Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:05 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had experience working with a public adjuster to settle an insurance claim? My mom has a claim and they ignored her estimates and sent a different company out to give her an estimate. He never gave her the estimate, just asked her to sign a consent to begin work order. She did not sign it, said that she wanted a written estimate. Then she came home one morning and a crew was working on her roof. She told them to stop and that she was not paying for anything that they had done, as she had not authorized any work. She called the contractor that the insurance company had sent for the estimate and told him to get his men off of her roof, that he had never provided her with an estimate, as she had requested several times over the previous weeks. Two days later she received his estimate in the mail and the next day she received a letter from her insurance carrier saying that, per his estimate, they were sending her a check for $X.

I told her not to sign the check and I would contact a public adjuster. If the insurance company gives her a hard time, what are her rights? I think that they are pressuring her because of her age and knowing that hurricane season is cranking up, she wants the repair done timely to prevent further damage to her ceiling. The insurance company did send someone to come and put a tarp over the area that is causing the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 03:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Have you called the Insurance Commissioner?

If not, that's what I'd do. They are the representative for the public when there are issues that arise with insurance companies. You should be able to find the Commissioner on your mother's city website.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:15 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,982 times
In this case, I do not think I would be contacting a public adjuster. The carrier has already made up its mind it's going to stick it to her. I think I would be calling an attorney.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:10 AM

32 posts, read 95,378 times
Personally, I wouldn't use a public adjuster -- they will just take 10-20% off the top of what your insurance company pays you.

Have you called a contractor of your own and had them give an estimate? You can them submit that written estimate to the insurance company, and they should pay based on that.

Just out of curiosity -- what insurance company do you have?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu_00 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't use a public adjuster -- they will just take 10-20% off the top of what your insurance company pays you.

Have you called a contractor of your own and had them give an estimate? You can them submit that written estimate to the insurance company, and they should pay based on that.

Just out of curiosity -- what insurance company do you have?

It's my mom's policy- Travelers. I have State Farm and they were very good on a claim that I had. Neither of us have ever had a claim before.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
It's my mom's policy- Travelers. I have State Farm and they were very good on a claim that I had. Neither of us have ever had a claim before.

Along with the Insurance Commissioner's office...

There is also the Florida Dept. of Financial Services (might be connected to the Commissioner's office?...not sure......but they are also consumer advocates):

For insurance questions or problems:

Toll Free Consumer Helpline: 1-800-342-2762

Internet: http://www.fldfs.com/

They have offices in all of the major cities in Florida - if your mom is in Jacksonville, she can contact the local office:

921 N. Davis Street
Bldg B, Suite 260
Jax, FL 32209
(904) 798-5800

You can also request a package of Consumer Info - the booklet "Insuring Your Home" is really helpful. It explains your rights, walks you through the claims process and how to work through disputes, etc. I was at a meeting recently and one of their reps was speaking, we were handed a stack of their materials and there's some really helpful stuff (I'm still going through it all ).

Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Along with the Insurance Commissioner's office...

There is also the Florida Dept. of Financial Services (might be connected to the Commissioner's office?...not sure......but they are also consumer advocates):

For insurance questions or problems:

Toll Free Consumer Helpline: 1-800-342-2762

Internet: Florida Department of Financial Services

They have offices in all of the major cities in Florida - if your mom is in Jacksonville, she can contact the local office:

921 N. Davis Street
Bldg B, Suite 260
Jax, FL 32209
(904) 798-5800

You can also request a package of Consumer Info - the booklet "Insuring Your Home" is really helpful. It explains your rights, walks you through the claims process and how to work through disputes, etc. I was at a meeting recently and one of their reps was speaking, we were handed a stack of their materials and there's some really helpful stuff (I'm still going through it all ).

Thanks for the info! I actually used to work for that department. I am more interested in hearing others experiences using a public adjuster. I know that it is an option, have heard positive things from two folks that I know, but no downside. Even the fee that they charge- I have been told that they get a higher settlement, so even paying the fee, you can get the job done right.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I actually used to work for that department. I am more interested in hearing others experiences using a public adjuster.
Okay, now I get it . I was reading more into "what are her rights?" and "negotiating insurance settlements" - I thought you were looking for more info beyond public adjusters from the way I interpreted the post.......sorry! I'll shut up now and let others post about their PA experiences .

Old 08-21-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Okay, now I get it . I was reading more into "what are her rights?" and "negotiating insurance settlements" - I thought you were looking for more info beyond public adjusters from the way I interpreted the post.......sorry! I'll shut up now and let others post about their PA experiences .
My bad.... you're right, I did pose that question! I think that I have since gotten fixated on the public adjuster part of it. Thanks-

Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,156,581 times
I used a public adjuster once. All I can tell you is that they charged a lot - 20% I think it was. It all sounded very nice at the beginning - to get your business and then it's really all up to you to deal with the workers, the bank, the mortgage people, the inspectors, etc. All the adjuster did was come the first time (to sign me up) and the 2nd time with the insurance inspector, did a walk through. After that, I did every bit of fighting and paperwork.

The bank took a long time to disburse all the funds (it was in parts depending on part of work done and receipts). The adjuster was sending me nasty letters and leaving nasty messages.

I told them they would get their money when I had gotten all my money and that they hadn't earned anywhere near the 20%, but I had to pay them anyway. I'm the one who dealt with all the aggravation. They should have paid me their 20% PLUS.

I have heard that 20% is extremely high. The people I used are part of NBC's local network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida