Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 04:27 AM

160 posts, read 451,747 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear some opinions on Florida's public school system. I know that Florida doesn't have a great repuatation when it comes to education. Are there any districts that are good/great? I am interested both as a parent of young children and as a teacher.

*If anyone could compare to New York (particularly Long Island), that would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
I would like to hear some opinions on Florida's public school system. I know that Florida doesn't have a great repuatation when it comes to education. Are there any districts that are good/great? I am interested both as a parent of young children and as a teacher.

*If anyone could compare to New York (particularly Long Island), that would be very helpful.
Reputation and reality often don't mesh. Example: 12th grade math skills statewide versus the other 49 states Florida ranked at or just below the national average with every student in the state taking the test. The FCAT (Florida skills test) is a requirement of all students, not just those that are college-bound or AP. In terms of the best school districts in Florida (based on FCAT average results), the Top 10 are:

1. St John's County (St Augustine/Ponte Vedra area)
2. Santa Rosa County (Gulf Breeze/Navarre)
3. Martin County (Stuart/Jensen Beach area)
4. Sarasota County (Sarasota area)
5. Gilchrist County (west of Gainesville)
6. Okaloosa County (Fort Walton Beach/Destin area)
7. Seminole County (Lake Mary/Altamonte Springs area)
8. (tied) Brevard County (Melbourne/Palm Bay/Titusville area)
8. (tied) Monroe County (Florida Keys)
10. Sumter County (The Villages/Bushnell/Wildwood area)

Old 06-03-2012, 02:01 PM

20 posts, read 42,493 times
This thread says it all, sigh. Usually kids from up North are at least one to two grades ahead. At least. //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...-up-north.html

NY schools are 1000x better. Even the good schools aren't that great. Every public school district in FL is a total teach to the test school. Had a friend who quit teaching because they had her focus on 3rd grade FCAT prep in 1st grade. No social studies. No art. No nothing....just math and reading.

There are some exceptions. My kids attended a great Montessori magnet school in Jacksonville...but they are few and far between.

St. Johns County schools are good.... Seminole County are good.... but it really depends on the school. Regardless, you're still going to face an FCAT or die mentality.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM

20 posts, read 42,493 times
This also helps. If you look at high participation states for the SAT, Florida ranks 15 with an average score of 1447.

And NY ranks 12 with an average score of 1460.

Commonwealth Foundation - 2010 SAT Scores by State

Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM

168 posts, read 394,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasao View Post
This thread says it all, sigh. Usually kids from up North are at least one to two grades ahead. At least. //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...-up-north.html

NY schools are 1000x better. Even the good schools aren't that great. Every public school district in FL is a total teach to the test school. Had a friend who quit teaching because they had her focus on 3rd grade FCAT prep in 1st grade. No social studies. No art. No nothing....just math and reading.

There are some exceptions. My kids attended a great Montessori magnet school in Jacksonville...but they are few and far between.

St. Johns County schools are good.... Seminole County are good.... but it really depends on the school. Regardless, you're still going to face an FCAT or die mentality.
I have friends from Long Island who had to put their kids in to private schools because the schools in NY were having problems...I think it is a mis understanding that NY schools are better than FL; everyone I know has their kids in private so how can one compare?! With that said there are very good schools in FL and some that need help. My kids were in IL, WI and NE and came down here for school; the system I put them in were middle of the road so they were a tad ahead but not much. Buchholz in Gainesville, Palm Harbor University H.S. in Palm Harbor, Zephyrhills H.S. in Zephyrhills, Lecanto H.S. (has I.B. doing great) are just a few from around the state that are doing good. Also, in Jax there is one school district that is impressive. There are too many variables to measure; I think teachers are underpaid and the ENTIRE American School system is behind in a world standing and all need improvements, support and parents need to teach as well; parents can't put it all on the teachers, overloaded with students and red tape from districts and our kids come out ahead.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 PM

It seems there are a lot of strong opinions on that thread! - most of them having negative opinions of the Florida school system :-/. I guess my next question is- what exactly is it that makes the FL schools so bad in comparison to the north? I hear what you are saying in regards to "teaching to the test", but they definitely do the same here in NY. My son (a first grader) gets 15 minutes for recess each day and 15 minutes to eat lunch. Why? Gotta prepare for those tests coming up in 4th grade! Reading, math, more reading, more math. There are no gifted programs, they have gym twice a week, and specials are limited. I'm not going to say I don't like the school he is in because I do. He has had 2 wonderful teachers for kindergarten and first grade, and he is in a dual language program which I find to be fantastic because he needs the extra challenge. However, the schools have been teaching to the test for a long time here and it does not benefit our young children at all in my opinion. I am invested in being a very active participant in my children's learning of course (especially being a teacher myself) but I still want my kids to be in good schools.
I would be particulalry interested in hearing from anyone who has moved from LI to FL recently (with children of course) and tell me what your experience has been.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:

You won't find any districts in Florida that have a lot of great schools. What you will find a individual schools that are up with some of the best in the nation. I think FL has 10 of the top 100 HS?

It's all about the school zone for each school. You'll find the very good schools in areas that have high education/income levels.

National Schools - The Washington Post

Old 06-03-2012, 05:52 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
It seems there are a lot of strong opinions on that thread! - most of them having negative opinions of the Florida school system :-/. I guess my next question is- what exactly is it that makes the FL schools so bad in comparison to the north? I hear what you are saying in regards to "teaching to the test", but they definitely do the same here in NY. My son (a first grader) gets 15 minutes for recess each day and 15 minutes to eat lunch. Why? Gotta prepare for those tests coming up in 4th grade! Reading, math, more reading, more math. There are no gifted programs, they have gym twice a week, and specials are limited. I'm not going to say I don't like the school he is in because I do. He has had 2 wonderful teachers for kindergarten and first grade, and he is in a dual language program which I find to be fantastic because he needs the extra challenge. However, the schools have been teaching to the test for a long time here and it does not benefit our young children at all in my opinion. I am invested in being a very active participant in my children's learning of course (especially being a teacher myself) but I still want my kids to be in good schools.
I would be particulalry interested in hearing from anyone who has moved from LI to FL recently (with children of course) and tell me what your experience has been.
You can find comparable and better schools in various areas of Florida. Most of these places will be around bigger cities. The residents will have higher incomes and education levels.

There just happens to be a lot of lower income/education areas in Florida. Especially if you are comparing it to Long Island.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM

Huh - sounds a lot like Long Island ;-)

Old 06-03-2012, 06:24 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
The only people that seem to have a problem with Florida schools are carpetbaggers who move down here from New England. Because everything is better up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida