Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times

Advertisements

If I could live anywhere I wanted, it would be Palm Beach. (Not West Palm).

Palm Beach is still a town where you can walk or bike to shop, where there aren't 7-11's and banks on every corner, and where there aren't strip centers everywhere. It's still a town you can feel safe in at night, where the police know who is supposed to be there and who isn't. It's on the water, and is clean and very pretty.

Of course, I can't afford it, but I think it's the nicest place in South Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
If I could live anywhere I wanted, it would be Palm Beach. (Not West Palm).

Palm Beach is still a town where you can walk or bike to shop, where there aren't 7-11's and banks on every corner, and where there aren't strip centers everywhere. It's still a town you can feel safe in at night, where the police know who is supposed to be there and who isn't. It's on the water, and is clean and very pretty.

Of course, I can't afford it, but I think it's the nicest place in South Florida.

It's my goal to live on Palm Beach someday. Or at least have a "Winter Villa" there, lol.

Anyway, you'd actually be surprised. You can find condos on the Island that, while not CHEAP, are not unattainable.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbelinabumpkin View Post

Jupiter Looks super. Is it really busy because it is so close to Miami? Or is it a pretty relaxed atmosphere?

Jupiter is great. Besides Palm Beach Island, it's my favorite town in Palm Beach County (and infinitely more like a "real" town than Palm Beach).

It's one of the most relaxed places in Palm Beach County... save for Tequesta, it's northern, more laid-back neighbor.

But Jupiter isn't commutable to Melbourne.....

Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 AM

23 posts, read 98,364 times
Thanks for the PB suggestion, I'll definitely check it out.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:27 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Jupiter is great. Besides Palm Beach Island, it's my favorite town in Palm Beach County (and infinitely more like a "real" town than Palm Beach).
You're kidding, right?
Where is the Main Street in Jupiter? You know, the one where all the stores are, where you park on the street, and walk on the sidewalk, stopping in at different stores. The one where there are no strip centers and parking lots? The downtown that you can walk to, go to a bar or out for dinner, and walk home.

How about the police department? You know, the one where they know the homeowners and where people live?

Jupiter is a place on the map. Palm Beach is a real town.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:37 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
You're kidding, right?
Where is the Main Street in Jupiter? You know, the one where all the stores are, where you park on the street, and walk on the sidewalk, stopping in at different stores. The one where there are no strip centers and parking lots? The downtown that you can walk to, go to a bar or out for dinner, and walk home.

How about the police department? You know, the one where they know the homeowners and where people live?

Jupiter is a place on the map. Palm Beach is a real town.
People were asked a question, it's not a debate.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I'm in Tampa, which I like, but if jobs weren't an issue, I'd move back to Destin/Ft Walton Beach/Niceville area in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, due to all the military bases in the panhandle, the employers KNOW they have a captive labor market and exploit it to the fullest. Add to that the military retirees who work because they're bored and don't care what they make and you have the recipe for unbelievably low wages.

Which is sad, because it's a wonderful part of the state.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 AM

I've heard a lot of good things about Destin, thanks for that. Since there is a lot of military there, is it really conservative? I only ask, because Great Falls Montana is really conservative due in part it seems to the Air Force base. We are freaky liberals and don't want to deal with a huge right wing christian conservative majority. We just want to chill, surf (i know the waves aren't huge, boogie board maybe), drink boat drinks and fly helicopters (no boat drinks while flying, of course)

Thanks for the input on Jupiter, it is one at the top of the list because it is so beautiful. I looked at the Palm Beach website, and it looks much to our liking. I was surprized by the rent in Florida, all of it seems pretty affordable. Believe it or not, rent for a house in Florida is about the same as rent for a house in Western Montana! I was shocked. I've found some pretty decent houses close to or on the water for around the $1500.00/mo mark, is that normal?

Thanks again everyone!
So far the top of the list includes Melbourne, Jupiter/PB, and the Keys(dreamin of course on the Keys, maybe some day)
Need more info on Destin, but it seems lots of folks like it.
Peace everybody

Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbelinabumpkin View Post
We are freaky liberals and don't want to deal with a huge right wing christian conservative majority.
Then the panhandle is probably not for you. Although, Destin and Pensacola are probably the most liberal areas up here. Calling them liberal is comparing them to the more conservative areas on the panhandle. They are not liberal by California, New York, or even Tampa or Miami standards.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Thanks Deckardc, I don't want to assume that all people in the military are conservative, but in my experience I've found that most are. Not trying to be inflamatory here, just IME. I do thank the folks in the military for all they do, I'll leave it at that.
We do want to do a bit of surfing/boogie boarding, so the Atlantic side of Florida seems appealing, am I incorrect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida