave it almost two years to love it, just did not happen. It's called common sense.

Besides if I want to change my handle I can anytime, don't need THEIR permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 05:00 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,653 times
Let me start by saying, I love Florida! Now, for the Texas bashing..thereare fat people everywhere. We have great mexican food and great barbeque...food lovers tend to move here. I myself am one hot looking chic and I am a Texan..so there. Pollution is correct, as I have stated before, I wouldn't live in the city. I live in Spring, which is a city just north of houston. My area is beautiful and it stays that way the further north you. The Wodlands is gorgeous..all suburbs..great places to raise Kids.In fact, there is alot I will miss about living here, it's just that I love Florida more. As I have said in another post, paradise is where you make it, different places for different people. Nice neighbors could be just a street or a town away. As a native, I will say that Galveston has nothing on any beach in FLorida but if you move there, Tikki Island is nice...Anyway, we are neighbors, We are both Hot, we have beaches and hurricane issues..and I saw a couple of fat people in Florida...and I will barbeque when i get there...and maybe keep a Texas flag....so lets talk nice...

Old 08-19-2007, 05:04 PM

I believe Florida taxes are high also..but yes, property taxes are about 3% but the price of houses are alot lower..

Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 AM

Ha ha! Your roaches are bigger than ours! Speaking of snakes, had to get my son to get one of those critters out of my house the other day...my neighbor had a copperhead in her closet that my husband had to go get out for her..
Do florida roaches fly?? I hope not..that would be nice to live somewhere without flying roaches...and your alligators creep me out, we keep ours in the inner city bayous, certainly not in the subdivision lakes!
Anyway, the 2 states are similar in alot of ways...not a whole lot different, except lower cost of living here.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Please get back on the original topic and not a topic about Texas.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:11 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
I have been reading this board for about 6 months now because hubby had a potential opportunity to move to SE Florida. We decided to pass on the opportunity - mainly because of elderly parents and we will wait a few more years until our son gets out of high school. The opportunity to relocate with his company will always be there.

I was born and raised in the DC suburbs and lived there for 41 years. As I grew older I really hated the traffic and the high cost of living. We moved to SE Virginia 4 years ago and found a MUCH slower pace of life, lower cost of living and much milder weather in the winter. However, after 4 years I do not feel that this is home or that this is where I want to retire. I look forward to the next chapter in my life - and chances are good that will take me to Florida or Arizona.

Having said that, several weeks ago we spent part of our vacation in Florida (Ft Lauderdale and St Augustine). As I was there, I was really focusing on what it would be like to live in Florida. Traffic was BAD - almost as bad as Northern Virginia - but this was mainly on the highways. Living close to work would definitely be the solution to that issue. I also found the drivers to be very aggressive - excessive speeding, running red lights and just being inconsiderate. That could be a result of the no-fault insurance. This was true on the whole drive up and down the coast - but I may have been especially cautious because I was driving a rental car.

Overall, I am pretty sure that the general lifestyle of Florida is definitely my cup of tea! I love the tropical feel and could care less if I ever saw snow again. The heat didn't bother me - it is just as hot and humid here in Virginia. As far as most Floridians being from somewhere else.... well that is absolutely true in Northern Virginia too! However, in NoVa that somewhere else is usually another country!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,905,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I have been reading this board for about 6 months now because hubby had a potential opportunity to move to SE Florida. We decided to pass on the opportunity - mainly because of elderly parents and we will wait a few more years until our son gets out of high school. The opportunity to relocate with his company will always be there.

I was born and raised in the DC suburbs and lived there for 41 years. As I grew older I really hated the traffic and the high cost of living. We moved to SE Virginia 4 years ago and found a MUCH slower pace of life, lower cost of living and much milder weather in the winter. However, after 4 years I do not feel that this is home or that this is where I want to retire. I look forward to the next chapter in my life - and chances are good that will take me to Florida or Arizona.

Having said that, several weeks ago we spent part of our vacation in Florida (Ft Lauderdale and St Augustine). As I was there, I was really focusing on what it would be like to live in Florida. Traffic was BAD - almost as bad as Northern Virginia - but this was mainly on the highways. Living close to work would definitely be the solution to that issue. I also found the drivers to be very aggressive - excessive speeding, running red lights and just being inconsiderate. That could be a result of the no-fault insurance. This was true on the whole drive up and down the coast - but I may have been especially cautious because I was driving a rental car.

Overall, I am pretty sure that the general lifestyle of Florida is definitely my cup of tea! I love the tropical feel and could care less if I ever saw snow again. The heat didn't bother me - it is just as hot and humid here in Virginia. As far as most Floridians being from somewhere else.... well that is absolutely true in Northern Virginia too! However, in NoVa that somewhere else is usually another country!
I think people like Florida but can't stay here. I have seen alot of people move away from my area. Its sad to see people move each week due to the loss of jobs or just can't deal with the taxes and HOI. Even people from the UK are moving. Florida in a nut shell is living on the edge. Florida is a mess right now and things are not looking good in the next few years.
The celebration is over as Floridians are battered by the housing slump - Times Online

Last edited by firemed; 09-11-2007 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,769 times
"I also found the drivers to be very aggressive - excessive speeding, running red lights and just being inconsiderate."

in st augustine too?

Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
BacktoFla -
We were only in St Augustine for 1 day/1 night, but it was not as bad there as on the highway (95 all the way to FLL) and all the side trips we took in between.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 AM

69 posts, read 126,094 times
Okay we left Florida to TN being my hubby and I are (no were Mortgage Brokers with own Co.) and decided in Dec of '06 to move cause we saw what was coming. Went back for Labor Day and miss every thing about it. Yes it is cheaper here, though I miss people interaction, as dumb as it sounds I do. I miss striking up conversations with people anywhere. Here its well doesn't happen too much and I feel the locals run when they hear your accent. So just becareful what you wish for like the song says... It is very hard to learn about a new place, I get frustrated at times I feel like I am in a foreign country. I even miss channel 7 with Belkys Nerey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida