Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:47 AM

331 posts, read 1,544,964 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a survey question. Well, maybe that's just a sociologist in me, but I thought this might be interesting for everyone. How much do you pay per pound(or per item on certain things) for the following items(especially when they are in season in Fl) in your area. If possible, please tell your general location and the types of stores that you usually frequent. I'm particularly curious about the difference between local fruit markets, chain establishments such Publix, Winn Dixie or SuperWalmart as well as farmers' markets where you buy directly from the producer.

vegetables:
- tomatoes
- cucumbers
- potatoes
- eggplant
- bell peppers
- zuccini
- carrots
- beets
- melons
- watermelons

fruits:
- fl oranges
- fl tangerines
- fl grapefruits
- banana
- avocado(does Florida-grown Carribean variety ever get to the stores?)
- mango
- apples
- grapes
- persimmons(do you ever see locally grown ones?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 05:31 AM

22 posts, read 110,143 times
I cant help with you entire list but I did purchase tomatoes at Publix yesterday for $1.99 / lb. The tomatoes came from Canada.

Lots of the fruits and vegetables here are from South America or Mexico. It is something that bothers me because I try to buy American products and with the growing season in Florida, seems to be no reason to import produce that can be grown here.

In general, food costs more here and there is less selection in the stores than in Connecticut where I'm from.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,309,828 times
And there is a guy on another thread claiming that Florida agriculture is in great shape. But maybe this applies more to northern Florida than to southern Florida.

In any case, at least in southern Florida, you can find some local produce at independent produce stands. While the appearance of quality is inferior to what one usually finds in the big supermarket chains, the actual quality is comparable and the prices are anywhere from 25% to 75% less, unless one of the big chains is running a special on strawberries or melons when in season in Florida.

Your list is really too long to expect detailed answers on a forum like this, but, to answer a few, at an independent produce stand:

cucumbers, 5 for $1
eggplant $1.50 lb
zucchini $1.50 lb
bananas $0.29 lb
carrots 2 bags $1
peppers $1.50 lb
melons 2 for $3
apples $1.50 lb
grapefruit 3 for $2

Hope this helps.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:16 AM

7 posts, read 68,807 times
Default Fl. Vegetable Prices

I lived in the Naples area for 15 years before moving to north Fl. I willn't say where because it hasn't been over run yet.
Collier County is big farming area in Fl. I lived right next door to 2000 acres of tomatoes and of course had all I wanted. Plus surranded by other farms up and down the road from me.
All kinds of vegetables where grown in the county. All the farms had there packing houses right on the farms which were with in a couple of miles of Publix, Winn Dixie and other local stores.
But when you went to buy the prices where out of site. The local Naples newspaper had a front page article on vegetable prices. They said the local stores marked up vegetable by 800%-900%. When ever I went into the stores you would always see them taking boxes of rotten items to the back.
I guess it's more profitable to sell high and throw out half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: